Hardy Boys Digests --- possible #191

Started by tomswift2002, July 04, 2008, 09:25:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

If the trilogies don't work, what should S&S do?

Keep only the graphic novels running?
1 (6.3%)
Keep the graphics in the ATAC universe and restart the Digests at #191.
5 (31.3%)
Keep the graphics and restart the Casefiles at #128?
7 (43.8%)
End all of the series and don't ublish a new book for five years due to series fatigue?
1 (6.3%)
I'm not sure. (Please suggest your ideas.)
2 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Olivia

Haha, jumped the shark. That makes me think of Fonzie in Happy Days literally jumping a shark. That's where the saying came from, you know :D

tomswift2002

Well, considering that the Hardy's nearly jumped over Niagra Falls in #5...
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

NZone

Maybe the new writers are a lot cheaper?  ??? ???
Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men.

Bigfootman

http://bigfootmanshardyboysandnancydrew.blogspot.ca

Most Recent Post:
"Tom Swift Inventors' Academy" Cancelled?

tomswift2002

Quote from: Bigfootman on July 15, 2008, 10:32:20 AM
I really want new casefiles!

Agreed, but Casefiles in the vein of the first 66 books.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 

JoeHardyRocks

Keep the Graphics in ATAC and restart the Digests. :)
"Hey! Don't do that here. You'll mess up my bedspread."
Rolling his eyes, Joe sat on the window sill and started sawing.
"Thank you, Joe."
"You're welcome, Martha Stewart."

Olivia

I just hope it's not the death of the HBs altogether in novel format.

JoeHardyRocks

Well, I do, but the Digests aren't bad, but I just chose out of those options. I wouldn't want UBs to end, but if the Trilogys don't work, they probably wouldn't write any more Ubs. :'(
"Hey! Don't do that here. You'll mess up my bedspread."
Rolling his eyes, Joe sat on the window sill and started sawing.
"Thank you, Joe."
"You're welcome, Martha Stewart."

tomswift2002

Looks like most people would like to see the main Undercover Brother series to end, but keep the Graphic's running and restart the Casefiles at #128.

SDL, have you put anymore thought into that petition to stop the UB's and restart one of the other series or even get your idea started?

SDLagent

Yeah, I've put some thought into it. I'm thinking my idea is good but might be to much to ask for, so instead I'm thinking of petitioning a more basic request. Although I would still link to my proposal, this would be the main thing:

1. A series with a strong continuity.
2. A series that embraces the history of The Hardy Boys. Being very faithful to the past series, and ultimately ties them together.

So basically a series, which stars the Frank and Joe we love from the Casefiles, Originals, and Digests. A series that is consistent. A series that remembers it's roots.

For my ideal Hardy Boys series see my proposal below:

*My proposal here*

This would be ideal - most of all we want a series with a strong, consistent continuity and a series faithful to it's past.

Please comment. Does it sound good to you? Add your ideas.

SDLagent

Also, we want a series that is appealing to fans both young and old.

tomswift2002

Quote from: SDLagent on September 19, 2008, 04:55:53 PM
Also, we want a series that is appealing to fans both young and old.

That is good.  I don't think I could think of any thing better.

SDLagent

I've done up a draft of what the petition might look like.

The fans of The Hardy Boys have become very displeased with current series lately, that is The Hardy Boys Undercover Brothers, and it's spin-offs, Undercover Brother Super Mystery, and Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys Super Mystery. Why? Well, for one thing, the series has no continuity, or some would say to many continuities.

For example

And for another thing the series, not only does it not mention the events of past Hardy Boys series, including the classic Hardy Boys Original series (published by Grosset & Dunlap), and fan favorite The Hardy Boys Casefiles, it totally ignores them! Where does American Teens Against Crime fit in with the timeline? Is it before or after the Casefiles? Why is the has the boys aunt changed her name from Gertrude to Trudy? It was defiantly Gertrude before! Even worse the title characters, Frank and Joe, the Hardy Boys have been changed! We'll break it down:

Frank always calm and cool in every situation, managed to date Callie Shaw for years, and even have romances with other girls, most notably Nancy Drew, in the Undercover Brothers (UB from here on in), is totally scared of girls! He starters and blushes like a insecure geek, when ever he talks to a female between the ages of 13 and 30! Does this sound like the same character to you?

