Mystery Of Cabin Island (Revised)

Started by Bigfootman, August 30, 2009, 08:52:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigfootman

A while ago, I read Mystery Of Cabin Island again to try to figure out why I hated it before. I came up with this reason:
At that time I had gotten to a point where I switched over to the Nancy Drew series, until I borrowed a ton of Bluespines. Therefore I had read a ton of mysteries revoling around ghosts. And Mystery Of Cabin Island involed a ghost. That could be why I didn't find the book very interesting.
However, I still only consider the book to be so and so, there are much better books out there. Including Foul Play (Casefiles), which has a chistmas theme too. If you are going to read this book every Chistmas, try reading Foul Play (Casefile) too. If you haven't already.

Rating: 6 out of 10

http://bigfootmanshardyboysandnancydrew.blogspot.ca

Most Recent Post:
"Tom Swift Inventors' Academy" Cancelled?

tomswift2002

The only "ghost" in the story is from a liquor or pop bottle that someone stuck in a crack in the cement holding the bricks together, to keep the wind out. 

Otherwise this is a Classic Christmas read, right up there with Dicken's A Christmas Carol.

As for Foul Play while it does have a Christmas theme, that theme is not as prominent as it is in The Mystery of Cabin Island (1966) or even as prominent as it is in The Mystery of Cabin Island (1929)[/i] (in the earlier book it features the Hardy Boys celebrating Christmas Day at the Island, and then going on a fox hunt on Boxing Day).

But it should be noted that when the Stratemeyer Syndicate was "updating" this volume, they got rid of the only instance in a story where you could pin the story to a particular decade, much less a particular year.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

tomswift2002

Oh yeah, another good book to read in just under 4 months will be A Crime For Christmas from the Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys SuperMystery'88 series.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 

4567TME

This book gets an:
(Well Done!) from my Book Rating System.

Bigfootman

Quote from: qweqwe on January 18, 2010, 07:39:20 PM
Construction puzzles are one of the other genre of wow power leveling puzzle games. In this game you need to assemble a puzzle from a given pieces in a specific wow power leveling way. This is a main category and some tiling wow gold uk puzzles, stick puzzles and many mechanical puzzles are in this category as well. Bridge Builder and The Incredible Machine are some of the online puzzle cheapest wow gold games in this category.
Sliding Puzzels, in this puzzles world of warcraft power leveling you need to slide the forms without raising them off the board. In well known game world of warcraft power leveling N-puzzle you need to slide flat forms along a board to make a specific end configuration. Due to these problems, Yuji Naka decided when innovating the third version of Sonic the Hedgehog, that only Japanese designers gold for wow would work in the creative core team to help do away some of the unnecessary trouble.
WHAT?

http://bigfootmanshardyboysandnancydrew.blogspot.ca

Most Recent Post:
"Tom Swift Inventors' Academy" Cancelled?

hexton

It's a very straightforward story and not all that exciting unless you really like winter camping.
It did take me several attempts to read it but it was my first Hardy book ever.

tomswift2002

Well it was a pretty decent revision with not that much taken away or added to it.  Unfortunately we never saw Cabin Island reappear in the later Revised books as it did in the Original texts (the boys didn't stay there again, but they did cruise by the island and I think they even stopped for a picnic there in one of the summer stories).

SDLagent

That's what happened a lot of times when the books were revised. References to past books were taken out and recurring characters were cut-back. I guess that's what happens when you go from one writer on the first 16 books to a lot of different writers.

tomswift2002

Quote from: SDLagent on August 02, 2010, 04:42:50 PM
I guess that's what happens when you go from one writer on the first 16 books to a lot of different writers.

Plus when the books were revised they weren't revised in order.  Basically Harriet Stratmeyer and everyone at the Stratemeyer Syndicate were taking a page from Collins (who didn't even have the rights to the series in Britain yet) by just updating whatever book they felt needed updating and reissuing.  But at the same time it also depended on which books Grosset & Dunlap was running out of.

Here's an example of how the Revision order went:

1959: 1 and 2
1961: 14
1962: 3, 4 and 11
1965: 7, 9, 12 and 16
1966: 8, 17, 24, 27, 37

NancyDrew

That's funny. I just read that book! I didn't like it the first time either but I really enjoyed it this past time. I just thought it was a nice book. I enjoyed it also because it showed them celebrating a holiday which we often don't see in the later versions.

And I will say I totally agree about the revision thing. The one thing I noticed when reading original versions was their strong connections throughout the series which is quite eliminated with revisions.