Recent posts

Hardy Boys Casefiles / Re: #58 Spiked! (32nd Annivers...
Last post by MacGyver - April 02, 2024, 01:35:44 AM
QuoteI forgot that Spiked! was the second book in the January 1999 The Hardy Boys Casefiles Collector's Edition Volume 3 book.  That book was later, I believe, released exclusively through Borders in the US in a hardcover edition that used the file folder cover art of the last Hardy Boys Mystery Stories books, including the blue spine, in December 2005, under the Aladdin imprint, using the artwork from #152 Danger In the Extreme.  To date, that 2005 printing is the last American printing of any Casefiles in physical format.
It looks like some still are in print.  :o
http://www.braillebookstore.com/Hardy-Boys-Mysteries
Hardy Boys Casefiles / Re: #58 Spiked! (32nd Annivers...
Last post by tomswift2002 - April 01, 2024, 01:04:53 PM
I forgot that Spiked! was the second book in the January 1999 The Hardy Boys Casefiles Collector's Edition Volume 3 book.  That book was later, I believe, released exclusively through Borders in the US in a hardcover edition that used the file folder cover art of the last Hardy Boys Mystery Stories books, including the blue spine, in December 2005, under the Aladdin imprint, using the artwork from #152 Danger In the Extreme.  To date, that 2005 printing is the last American printing of any Casefiles in physical format.

Also, Spiked! never received a UK release in an omnibus release, so in the UK it was only release as a standalone book in October 1994.  (Also, as of this writing, the hardyboys.co.uk website is inactive, although it can be found with the Wayback Machine on the Internet Archive minus all the book cover scans.)
Hardy Boys Casefiles / #58 Spiked! (32nd Anniversary ...
Last post by tomswift2002 - March 31, 2024, 06:41:12 PM
Published: December 1991
Publisher: Archway Paperbacks (1991-1997, stand alone title), (1999-2001, part of The Hardy Boys Casefiles Collector's Edition #3), Aladdin Paperbacks (December 2005, hardcover) No Digital
Author: Unknown as of March 2024

Plot: When the competition gets hot---someone's bound to take a fall!

Thirst for danger!

A vacation in Laguna Beach, California, together with a big time volleyball tournament in the sun and sand, have put the Hardy's in seventh heaven.  The action promises to be hard and fast and fun---so what could possible go wrong? Nothing...until the games begin and murder takes a hand!

The Frosty Soft Drink Company is sponsoring the event to promote their new sports drink, Hi-Kick.  But the contest has turned into a tournament of terror,  and one competitor has already paid with his life.  Frank and Joe Will have to high kick their game into high gear---before the cost of a cold drink puts someone else on ice!

Review:  I remember first reading this book around 1995-96.  I remember at the time that Baywatch was a pretty hot TV show (and it also featured for Frank Hardy actor-Parker Stevenson) at the time, and even in 1991, Baywatch had just hit it big in the syndication market, so looking at the cover of Spiked! it looks like Simon & Schuster was maybe aiming for the Baywatch crowd.
Quote from: tomswift2002 on March 29, 2024, 05:56:12 PMI just finished the book.  I've been busy with other stuff, so today I decided to finish it.

In the end, it turned out that the Hardy's and Nancy were going after two different crooks.  Although, with the Grant Shulman storyline the author kind of dropped it right at the end, when there was still more to it.  The author had Nancy, Bess and the lead actor on the movie do a stake out where the lead actor was wearing a mic and Nancy was able to record the conversation.  Anyway, the actor met with someone who flew in representing another production company, gave some clues, then left, and then the author had Nancy, Bess and the actor rush to the movie set where a bomb had been planted, and the assistant director, Grant Shulman, was arrested, and then nothing else was said about the other production company or the person who had flown in.  Aside from being rivals, it was never really explained why the other production company wanted the movie shut down.

The other plot involving the murder of the race car driver, turns out the President of the Auto Federation was involved as well as a woman race driver, and it wasn't really clear why they wanted to steal the prize money for the race, however, part of her deal was that the President would promote her more in the Federation.  And the race car driver who had been killed had been blackmailing them.

Joe and Bess seemed to have some sort of friendship/romance relationship going on, but it really went nowhere, of course in all the SuperMystery'88 books and I even remember back in the Super Sleuths! books Joe and Bess had that friendship/romance type relationship.    Of course we do know that Joe and Bess do get married eventually...!  ;D

Rating: 7/10
This was also played around with to a small degree on The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries in "The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew Meet Dracula" 2 part episode.
And yes- there is that "marriage" in Secrets of the Nile. :D
I just finished the book.  I've been busy with other stuff, so today I decided to finish it.

