Dead On Target

Started by tomswift2002, October 31, 2014, 10:45:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomswift2002

VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

SkyWarp

MacGyver

There were some interesting observations, certainly. I'd be interested to see the sources for criticisms of The Hardy Boys books. I can't imagine no one has made a criticism of the level of violence in The Hardy Boys Casefiles because certainly there is a strong level of violence in those books. However, I don't think the violence is just for gratuitousness' sake. I'm always concerned with how it is portrayed- and I think it's important to note that Frank and Joe employ violence only as a necessary measure to prevent further, greater violence from ocurring. They are oftentimes fighting against terrorists who seek to kill people and the Hardys must fight against such evil and use harsh methods sometimes to prevent such things happening. It is important to note though that Frank and Joe have standards and lines that they will not cross. A great example is in The Lazarus Plot, when Frank is prepared to beat The Gray Man's face to a pulp, in an effort to get answers. He backs off and admits that he can't do that- and this act turns out to be the act that convinces The Gray Man of Frank's identity.
       Even in the very first book, Dead on Target, Joe offers mercy to Al-Rousasa and tries to save his life. The Hardys always seek to save life and never to hurt or destroy it. Of course, if someone is decrying the level of violence in these Hardy Boys books versus the original series, it's important to keep in mind that these books are specifically aimed at teenagers, also known as young adults. That puts it in a quite different category from the original series of books.
         I wonder how long it's been since the blog's author has read one of the original series Hardy Boys books though. I don't think I would quite put those plots on a Scooby-Doo level. The Hardy Boys face down terrorist groups in those books as well (Though they probably wouldn't have been called terrorists at the time. I'm mainly thinking of the U.G.L.I. group in The Secret Agent on Flight 101 here.) There were violence and fighting and gunplay in those books too. Sure- it was not nearly on the level of the Casefiles, of course- but it was there. (Though as a huge fan of Scooby-Doo, I do appreciate the comparison.) :)

"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"