What do You think Should Happen Before the End of the UBs?

Started by Frank rules, July 23, 2009, 01:29:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank rules

Quote from: Bubbles on July 27, 2009, 06:52:17 PM
All valid points, and I agree.

However, I am only looking at the context of the UBs. It seems like they barely have time to do their homework, let alone have a social life. Thank $&$ and ATAC for that.
Maybe, that could be why they quit ATAC and go solo at the end of the series.

JoeHardyRocks

I don't think they should quit ATAC, it should close if ATAC is ending. But I would still like ATAC. And whoever said something about the WARD/ATAC showdown, that would be great!!! :D
"Hey! Don't do that here. You'll mess up my bedspread."
Rolling his eyes, Joe sat on the window sill and started sawing.
"Thank you, Joe."
"You're welcome, Martha Stewart."

SDLagent

Quote from: Buttercup on July 29, 2009, 06:20:21 PM
And whoever said something about the WARD/ATAC showdown, that would be great!!! :D

That would be me.

Frank rules

I still think that S&S should end the series with laying a background to begin another, more well-known series, like the Casefiles or Digests. It would be believable transition. I mean, in the UBs, the Hardys are, if I may say so, pretty awful and unfocused detectives. They are not yet with their known girlfriends, and they are quite terrible at lying. They are inexperienced. Most importantly, they are approximately 16 and 15 (In Martial Law, Chet is mentioned as being 16. Chet has always been the same age as Frank according to the orriginal Hardy Boys series. Joe is a year younger, so he would be 15.). If the UBs were cited as purely origin stories, a solid case could be made for the descision. A background could be laid for Frank and Joe meeting Callie and Iola and dating their long-time friends (Also, the original series says that the girls were Frank and Joe's favorite dates, meaning that in the UBs, Frank and Joe could have been with the several other women that they are seen flirting with (poorly) but decided that they liked Callie and Iola better). This decision would also explain where the boys got the several million skills that they use in the other series, and how they have so much experience solving cases.

tomswift2002

Well, they would also have to explain how Fenton Hardy is still a Professional Detective and is still working on cases, whereas in the UB's Fenton is retired and is ready for the "empty nest" syndrome.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

Frank rules

If they closed down ATAC before the end of the series, a case could be made for Fenton deciding to put all of his time and training on the force to good use by becoming a PI.

Olivia

Frank rules, I generally agree with what you are saying about another series (and I've said something similar).

$&$ would be smart to do something like that.

SDLagent

Quote from: Frank rules on July 30, 2009, 09:43:16 AM
I still think that S&S should end the series with laying a background to begin another, more well-known series, like the Casefiles or Digests. It would be believable transition. I mean, in the UBs, the Hardys are, if I may say so, pretty awful and unfocused detectives. They are not yet with their known girlfriends, and they are quite terrible at lying. They are inexperienced. Most importantly, they are approximately 16 and 15 (In Martial Law, Chet is mentioned as being 16. Chet has always been the same age as Frank according to the orriginal Hardy Boys series. Joe is a year younger, so he would be 15.). If the UBs were cited as purely origin stories, a solid case could be made for the descision. A background could be laid for Frank and Joe meeting Callie and Iola and dating their long-time friends (Also, the original series says that the girls were Frank and Joe's favorite dates, meaning that in the UBs, Frank and Joe could have been with the several other women that they are seen flirting with (poorly) but decided that they liked Callie and Iola better). This decision would also explain where the boys got the several million skills that they use in the other series, and how they have so much experience solving cases.

I agree. I've thought-up similar concepts in an attempt to fit the UB in with the rest of the Hardy Boys continuity. I'd say stories like The Tower Treasure and The House on the Cliff do take place before the UB, though. I've always thought of something like this:

The Hardy Boys #1-38 (original text)
Undercver Brothers
The Hardy Boys #1-38 (revised text)
The Hardy Boys #39-190
Casefiles

Of course, this is far from perfect. I'm sure you can think of many problems, the main ones coming from the Undercover Brothers, but some from the Casefiles, and even the Originals.

Quote from: tomswift2002 on July 30, 2009, 10:00:06 AM
Well, they would also have to explain how Fenton Hardy is still a Professional Detective and is still working on cases, whereas in the UB's Fenton is retired and is ready for the "empty nest" syndrome.

In the UB, Fenton is only semi-retired. If you remember, Fenton worked on a case in Running on Fumes. Some of the books may say Fenton is retired, but you have to take is as a grain of salt, since, with the UB series, most statements are contradicted by the next book, or even within the same book.

Frank rules

Quote from: SDLagent on July 30, 2009, 09:25:18 PM
I agree. I've thought-up similar concepts in an attempt to fit the UB in with the rest of the Hardy Boys continuity. I'd say stories like The Tower Treasure and The House on the Cliff do take place before the UB, though. I've always thought of something like this:

The Hardy Boys #1-38 (original text)
Undercver Brothers
The Hardy Boys #1-38 (revised text)
The Hardy Boys #39-190
Casefiles

Of course, this is far from perfect. I'm sure you can think of many problems, the main ones coming from the Undercover Brothers, but some from the Casefiles, and even the Originals.
I agree and I think that your list is nearing perfection. One major problem is the age discrepancy brought up in martial law but hinted at in other parts of the series. Chet (and by extension, Frank) is 16. Joe is (presumably) 15. So, Tower treasue couldn't happen before the UBs, because in it, Frank is 18 and Joe is 17.

SDLagent

Quote from: Frank rules on July 31, 2009, 05:44:28 PM
I agree and I think that your list is nearing perfection. One major problem is the age discrepancy brought up in martial law but hinted at in other parts of the series. Chet (and by extension, Frank) is 16. Joe is (presumably) 15. So, Tower treasue couldn't happen before the UBs, because in it, Frank is 18 and Joe is 17.

In the original version of The Tower Treasure, Frank is actually 16, and Joe is 15. A few books later it says Chet it is about 16. It's not until the later books and the revised ones that Frank and Joe are 18 and 17, respectively.

Frank rules

Wow. So, I guess that means that the UBs really could fit into things like you said that they could, or they could come right before the UBs. But if that was what S&S had in mind, it is really rude of them to leave everyone wondering without making an official statement as to the position of the UBs in the Hardy Boys mysteries universe.

SDLagent

I don't think it's what they had in mind, considering it doesn't really fit that well. To me, it seems like S&S is totally ignoring all non-UB stories. At first it seemed like they were trying to connect the UB to the Digests, but not anymore...

Frank rules

Quote from: Bunny on August 01, 2009, 05:16:13 PM
I don't think it's what they had in mind, considering it doesn't really fit that well. To me, it seems like S&S is totally ignoring all non-UB stories. At first it seemed like they were trying to connect the UB to the Digests, but not anymore...
Yeah, I guess. I just don't know where they expect the UBs to fit in anymore.