Fenton

Started by The#1Hardy-BoysFan, July 26, 2007, 04:10:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SDLagent

I have a question about Fenton (I?m a Fenton fan and my favorite books are the ones with his old friends, co-workers, or enemies :)), in Casefile #6 there is an old army friend of Fenton?s named Hunt Hugh, so how old was Fenton when he joined the army, did he fight in any wars and how many years did he spend in the army? ???

Also does it ever say in any of the books when he met Sam Radley?     

SDLagent

Does any body know? ??? ??? ???

SkyWarp

I do not know.  But then I haven't read many of the original series. 

tomswift2002

In the original's, and even the digests, there is no mention of Fenton ever having a military career before joining the NYPD.   In the Casefiles, that part about Fenton meeting Hugh in the army could mean that Fenton needed to take some classes at an army college and met Hugh there.  But, also, correct me if I'm wrong, in the States,  between the 1930's and 1970's, wasn't it law that any capable male, once they reached the age of 18, had to enlist in the army for at least one year during the ages of 18-25?  Maybe that is also what the author was trying to say.  That Fenton was enlisted for one year (like Elvis Presley was in the late 50's), but then left afterwards to pursue law enforcement?
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

tomswift2002

Here is something else about Fenton, although, it is from the 1977 TV series, so take it as you may.

In the Season 2 episode Mystery Of The African Safari, the Minister of the Interior for Kenya mentions that Fenton and him spent some time at the UN together, and then the Minister almost has a heartattack when he sees Frank and Joe and mentions "That many years have passed?", obviously indicating that Frank and Joe were not yet born when Fenton and the Minister were at the UN.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 

White Eagle

Quote from: SDLagent on July 26, 2007, 04:10:21 PMthere is an old army friend of Fenton?s named Hunt Hugh

You mean Hugh Hunt
A man with wings can do anything, but a man with a rocket can do Everything!

Centrion

I don't think they say when he meet Sam, just that he is his top operative. 
Don't worry, I have a plan.
-Frank
Right. Every time you say that, I usually do something stupid, like jump in a septic tank.
-Joe

tomswift2002

Hugh Hunt isn't an operative of Fenton hardy's.  He's a friend who is an operative for Espionage Resources, and one who isn't crooked.

hardy boys fan

i dont think fenton's age is mentioned in any of the hardy boys series
Hey!............. Ohhhhh

tomswift2002

In the Original Series Fenton is described as being in his 50's with a little gray in his hair.

SDLagent

Actually, in The Hardy Boys #1 ''The Tower Treasure'' Fenton is said to be 40. In the revised books he's always in his early to mid-40s.

tomswift2002

I was just reading Casefile #5, 'Edge Of Destruction'.  It was a treasure trove for Fenton's past.  Apparently he joined the NYPD 24-25 years before the book, and was married to Laura at the time.  Then, about 15-16 years before the story (Frank was mentioned as being a 2-year-old) Fenton left the NYPD to setup his practice in Bayport.  It was also mentioned that Fenton and Sam Peterson were first-year cops when they arrested crime boss ( who was described as being in his 30's at the time) Nick Trask.  Trask was then sent to prison for 23 years and was released a year before EOD.

MacGyver

Nice background information on Fenton. Thanks- always interesting to see the history of the characters.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"