One of the Top Hardy Boys series to date

Started by tomswift2002, June 23, 2007, 04:04:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomswift2002

I must say, the Hardy Boys/Tom Swift Ultra Thrillers were two of the top Hardy Boys books in the 1990's.  The stories were great, even though Frank and Joe were treated basically as "Guest Stars" in the stories.  My favorite out of the two books would have to be Time Bomb.  Having Frank and Joe go back to 1932 was a great idea.  The only part of the book I found controversial was Tom's leap back to "pre-history".  I've never believed that the earth was anymore than 7 thousand years old, and I still don't.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

Rottweiler7692

I read those a long time ago and I don't think I was able to finish them.  I think maybe it was because the HBs weren't main characters and there was more Tom Swift and I don't really know Tom Swift.

tomswift2002

You have to remember that with the Ultra Thrillers, S&S was basically trying to get more sales for the 90's Tom Swift series, but at the same time they were trying to do the same type of story that they had been doing with the Hardy's and Nancy Drew, but do it with Tom Swift and have stuff that was more in line with the Tom Swift series.  In both series (UT and SM 88) I found that the Hardy's were in there to support the lead character, even though in Ultra Thrillers, the Hardy's were given top billing.   I guess that at the time, the Casefiles, amongst the three series, must've been the top selling series, with the Files coming in second. 
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 

Centrion

It was pretty good, they splashed quite a bit of science into there, to make it like a Tom Swift book. I loved the part in Time Bomb when frank and Joe attack Tom.
Don't worry, I have a plan.
-Frank
Right. Every time you say that, I usually do something stupid, like jump in a septic tank.
-Joe

tomswift2002

I also liked how the author had the Hardy Boys story running for half the book before the Hardy's joined up with Tom Swift.  Of course, once the three guys joined up, some of the rush of the first part of the book left, since the guys were together, and at Swift Enterprises, there seemed to be a forcefield that no bad guys could encroach upon and attack just Frank or just Joe directly, or both Hardy's directly. 

White Eagle

I wouldn't say I could do better, but the writers definitely could have
A man with wings can do anything, but a man with a rocket can do Everything!

tomswift2002

Quote from: Sabre on September 20, 2007, 11:33:56 PM
I wouldn't say I could do better, but the writers definitely could have

The Hardy Boys And Tom Swift Ultra Thriller's were definetly way, way better written than the current Hardy Boys Undercover Brothers series, and it doesn't look like we'll be getting any Hardy Boys Undercover Brothers and Tom Swift Young Inventor Ultra Thriller books this time around.  I haven't heard of a 7th Tom Swift Young Inventor book being announced, and considering that the Undercover Brothers series isn't selling as well as the Hardy Boys Casefiles were during that series first 2 years (1987-1989), the two Ultra Thriller's from 1992 & 1993 might be the only Hardy Boys/Tom Swift crossover books to be published.  But the writing in them was second to none, whereas the writing in the Undercover Brothers series is like a hundred and fiftieth to none.

White Eagle

Well, i'm not really into Tom Swift or ND unless they have the Hardys in them, so I wouldn't know.

"You!"

I read the both of the Ultra Thrillers, and from what I remember I liked them.  I had a hard time finding one, but after a while I was able to pick it up.  I thought they were both well- written, way better that the Undercover Brothers mysteries are today.  I think I'll re-read them again.  I liked Tom, he was a charater that I hadn't read about before, and he was likeable.
CAB :)

White Eagle

tomswift2002

Unfortunately, the books only went through one print run each, so the majority of the printings are in private collections, while there are also a few still at local libraries.  Try getting both on inter-library loan from your library.

Centrion

Yeah, I can't find Alien Factor anywhere. It's probally in some attic collecting dust, or in a private collection.
-Frank
Right. Every time you say that, I usually do something stupid, like jump in a septic tank.
-Joe

White Eagle

Well, that's one attic I'd sure like to see. :D

tomswift2002

Quote from: Light123 on November 03, 2007, 09:29:41 PM
Yeah, I can't find Alien Factor anywhere. It's probally in some attic collecting dust, or in a private collection.

Have you tried inter-library loan?  Sure you don't own the book, but until you can find a copy for yourself, you can still read the book from the library.

Centrion

I found it in one library and I read it a few years back, but I've moved and I haven't found it again. Next time I go to the Library I'll propabally check.
-Frank
-Joe