The boys in pop culture

Started by SDLagent, December 07, 2009, 11:15:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacGyver

Now this is pretty cool too. :) 8)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

MacGyver

And here are The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew- in cross stitch! (Obviously inspired by The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries depiction of them by Parker Stevenson, Shaun Cassidy and Pamela Sue Martin! Awesome!) :) 8)

"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

MacGyver

And I don't know exactly where this should go, but I guess it will fit here. Someone made an Edward Stratemeyer action figure! Okay, more like a miniature doll. Anyway, it's pretty cool. 8) :)

And look- he's holding miniature copies of The House on the Cliff and The Mark on the Door! :) 8)

tomswift2002

Accurate...to a point.  Edward Stratemeyer, while he wrote the outline for The House On The Cliff, he had passed away by the time The Mark On The Door was even thought of and outlined (if I recall, he had outlined up to #11 While The Clock Ticked, possible #12 Footprints Under The Window).
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

Good catch. That felt like an Encyclopedia Brown moment- "That was their mistake! The figure had to be a fake because a real Stratemeyer historian would know which books Edward Stratemeyer had outlined." :D
     Oh well- I imagine those two were favorite titles for the creator of the figure.

tomswift2002

At least, as far as the mistake goes, the person wasn't that far off, since "Mark On The Door" was first released in 1934 (four years after Stratemeyer died).  It would've been a bigger error if it had been a book like "Mystery Of The Spiral Brdge" or "The Night of The Werewolf" from the 60's or 70's.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

This entry is going in the just-so-you're-aware category, certainly not to recommend it. It seems someone has recently put out a decidedly X-rated parody version of The Hardy Boys books. I just ran across this listing on Amazon.com for The Pardy Boys. Interesting- the title, Where Moth and Rust Destroy, alludes to Matthew 6:19-21, the part of the Sermon on the Mount where Jesus talks about laying up treasures in Heaven- where moth and rust do not destroy.
?Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; 20 but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." (Matthew 6:19-21 in the NKJV)

Apparently, part of the plot of the book involves Frank and Joe Pardy, sons of famed lawyer Benton Pardy, trying to solve a mystery that involves a family Bible, so this may help explain the title, seeing as how this Frank and Joe are looking for treasures stored up on Earth. You can read through a few sample pages of the book, but you will probably be thoroughly disgusted and gladdened that at least the UB and HBA books are nowhere near this level of dreck.
        Sadly, it appears the author is writing a sequel as well. I don't want to discourage artistry and creativity, but such vicious parody and mockery I don't encourage at all. >:( :(

Judah-Ben-Hur

the band 'Honor Society' has an album intitled "A Tale of Risky Business" that has a cover that is a mock up of a Nappi style Hardy Boys cover (Makes me think of wailing siren)
Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.~ Joshua 1:9

MacGyver

WOW! That's awesome! :) 8)
It is reminiscent of The Wailing Siren Mystery and The House on the Cliff and other covers where the Hardy Boys and friends are sailing in their boat, but I'm pretty positive this cover is directly inspired by The Secret Warning- it's almost an exact copy.

VLoneWolf

Judah-Ben-Hur

Quote from: MacGyver on July 12, 2013, 09:08:01 AM
WOW! That's awesome! :) 8)
It is reminiscent of The Wailing Siren Mystery and The House on the Cliff and other covers where the Hardy Boys and friends are sailing in their boat, but I'm pretty positive this cover is directly inspired by The Secret Warning- it's almost an exact copy.

The secret Warning!!! THat's it, I didn't think I was right, but it looked so familiar that I pinned it as either a cover variant or that I was wrong.
Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.~ Joshua 1:9

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: MacGyver on May 17, 2013, 03:04:13 PM
This entry is going in the just-so-you're-aware category, certainly not to recommend it. It seems someone has recently put out a decidedly X-rated parody version of The Hardy Boys books. I just ran across this listing on Amazon.com for The Pardy Boys. Interesting- the title, Where Moth and Rust Destroy, alludes to Matthew 6:19-21, the part of the Sermon on the Mount where Jesus talks about laying up treasures in Heaven- where moth and rust do not destroy.
?Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; 20 but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." (Matthew 6:19-21 in the NKJV)

Apparently, part of the plot of the book involves Frank and Joe Pardy, sons of famed lawyer Benton Pardy, trying to solve a mystery that involves a family Bible, so this may help explain the title, seeing as how this Frank and Joe are looking for treasures stored up on Earth. You can read through a few sample pages of the book, but you will probably be thoroughly disgusted and gladdened that at least the UB and HBA books are nowhere near this level of dreck.
        Sadly, it appears the author is writing a sequel as well. I don't want to discourage artistry and creativity, but such vicious parody and mockery I don't encourage at all. >:( :(

Wow, I bet he really had to think up a plot! ::) 

MacGyver

I found this interesting reinterpretation of some classic Hardy Boys book covers by an artist online. The books featured are The Yellow Feather Mystery, The Sign of the Crooked Arrow and The Mystery of the Chinese Junk.

MacGyver

Yet another of The Hardy Boys' side ventures- woodworking. :) 8)
(I somehow get the feeling this is the outgrowth of one of Chet's hobbies that he somehow convinced Frank and Joe to invest in....)

MacGyver

And I guess that undercover work in Highway Robbery really struck a chord with Frank and Joe, so they decided to go into the trucking business as well! :) 8)