In the end, it turned out that the Hardy's and Nancy were going after two different crooks.  Although, with the Grant Shulman storyline the author kind of dropped it right at the end, when there was still more to it.  The author had Nancy, Bess and the lead actor on the movie do a stake out where the lead actor was wearing a mic and Nancy was able to record the conversation.  Anyway, the actor met with someone who flew in representing another production company, gave some clues, then left, and then the author had Nancy, Bess and the actor rush to the movie set where a bomb had been planted, and the assistant director, Grant Shulman, was arrested, and then nothing else was said about the other production company or the person who had flown in.  Aside from being rivals, it was never really explained why the other production company wanted the movie shut down.

The other plot involving the murder of the race car driver, turns out the President of the Auto Federation was involved as well as a woman race driver, and it wasn't really clear why they wanted to steal the prize money for the race, however, part of her deal was that the President would promote her more in the Federation.  And the race car driver who had been killed had been blackmailing them.

Joe and Bess seemed to have some sort of friendship/romance relationship going on, but it really went nowhere, of course in all the SuperMystery'88 books and I even remember back in the Super Sleuths! books Joe and Bess had that friendship/romance type relationship.    Of course we do know that Joe and Bess do get married eventually...!  ;D

Rating: 7/10
Just an interesting observation, but with New Year's Evil the SuperMystery'88 series gained a new logo.  Gone is the bar logo, and now is the square logo.
General Hardy Boys Discussions / Re: The boys in pop culture
Last post by NZone - March 20, 2024, 10:51:39 AM
Stargate:Atlantis season 3 episode 9 "Phantoms" has the following exchange:

Ronon Dex: A Wraith bunker, but no Wraith.
Teyla Emmagan: It appears to have been abandoned for some time.
Lt. Colonel John Sheppard: The Genii probably stumbled on to it just like we did.
Dr. Carson Beckett: And then promptly killed each other. Why?
Dr. Rodney McKay: Another Hardy Boys mystery.
Quote from: tomswift2002 on March 16, 2024, 09:19:57 AMThey could have been, however as I noted, by the time the book was written, the show had been off the air for over a decade (and from what I know it didn't last long in Syndication, since there were only 40 episodes, and back then you needed 100 episodes for successful syndication—-Star Trek was the exception).  If you were asked to write a book based on the old Fox series "Fringe" without having seen it since it last aired in 2013, do you think that you could remember how the characters were portrayed or spoke? 
No, because I never watched "Fringe". ;D

However, I do have some vivid memories of shows I avidly watched as a kid. In any case, given that this book series was to focus on a crossover between The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew, it stands to reason that the authors would likely have studied previous pairings for ideas, so maybe they were watching episodes of the '70s series on Betamax, VHS or LaserDisc.
Quote from: MacGyver on March 15, 2024, 10:11:56 PMThe Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries was the first pairing of Frank and Joe with Nancy so it seems natural writers probably did look to the TV show as an influence. Of course, the writer of this book would have likely been of the right age to have grown up watching the show in its original run as well.

They could have been, however as I noted, by the time the book was written, the show had been off the air for over a decade (and from what I know it didn't last long in Syndication, since there were only 40 episodes, and back then you needed 100 episodes for successful syndication—-Star Trek was the exception).  If you were asked to write a book based on the old Fox series "Fringe" without having seen it since it last aired in 2013, do you think that you could remember how the characters were portrayed or spoke? 
Quote from: tomswift2002 on March 15, 2024, 07:55:02 AMIt's interesting, however, I'm finding that the author seems to have written Nancy, Frank and Joe as how Pamela Sue Martin, Parker Stevenson and Shaun Cassidy had portrayed them, of course updated for the late-80's/very early-90's.  Of course by November 1991 the Hardy Boys Nancy Drew Mysteries had been off-the-air for 12 years.  So a little odd, however, in 1985-1987 there had been VHS & Betamax releases, so maybe the author had been watching the tapes (or they had recorded all the episodes off broadcast at some point) just prior to writing and the had the actors in mind.
The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries was the first pairing of Frank and Joe with Nancy so it seems natural writers probably did look to the TV show as an influence. Of course, the writer of this book would have likely been of the right age to have grown up watching the show in its original run as well.