Recent posts

Public Domain / Re: The Crypto Mine Cypher
Last post by MysteryFan89 - September 18, 2023, 07:54:08 PM
I've read most of this book.😎 I really love the characters and setting you've put them in. It feels very up to date, but not at the same time. I'd recommend this book to anyone that loves the series as much as I do.

Can't wait for more.😊

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Public Domain / Re: Public Domain of the Hardy...
Last post by MysteryFan89 - September 18, 2023, 07:48:35 PM
Quote from: tomswift2002 on September 18, 2023, 11:50:38 AM"The Rime of the Ancient Mariner" is an English poem from 1798.

Here's Magneto reading it:

https://youtu.be/1raSUYAr0s0?si=XveZ3z0VxFl2tVOQ

Ah, interesting. Thanks for the link.
Last post by tomswift2002 - September 18, 2023, 11:50:38 AM
Quote from: MysteryFan89 on September 18, 2023, 11:28:10 AMIs that a book you've wrote or working on?

"The Rime of the Ancient Mariner" is an English poem from 1798.

Here's Magneto reading it:

https://youtu.be/1raSUYAr0s0?si=XveZ3z0VxFl2tVOQ
Last post by MysteryFan89 - September 18, 2023, 11:28:10 AM
Quote from: Brentski on September 17, 2023, 11:29:56 PMI didn't find the OT on Archive.org and I don't have a copy any longer. I'll have to try to track down a copy on eBay to see if Jerry and Phil are in it. I think Jerry is going to be my albatross (see The Rime of the Ancient Mariner). I used him as a tech expert in part because he was under-used in the canon. Now this fact is narrowing my options for gaining legal status in Canada for my series. Ah, well. You lay your bet and take your chances.

Is that a book you've wrote or working on?
Public Domain / Re: Free review copies of The ...
Last post by MysteryFan89 - September 18, 2023, 11:26:02 AM
Quote from: Brentski on September 17, 2023, 11:23:38 PMThanks so much. If you knew how much I second-guessed that change after I made it, you would know how much I appreciate that you approve of the change. I know not everyone will feel the same, but it helps to have you on my side!

You're welcome. :) I like the change, and it makes it different from any of the series. 
Last post by tomswift2002 - September 18, 2023, 07:56:29 AM
Quote from: Brentski on September 17, 2023, 11:29:56 PMI didn't find the OT on Archive.org and I don't have a copy any longer. I'll have to try to track down a copy on eBay to see if Jerry and Phil are in it. I think Jerry is going to be my albatross (see The Rime of the Ancient Mariner). I used him as a tech expert in part because he was under-used in the canon. Now this fact is narrowing my options for gaining legal status in Canada for my series. Ah, well. You lay your bet and take your chances.

Yeah it's one of those terrible things with copyright.  The main problem in Canada right now with the Hardy Boys is that the originating stories are still under copyright.  The stories that are in the public domain are derivatives of those originating stories. 

If you saw the other topic, I pointed out how the Tom Swift Sr series has the first 30 books in the series in the public domain in both countries (actually they are public domain in most countries with 70 year copyrights, so even in Britain people can use the stories without getting permission).
Last post by Brentski - September 17, 2023, 11:29:56 PM
Quote from: tomswift2002 on September 17, 2023, 12:22:30 PMHere's another Hardy Boys in the Canadian Public Domain: "The Hooded Hawk Mystery" (1954).  It was written by Charles S. Strong who died in 1962.  So it entered the Public Domain on January 1, 2013.

I didn't find the OT on Archive.org and I don't have a copy any longer. I'll have to try to track down a copy on eBay to see if Jerry and Phil are in it. I think Jerry is going to be my albatross (see The Rime of the Ancient Mariner). I used him as a tech expert in part because he was under-used in the canon. Now this fact is narrowing my options for gaining legal status in Canada for my series. Ah, well. You lay your bet and take your chances.
Last post by Brentski - September 17, 2023, 11:23:38 PM
Quote from: MysteryFan89 on September 17, 2023, 10:05:29 PMYeah, I don't like the early Tom Swift series. I do love what you've done with the characters. Female Joe really works. :)
I rarely say that about people (fanfic writers) that change the gender of a TV or book character.
Thanks so much. If you knew how much I second-guessed that change after I made it, you would know how much I appreciate that you approve of the change. I know not everyone will feel the same, but it helps to have you on my side!
Last post by MysteryFan89 - September 17, 2023, 10:05:29 PM
Quote from: Brentski on September 17, 2023, 01:21:47 AMNo, I'm not referring to the 60s versions. The originals I'm speaking of are the 1927 versions that entered the public domain this year. The named characters are the same, as are the setting. I've used those elements to build my story. You can get the 1927 texts for the first three books at Project Gutenberg. The details of the stories and some of the characterizations differ from the later, revised versions of the stories. There are also 25 chapters in each book instead of 20 - which gives a bit more room for character dialog and added plot elements.

I've read a few Nancy Drew's and enjoyed them. I should give Tom Swift a try!

Yeah, I don't like the early Tom Swift series. I do love what you've done with the characters. Female Joe really works. :)
I rarely say that about people (fanfic writers) that change the gender of a TV or book character.
Last post by tomswift2002 - September 17, 2023, 12:22:30 PM
Here's another Hardy Boys in the Canadian Public Domain: "The Hooded Hawk Mystery" (1954).  It was written by Charles S. Strong who died in 1962.  So it entered the Public Domain on January 1, 2013.