Now, Joe. If on of the Hardy boys was a chick magnet it was Joe. However, Simon & Schuster has decided to totally disregard this in the UB, and can't buy a date in this series!

Also, the boys always known to be mature for there age, are immature and petty. Fighting (the Hardys rarely fight if ever fight..not in UB), and arguing over forgettable things, like who gets the top bank. I know there BOYS but come on!

Anyway the list goes on, and on, so let's get to what we as fans, want.

2. A series that embraces the history of The Hardy Boys. Being very faithful to the past series, and ultimately ties them together.
3. A series that is appealing to fans, both young and old.

So basically a series, which stars the Frank and Joe we love from the Casefiles, Originals, and Digests. A series that is consistent. A series that remembers it's roots.

*My proposal here*

This would be ideal - most of all we want a series with a strong, consistent continuity and a series faithful to it's past.

tomswift2002

Here's another version of your draft with spell check a few reworded sentences and some examples of no continuity (feel free to add on this if you wish, but also list the book that you found it in).

The fans of The Hardy Boys have become very displeased with the current series lately, which is The Hardy Boys Undercover Brothers, and its spin-offs, Undercover Brother Super Mystery, and Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys Super Mystery. Why? Well, for one thing, the series has no continuity, or as some would say too many continuities.

For example

?   The name of the Hardy?s contact at ATAC changes from Q (Undercover Brothers #12 Trouble In Paradise) to Q.T. (Undercover Brothers #7 Operation: Survival) to an unnamed voice (Undercover Brothers #11 Hurricane Joe), to the non-descriptive voice of an ATAC contact (Undercover Brothers Haunted) and back.
?   Do the Hardy Boys get to keep their mission discs after they have been reformatted into regular music CD?s or DVD?s (Undercover Brothers #1 Extreme Danger) or do they have to send the discs back to ATAC for recycling? (Undercover Brothers #5 Rocky Road)

And for another thing the series, not only does it not mention the events of past Hardy Boys series, including the classic Hardy Boys Original series (published by Grosset & Dunlap), and fan favorite The Hardy Boys Casefiles, it totally ignores them! Where does American Teens Against Crime fit in with the timeline? Is it before or after the Casefiles? Why is it that the authors had the boys aunt changed her name from Gertrude to Trudy? It was definitely Gertrude before! Even worse the title characters, Frank and Joe, the Hardy Boys have been changed! We'll break it down:

Frank always calm and cool in every situation, managed to date Callie Shaw for years, and even have romances with other girls, most notably Nancy Drew; in the Undercover Brothers (UB from here on in), he is totally scared of girls! He stutters and blushes like an insecure geek whenever he talks to a female between the ages of 13 and 30! Does this sound like the same character to you?

Now, Joe. If one of the Hardy boys were a chick magnet it was Joe. However, Simon & Schuster has decided to totally disregard this in the UB, and he can't buy a date in this series!

Also, the boys were always known to be mature for there age; in the Undercover Brothers they are immature and petty. In the past series the Hardys always managed to get into a good old knock them down fight with the criminals, however, in the Undercover Brothers you never get to see the Hardys in a fight with a criminal, since the criminal usually runs right into the arms of the law at the end of the case, a way too easy wrap-up for a Hardy Boys story.

Anyway the list goes on, and on, so let's get to what we as fans, want.

3. A series that is appealing to fans, both young and old.

So basically a series, which stars the Frank and Joe we love from the Casefiles, Originals, and Digests. A series that is consistent. A series that remembers its roots.

*My proposal here*

SDLagent

Add, his name changes from Q.T. to Q, and he never smiles and then he does to the Q example. Plus the football issue could be mentioned.