The boys in pop culture

Started by SDLagent, December 07, 2009, 11:15:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacGyver

A rap for The Hooded Hawk Mystery ... I'm glad kids this guy's age are still reading The Hardy Boys Original Series, along with the other later books... :) 8)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

MacGyver

The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries show is mentioned and discussed in the "1977" episode of VH1's I Love The '70s Volume 2 series.
You can watch this clip on Youtube here. (It's from 51:29 to 53:00. It's a pretty short clip but at least the people interviewed were all pretty respectful to Nancy Drew and some revealed their fondness for her. Unfortunately, they didn't bother to include The Hardy Boys segment of the show... :()
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

MacGyver

Set list for the England-based band known as "The Hardy Boys" :)
Interesting song titles- I'm wondering about this No More Holy Joe song. I don't recall Joe ever having a real "holier than thou" complex- lol.  :D However, I can totally believe Frank sings Wake Up Sleepyhead to Joe each morning. ;D

MacGyver

I didn't know where this best fit but I ran across this and thought it was pretty cool- fan letters to Franklin W. Dixon from the 1930s! :) 8)
I wrote a fan letter to Franklin W. Dixon myself when I was in the 3rd. grade. (My teacher had suggested that I try Donald Sobol instead, probably because he's a real person ;)- and I love the Encyclopedia Brown books too, but I was set on writing to the author of The Hardy Boys books.) Of course, I only got the standard message from Simon & Schuster, "We're glad that you like our books. Thanks for buying them. Please keep doing so." on a yellow postcard, but still- it was fun. I kinda wish I'd kept it now, but it wasn't anything to get that excited about.
     Anyway, I thought it was pretty neat to read some of these letters to the author back when the series was first being written.

MacGyver

For even more photos, go look at the New York Public Library's photostream on Flickr. It apparently has an awesome children's literature exhibit up right now with a number of letters written by Edward Stratemeyer as well as ones to him. Some are written from him to his ghostwriters, including a few to Mrs. Wirt, giving her some direction on the writing of the first Nancy Drew book, The Secret of the Old Clock! :)
And there is also some correspondence between Stratemeyer and Horatio Alger, Jr.! There are also letters from Harriet Stratemeyer to her dad! And production schedules for the various Stratemeyer Syndicate books, including one from 1930 that lists some of the Tom Swift, The Bobbsey Twins, The Hardy Boys and of course, the first three Nancy Drew books. 8)
This is a great exhibit for children's literature fans in general and certainly specifically for fans of the Stratemeyer Syndicate books, chief among them being The Hardy Boys, of course. :D

MacGyver

A funny and obviously fanmade modification of an actual TV Guide ad for "The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew Meet Dracula" 2 part episode of The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries. :)

MacGyver

Here are a few articles on theatrical productions of plays based on The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew- apparently, there seem to have been a number of plays based on the books over the years.
The Hardy Boys in The Mystery of the Haunted House (1994 play)
Cover to Cover (2011 play)

SDLagent

Those parody covers are pretty cool.

MacGyver

Thought you might like those. :)

MacGyver

MacGyver

Wouldn't it be awesome to have this cover on your Kindle as you read the eBook version of The Wailing Siren Mystery, #30 in The Hardy Boys Mystery Stories? :) 8)

MacGyver

A Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew-inspired wedding theme! :)
(The book title they got was just perfect for the first honeymoon night. ;))

MacGyver

A mystery book cover (done for fun- not an actual published book) inspired by The Hardy Boys-

AlwaysAJoefan

Quote from: MacGyver on May 18, 2012, 03:56:12 PM
Wouldn't it be awesome to have this cover on your Kindle as you read the eBook version of The Wailing Siren Mystery, #30 in The Hardy Boys Mystery Stories? :) 8)

So want it!! :D :D
Want to cure this country? Try 2 Chronicles 7:14...

MacGyver

Okay- this isn't really a Hardy Boys cover parody like some of the others I posted, but it still evokes the same feel and still looks similar to a Grossett & Dunlap hardback classic. It's apparently meant to have more of a Scooby-Doo vibe- either way, I think it's pretty cool.
Watch out, Dazzler! Ultron is creeping up behind you!