I FINALLY Got Time Bomb

Started by NancyDrew, November 22, 2009, 10:01:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NancyDrew

For months, years even, lol I've wanted this book. By chance, I discovered The Alien Factor in Half Priced Book store and I instantly really wanted the original one. I finally broke down and got it online. (I very large accomplisment I must add because my parents are very paranoid about buying online.) The moment it got here I began reading it and finished it within an hour or so.

The result? Well..............................I was a little disapointed to be honest.  :-\  Maybe I was expecting too much from the book but I didn't really care for it as much as I had imagined I would. I liked the relationship between Tom/Hardys a TON more than the second so that was good.  :)

I still think it was really good. It makes me sad because there are only two books but I guess I have two good ones to appreciate.  :D

tomswift2002

Yeah, it's too bad that they didn't continue the series since it was a really different direction for the Hardy's.

But what did you not like about Time Bomb?
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

NancyDrew

Quote from: tomswift2002 on November 23, 2009, 05:37:17 PM
Yeah, it's too bad that they didn't continue the series since it was a really different direction for the Hardy's.

But what did you not like about Time Bomb?

Omgosh I know! I totally agree. It saddens me because it was never given the chance to develop into something even better.

To be honest, it's just little tiny details that most people wouldn't be bothered over. I just wish they had spent a little bit more time in the past. I don't know. I think it would have made it more interesting. I think the plot sometimes went fast and then really slow. Oh and about the time, why didn't they go back to 1927?!!! Seriously, lol. If you're going back to the that time period, why not then? In fact, that's why I thought they were going back to that time was to shout-out their original publication date. Isn't that what they did numerous times before in other serious? It's a tiny detail but I was thinking that would be there and it wasn't thus my little bit of disappointment. Lol I don't know.  Again, it's just tiny details. I loved the book overall; it was just lose tiny things that I was kinda looking forward to that didn't quite make it into the book.

SDLagent

They should have gone back to 1927, your right. I thought that when I first read it, too. A short stop in 1910 (Tom's birth date) would have made sense, as well.

I would have liked to see the series last longer, too, but at same time, maybe it's better we got two top-notch novels, rather than a few good ones and a lot of mediocre ones. When Jim Salicrup of Papercutz, mentioned his company might start a Tom Swift series, I hoped it would eventually lead to a revival of The Hardy Boys/Tom Swift crossovers, but, sadly, it seems the Tom Swift series is (at best) on Papercutz's back-burner.

NancyDrew

Quote from: SDLagent on November 24, 2009, 10:21:01 PM
They should have gone back to 1927, your right. I thought that when I first read it, too. A short stop in 1910 (Tom's birth date) would have made sense, as well.

I would have liked to see the series last longer, too, but at same time, maybe it's better we got two top-notch novels, rather than a few good ones and a lot of mediocre ones. When Jim Salicrup of Papercutz, mentioned his company might start a Tom Swift series, I hoped it would eventually lead to a revival of The Hardy Boys/Tom Swift crossovers, but, sadly, it seems the Tom Swift series is (at best) on Papercutz's back-burner.

I'm not sure why they didn't; it really doesn't make sense to me. They made other decisions in the series under the control of S&S that I don't always really understand. Yes! That would have.

Very true. That's the silver lining. That I do appreciate. However, with the other series of ND/HB at the same time that was overall well written, I can't help but become wishful. ;) Lol
Oh really? Well that is sad. Probably do to the lack of success of the previous series they might be unwilling to try again.

Bigfootman

Quote from: NancyDrew on December 27, 2009, 06:46:20 PM
I'm not sure why they didn't; it really doesn't make sense to me. They made other decisions in the series under the control of S&S that I don't always really understand. Yes! That would have.

Very true. That's the silver lining. That I do appreciate. However, with the other series of ND/HB at the same time that was overall well written, I can't help but become wishful. ;) Lol
Oh really? Well that is sad. Probably do to the lack of success of the previous series they might be unwilling to try again.
You never know, with the appearance of the Dana Girls in two Nancy Drew Graphic Novels, there's a chance that Tom Swift will appear in a Hardy Boys Graphic Novel.

http://bigfootmanshardyboysandnancydrew.blogspot.ca

Most Recent Post:
"Tom Swift Inventors' Academy" Cancelled?

SDLagent

NancyDrew

It'd be nice if they would.

I do have to edit my original feelings about the book. I enjoy it much more although I do skip the first chapter completely. I think it might be just me, but I didn't like how the HB were protrayed especially Joe. It's much better in the Time Bomb but in the Alien Factor, they came off almost like second class citizens imo. It could have just been me. I am a HB fan not a Tom Swift one so it could be how I view it but that's what has always rubbed me a bit wrong about the series.

SDLagent

What didn't you like about the first chapter? I can't remember it and am to lazy to go reread it.

NancyDrew

Boring. That's it. As I said, I'm not a Tom Swift fan so I pretty much skip a lot till I get to the HB. I do read the second but not the first.

P. Walker

I picked up this book at one of my local used book stores on Friday and have finally gotten around to reading it. Its different and Im not sure if I like it or not as its a very different breed than the Casefiles that Im so used to, but the writing is solid.

P. Walker

Quote from: P. Walker on March 26, 2012, 08:43:42 PM
I picked up this book at one of my local used book stores on Friday and have finally gotten around to reading it. Its different and Im not sure if I like it or not as its a very different breed than the Casefiles that Im so used to, but the writing is solid.

Well I finished Time Bomb this morning and I guess I'd give it a 6/10. had it been strictly a TS book, i wouldnt have rated it thus as I would have expected as such and taken it for what it was. As it stands becuase they included HB, I cant rate it higher. I always see the Hardy Boys as existing in our reality so adding in huge robots, holograms and time travel kinda ruined it for me. Dont get me wrong: its a fine read;' but one that will have to exist in another reality as far as I see it--even if they did mention three references to the earlier Casefiles.

One more thing that was bothering me about the book: how Frank was clueless about Swift Enterprises. I would have assumed that Frank wouldve kept up with a company like that so engrossed in emerging technologies. But oh well...

tomswift2002

Well you have to remember that Swift Enterprises tends to work on a bunch of top-secret things, so probably a lot of stuff that comes out to the public is more medical in nature, so Frank may not have paid a lot of attention to it in the past.  But, also, how do we know that Frank was clueless about Swift Enterprises, especially in the last chapter/universe?  It could've been Frank who suggested Swift Enterprises to his father for the footprint review.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

P. Walker

Quote from: Tomswift2002 on March 27, 2012, 03:47:43 PM
Well you have to remember that Swift Enterprises tends to work on a bunch of top-secret things, so probably a lot of stuff that comes out to the public is more medical in nature, so Frank may not have paid a lot of attention to it in the past.  But, also, how do we know that Frank was clueless about Swift Enterprises, especially in the last chapter/universe?  It could've been Frank who suggested Swift Enterprises to his father for the footprint review.

you have a point there