#14 Hazed

Started by Lola, February 12, 2007, 08:54:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SDLagent

I'd say there have been some decent Hardy Boys books since Rockey Road, but, yeah, not very many. It's sad that I'm enjoying the 80-something page graphic novels more then the actual novels, which I haven't read since Double Down (which I still haven't finished).

Hardy Man

SDLagent

Wanted, Death and Diamonds, Pushed, Comic Con Artist. I don't actually remember much about the plot lines, just that I enjoyed them at the time...so they weren't really memorable (except for Wanted) and I'd take almost any Casefile over most of these, but they were fun reads and fairly decent novels, IMO.

Hardy Man

I guess. And I sort of have to retract my statement about #5 being the last decent one. There were a few decent ones after that. But, mind you that does not mean that I'm going to go near one of those crud heaps anytime soon.

tomswift2002

Quote from: SDLagent on November 26, 2009, 07:49:54 PM
Wanted, Death and Diamonds, Pushed, Comic Con Artist. I don't actually remember much about the plot lines, just that I enjoyed them at the time...so they weren't really memorable (except for Wanted) and I'd take almost any Casefile over most of these, but they were fun reads and fairly decent novels, IMO.

Wanted is probably the best book going in this series that really needs to be put into the out-of-print listings.  Comic Con Artist was better than most (and considering how many chapters and pages it had, I sort of wonder if it was intended to be the 3rd Super Mystery before S&S announced Haunted) UB's, while Death And Diamonds...aside from Collig and Riley being in the story and the theft of diamonds from a model or two, the plot has really just faded out of existence.  Pushed is still right where I left it two years ago: bookmark is still at the beginning of Chapter 6.  I'm surprised that I managed to get that poll about Joe stealing something and which chapter it occurred in, since I haven't read that far into the book, and even with that guess I'm not going to read any farther.  Pushed was a book that was pushed to market that wasn't even ready to pushed to market or to be pushed anywhere, but the recycling bin.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

SDLagent

Quote from: Santa Claus on November 26, 2009, 09:43:30 PM
Pushed is still right where I left it two years ago: bookmark is still at the beginning of Chapter 6.  I'm surprised that I managed to get that poll about Joe stealing something and which chapter it occurred in, since I haven't read that far into the book, and even with that guess I'm not going to read any farther.  Pushed was a book that was pushed to market that wasn't even ready to pushed to market or to be pushed anywhere, but the recycling bin.

Well, I don't remember enough about to really be able to defend it, but I remember I did enjoy when I read it two years ago (wow, is it really two years?).

tomswift2002

Quote from: SDLagent on November 27, 2009, 01:10:01 AM
Well, I don't remember enough about to really be able to defend it, but I remember I did enjoy when I read it two years ago (wow, is it really two years?).

September 2007 was when Pushed was released.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 

Bigfootman

Rocky Road was anything but decent, it had the re-reformating mission disks, repeating clifhangers, and death by ice cream.

http://bigfootmanshardyboysandnancydrew.blogspot.ca

Most Recent Post:
"Tom Swift Inventors' Academy" Cancelled?

Hardy Man

I understand where you're coming from, but what I'm saying is that, thought the book might not have been the best read or the most entertaining, it certainly marked the end of an era. The era of the digests and digest-like books. Up until that book, when I read a UB, it reminded me a little of the digests, in an obscure and semi-weird way. After #5, I began to see myself increasingly drifting away from UBs and UB material. Sure, there were other Ubs that were decent, as SDLagent pointed out, but they were never released back to back to back to back, like the first five UBs were. Instead, I might have to slog my way though three or four trash heaps in disguise before I hit one that was worth reading. There. I hope that cleared things up a little...

SDLagent

Quote from: Hardy Man on February 04, 2010, 09:34:49 PM
I understand where you're coming from, but what I'm saying is that, thought the book might not have been the best read or the most entertaining, it certainly marked the end of an era. The era of the digests and digest-like books. Up until that book, when I read a UB, it reminded me a little of the digests, in an obscure and semi-weird way. After #5, I began to see myself increasingly drifting away from UBs and UB material. Sure, there were other Ubs that were decent, as SDLagent pointed out, but they were never released back to back to back to back, like the first five UBs were. Instead, I might have to slog my way though three or four trash heaps in disguise before I hit one that was worth reading. There. I hope that cleared things up a little...

Quoted for truth.

tomswift2002

Quote from: Hardy Man on February 04, 2010, 09:34:49 PM

I think that in the beginning of the UB's S&S was trying to make them a continuation of the Hardy Boys Originals/Digests, but then for quite a while, starting with #5, the continuity of the series seemed to get restarted in each book.

Mrs. Nick Jonas

The Undercover Brothers series are my favorite personally (& yes, I HAVE read a Casefile which was awesome & I hope to be able to read more). But in the U.B. series I think that you get inside their heads more. It feels like there's more brotherly interaction. I think that its more interesting. I don't mean any offence to anyone who doesn't like it, I'm just saying that I think that this series is very awesome.

Yet above all of the Hardy Boys books/series made over time I think that a few fan-fiction stories that I've read about them beat them all.
"I don't pray because it changes God, I pray because it changes me". ~ C.S. Lewis

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Another UB Fan.  ;D ;) Welcome! :) I love the UB's! ;D

MacGyver

Welcome, Mrs. Nick Jonas - wow, interesting user name. Does Nick know about this? ;D
   Always cool to have another fan of The Hardy Boys joining the boards here, no matter what series is your favorite. Though I would suggest reading some of the Originals and Digests along with the Casefiles for comparison with the Undercover Brothers books. But they're all good in their own ways.  :)
     By the way- I love that C.S. Lewis quote in your signature. As a Christian myself, C.S. Lewis is one of my favorite writers and a Christian hero to me.  8)

"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Mrs. Nick Jonas

Thanks guys for the welcome! And LOL- I sure wish that Nick knew! =D

I have read a few of the originals and enjoyed them a lot! Though it seems to me that in the originals they focus too much on the case and skip over the family or emotional scenes. I don't think that I've read any of the digests yet. I'll have to see if they have any at my library.

I really like your signature as well! I think that C.S. Lewis really is an inspiration.
"I don't pray because it changes God, I pray because it changes me". ~ C.S. Lewis