Hardy Boys book drought incoming?

Started by Bigfootman, June 16, 2023, 04:09:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigfootman

So the Adventures are very likely cancelled, and we have no news on what is coming next for the Hardy Boys. From what I could tell (the dates of fourm posts), we got news about the Adventures series not that long after the UBs ended. However, it doesn't look like the Adventures sold all that well, getting even less books then the UBs did. I'm worried that S and S might decide to stop writing Hardy Boys for now.

http://bigfootmanshardyboysandnancydrew.blogspot.ca

Most Recent Post:
"Tom Swift Inventors' Academy" Cancelled?

tomswift2002

My local bookstore (new) has not carried any Hardy Boys or Nancy Drew in about 5 years, and about a month-and-a-half-ago I was at a Chapters about two hours from me and they didn't have any on the shelves either, so I think the sales have been bad.  I also noticed on S&S's American site that every single Hardcover edition of the Adventures was still available.  I never saw a Hardcover in a physical store, and when the series first started, it was announced that the Hardcovers would only be produced at 50% or less per book.  The first three books, as I recall had for a first print run 10,000 paperbacks and 5,000 hardcovers.  Then book four had for a first print run 10,000 paperbacks and 2,500 hardcovers.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

Time will tell. We don't know for sure that the Adventures series is canceled yet. Whatever happens, I'm not really worried about it honestly.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

SkyWarp

Technically as of today, (if the adventures and clue books are done) is this the first time there has not been an ongoing numbered Hardy Boys series since the beginning of the Hardy Boys?  If we count the clue books and clue brothers, I don't think we have ever not had at least one series running (if we account for long breaks in-between numbers). 

Hmmm, maybe there was a break for two months between the Digests and the Undercover Brothers.

Now they just need to resurrect the Casefiles (assuming they could do them well). 

Honestly, I think reading in general is dead.  At least in the vain of making money as a business for middle aged children or teens.  Especially if one could legally in the United States create brand new stories and sell them (with some significant restrictions on what they can use for a few years at least).

NZone

I don't know, my wife is a fourth grade teacher and the kids still like to read quite a bit. Hardy Boys are in that target range for sure. Books like Dogman are really popular. I think it's incompetent S&S publishing to blame since the early 2000s.
Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men.

SkyWarp

Are those kids willing to (or parents willing to) buy the books though?  I don't know, just asking.  If S&S can't make money, it doesn't matter.

NZone

I believe so, they are always at Costco.
Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men.

tomswift2002

We should also remember that over the past 2 years, S&S has been undergoing things that could've affected the publishing schedules of numerous book lines.  The major thing was its sale to Random House, which was later blocked and canceled.  However while that "sale" was proceeding, Random House may've started things that they would've wanted changed, and they might've asked for a halt on some of S&S's long-running series while the transition was happening.  However, once that was cancelled, whatever had been halted would've had to have been unhalted.  I know that with the Star Trek line, the contract came up for renewal during that time, so that line was paused, and it's taking a little while to get new book's written under the new contract.  There were still books under the old contract that still had to be published, but there's going to be a gap while new contracts with authors are drawn up and the books are written.  S&S outright owns the Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew and the post-1927 Tom Swift books, but they might need to wait to get them back up again.  Or they may have decided that it was time to review all the numbers regarding the series and see what they should do.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 

MysteryFan89

Can they bring back the Casefiles? I'd love that.

tomswift2002

I just got The Smugglers Legacy and Undercover Bookworms today, both in paperback.  Now then Bookworms was just released in late-May (June publication date) and it's still a 1st printing.  However, Smugglers was released in January (February publication date) and it's still a first printing.  I recall that when both the Undercover Brothers and Adventures launched, in some cases the books were in 2nd or third printings once they hit the 6th or 7th month of release.  And with the UB's (and even going back to the last Mystery Stories and Casefiles) the last books only ever had 1 print run since the sales were not there. 

tomswift2002

So I go the hardcover of "Smugglers Legacy" yesterday and "Bookworms" today.  Both are 1st printings.  So I think both series are pretty much dead sellers.