TV show episode discussion club?

Started by MacGyver, November 08, 2011, 07:12:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacGyver

"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Olivia

I could be up for this. I'll try, anyway :)

AlwaysAJoefan

What show version would we start with? I only have access to seasons 1 and 2 of The Hardy Boys Mysteries, but if I have enough time in advance, I can probably find a way to get the other versions that are available. :)
Want to cure this country? Try 2 Chronicles 7:14...

Olivia

Probably whatever most people have access to for now. (I have everything except the '50's stuff, but I have seen it.)

I'm going to guess and say the '77 series would probably be easiest. Or the '67 pilot that was put up a little while ago.

(I like your photo, btw, AlwaysAJoefan: "Your anger makes me happy" - with that bunny.)

AlwaysAJoefan

Quote from: Olivia on November 11, 2011, 10:46:10 PM
Probably whatever most people have access to for now. (I have everything except the '50's stuff, but I have seen it.)

I'm going to guess and say the '77 series would probably be easiest. Or the '67 pilot that was put up a little while ago.

OK, that sounds good. :)

(I like your photo, btw, AlwaysAJoefan: "Your anger makes me happy" - with that bunny.)

Thanks. I love Happy Bunny. :D

MacGyver

Yeah, I was afraid we would run into this issue. The main problem is that not all of the media (pilots, TV-movies, movies, TV shows, etc.) related to The Hardy Boys are officially released and even for what is- not all of it is necessarily readily available to everyone...
So anyway, here's kinda what I was thinking on this- we could have an assigned viewing piece each month (or perhaps every two weeks or so- it doesn't take nearly as long to watch a 1 hour show or 2 hour movie, etc. as it does to read a book- for most people anyway ;) ;D - so we don't necessarily have to do just one show per month. Of course, if we did that would really stretch things out for a long while- but I think we can do a bit more than that and speed it up some.)
      But perhaps the best way to do it would be to just assign certain shows to those members who have access to them. And then we can aim for a new post hopefully every week with a review of said show. Those who have it could watch at their leisure and chime in on the review and those who don't can get an idea of what it's like and whether it's worth seeking out.
      And hopefully that way we could get most every media appearance for The Hardy Boys covered in some fashion at least once.
Sound like a plan?
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: MacGyver on November 13, 2011, 01:40:44 AM
Yeah, I was afraid we would run into this issue. The main problem is that not all of the media (pilots, TV-movies, movies, TV shows, etc.) related to The Hardy Boys are officially released and even for what is- not all of it is necessarily readily available to everyone...
So anyway, here's kinda what I was thinking on this- we could have an assigned viewing piece each month (or perhaps every two weeks or so- it doesn't take nearly as long to watch a 1 hour show or 2 hour movie, etc. as it does to read a book- for most people anyway ;) ;D - so we don't necessarily have to do just one show per month. Of course, if we did that would really stretch things out for a long while- but I think we can do a bit more than that and speed it up some.)
      But perhaps the best way to do it would be to just assign certain shows to those members who have access to them. And then we can aim for a new post hopefully every week with a review of said show. Those who have it could watch at their leisure and chime in on the review and those who don't can get an idea of what it's like and whether it's worth seeking out.
      And hopefully that way we could get most every media appearance for The Hardy Boys covered in some fashion at least once.
Sound like a plan?

That's fine with me. :)

AlwaysAJoefan

Quote from: MacGyver on November 13, 2011, 01:40:44 AM
Sound like a plan?

Sounds pretty good. :)

MacGyver

Cool.  8)
Well, if we want to proceed with that, there are two weeks and a few days left in November and Thanksgiving will be here soon. Shall we try to pick something for viewing and a review by the end of the month? (I'm kinda leaning toward the 1967 The Hardy Boys: The Mystery of the Chinese Junk pilot myself.) That's the only pilot TV-movie of its nature for The Hardy Boys. I think we may want to wait to tackle something like the serials on The Mickey Mouse Club [which admittedly, at this point, we could only really cover the first one anyway.] And unless The Hardy Boys cartoon suddenly gets released to DVD or something- I don't know that we'll be able to get to that series... which is honestly probably not a huge loss with its super-condensed-ness, but from the one episode I was able to see a while back- there are still some aspects of it I appreciate.
    So basically, after the '67 pilot and the '50s serials, we'd be looking at the '70s series (at least the first 2 seasons anyway) and then the '90s series. (and perhaps branch out from there to related projects.)

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: MacGyver on November 13, 2011, 07:26:25 PM
Cool.  8)
Well, if we want to proceed with that, there are two weeks and a few days left in November and Thanksgiving will be here soon. Shall we try to pick something for viewing and a review by the end of the month? (I'm kinda leaning toward the 1967 The Hardy Boys: The Mystery of the Chinese Junk pilot myself.) That's the only pilot TV-movie of its nature for The Hardy Boys. I think we may want to wait to tackle something like the serials on The Mickey Mouse Club [which admittedly, at this point, we could only really cover the first one anyway.] And unless The Hardy Boys cartoon suddenly gets released to DVD or something- I don't know that we'll be able to get to that series... which is honestly probably not a huge loss with its super-condensed-ness, but from the one episode I was able to see a while back- there are still some aspects of it I appreciate.
    So basically, after the '67 pilot and the '50s serials, we'd be looking at the '70s series (at least the first 2 seasons anyway) and then the '90s series. (and perhaps branch out from there to related projects.)

I can't view the 1967 plot. But I could do The Mystery of the Applegate Treasure. I have that on DVD. And the 77' series one and two, and I could the the 90's series. :) We are not viewing the Nancy Drew episodes, are we?  ::)

MacGyver

Well, the Nancy Drew episodes are part of the '70s show and I would certainly include them- but you don't have to watch them if you don't want to. By the way, if you want access to the '67 pilot, I'll send you a PM.

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: MacGyver on November 13, 2011, 10:53:06 PM
Well, the Nancy Drew episodes are part of the '70s show and I would certainly include them- but you don't have to watch them if you don't want to. By the way, if you want access to the '67 pilot, I'll send you a PM.

Well I guess I can watch the Nancy Drew episodes, even though they aren't my favourite.  Is watching the '67 plot legal? I can't take a risk on getting in trouble.

MacGyver

Well, no, not exactly... It's a pilot for a possible TV series that never happened. The pilot was aired once and then lost to time (except for dedicated fans who have kept it preserved via bootleg copies, etc.) It's about the same as taping shows from TV to watch later and trading those around- none of that is really technically legal since it's a breach of copyright. However, with this pilot, it seems highly unlikely the copyright owners are ever going to release it to any kind of media and thus it's rather impossible to watch otherwise. (Though I'd love to get it on DVD if it ever were released.) So I'll let everyone make their own judgment call on that one- if you don't feel comfortable with it, then you can skip that one. We've kinda reviewed it already in the thread for it anyway.

AlwaysAJoefan

Mac, how can I access the '67 pilot? :)

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: AlwaysAJoefan on November 14, 2011, 06:14:15 PM
Mac, how can I access the '67 pilot? :)

You can't view that on dial-up, can you?