Graphic Novel #15: Live Free, Die Hardy!

Started by SDLagent, April 11, 2008, 02:31:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How did you like "Live Free, Die Hardy''?

5 stars - great
4 (66.7%)
4 stars - good
2 (33.3%)
3 stars - average
0 (0%)
2 stars - below average
0 (0%)
1 star - horrible
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

003Robin457

I just got Live Free, Die Hardy. 8) It was very good. 9.5 out of 10 stars. ;D
Here are afew things about the book that I liked / didn't like: (I'll try to not spoil any thing but you never know, read at your own risk! :P)

-Okay first thing this book looks like it will set up for at least 1 more Noir Sisters book! 8)
-Secondly Papa Noir is refrenced only and does not appear. :-\
-Next I was kinda dissaponted that there was no big Noir Vs. Hardy fight scene, but don't get me wrong this book has lots of action. The Hardys take down like 9 other WARD agents, fight like 5 guys in an alley, and of corse the viedo game beggining.
-Also there is this part that has boxes about what the Hardys are thinking and it is inturesting expecaly since alot of them are about there views on each other.
-Also this is a very good Fenton and the boys story. ;D

hardy boys fan

i dont read graphic novels . what are they like
Hey!............. Ohhhhh

003Robin457

I love the UBs dont get me wrong, but I think the Graphics are better. It kinda reminds me of what a UB TV show would be like. I dont know if that makes sense to you or if thats just me.
One of the best things about them is you get to see the Hardys and the other characters and they did a good job desinging them.
Now GNs cost more money to make and are shorter but they are very intertaining, expecialy the Nior sisters ark (GNs #7, #10 & #15) where the Noir sisters working for WARD, an teenage antigovernment agency, are trying to takedown ATAC.

SDLagent

I read ''Live Free, Die Hardy'' today.

WARNING: SPOILERS FOLLOW!

Plot: The high-ups at ATAC plan a surprise birthday party for Fenton at ATAC HQ, but the Noir sisters manage to get past the high security, and crash the party. They quickly have all the guests captured...or so they thing. It seems they are unaware that Frank and Joe were invited.

Meanwhile in another part of the complex Frank and Joe are changing into suits for the party, when they hear gun fire. On their way to the to banquet hall, they have to hide from two WARD agents who were ordered to search the building. Joe takes them out, and the boys take their guns.

In the hall, Fenton lets the Noirs overhear him mention that if boys can secure the lab, they have the upper hand. Upon hearing this Shira sends her troops to the lab, where Frank and Joe have found a few gadgets to use against their enemies. They soon these gadgets to good use, and now only have the Noir sisters to deal with.

As this is going down, Fenton is tyring to talk Nicolina into handing over her gun. Saying that her father is a cruel man, but she can raise above her father. His sermon is cut short by Shira slamming her gun into the back of his head.

By this time the Hardys have sneaked in unnoticed, by hiding under the cart with Fenton's cake on it, much like they did back in #10 ''A Hardy's Day Night''. However, the sisters realize right away that the Hardys are hidden in the cart, and order them out...what they don't realize is that the candles on Fenton's cake are ATAC know-out gas candles. Both sisters are out cold in seconds.

Review: Although I was a little let down that there was no Hardy vs. Noir showdown, and that Poppa Noir only appeared in a flashback, the return of the Noir sisters does not disappoint!

Like I and Robin said, there was no big Hardy/Noir fight, but the Hardys fight with the ATAC personal almost made up for this. I'd say it was one of (if not the) best fight ever in the UB continuity.

I also really liked the addition of the narrative captions. Just really adds to the story, and reduces the Hardys sometimes seemingly forced dialogue.

A few things I thought were odd: (A) The word "WARD" is never mentioned, and hasn't been now, since #7 ''The Opposite Numbers'', despite the Noirs appearing in two books since then. (B) ATAC holding a birthday party at their base. Why not rent a fancy hotel? (C) Nicolina going good? I hope not! You'll have to read it for yourself to see what I mean.

The art was very good too. Aside from two overly cartoony frames, the art in this one is probably my favorite in the series. It looks more like American style comic art then ever before. Another thing about the art, is, it seems Laura and Trudy are back to looking like 20 year olds, like they did in the early graphics (well, maybe not quite that young but...).

Over all very good. Would be my favorite in the whole Graphic Novel series if there was more of a climax. Still, very, very high up on my list, despite this.

Oh, yeah, forget to mention this one felt like a Casefile, since we see Frank and Joe using high-power fire arms.

Rating: 5/5

SDLagent

So, other then Robin, no one else has read this one I'm guessing? If you haven't yet, your missing out.

I forget to mention in my last post, that the Hardys take out a total of 16 guys in this one. Probably a recored for the GN series. Not to mention the online game at the beginning. Some serious butt-kicking by the Hardy brothers of Bayport!

tomswift2002

I just checked with chapters.ca and they still haven't shipped out the book.  The site is showing that it is instock, so I'm not sure why the book hasn't been shipped.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

Olivia

I'm always a couple months behind on the latest release, so.

Centrion

Just read it, and it was really good. I wonder if Nicolina will turn good or not. First appearance of ATAC's Head Quarters.
Don't worry, I have a plan.
-Frank
Right. Every time you say that, I usually do something stupid, like jump in a septic tank.
-Joe

tomswift2002

I just finished Live Free, Die Hardy! on Thursday.  It was pretty good, although I noticed some spelling and grammatical errors.  I was also surprised to see Frank and Joe arming themselves with guns, something that you only saw in the Casefiles and Revenge Of The Desert Phantom/The Skyfire Puzzle before.

Rating: A- or 8 out of 10.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

JoeHardyRocks

Quote from: SDLagent on November 28, 2008, 03:59:05 PM
So, other then Robin, no one else has read this one I'm guessing? If you haven't yet, your missing out.

I know I'm missing out! :'( My Library doesn't have it yet. :'( :'( :'(
"Hey! Don't do that here. You'll mess up my bedspread."
Rolling his eyes, Joe sat on the window sill and started sawing.
"Thank you, Joe."
"You're welcome, Martha Stewart."

Olivia

As I mentioned, I forgot to read this one.

Anyways, I really liked it. It incorporated so much stuff, but the pace was smooth:

-An interesting ATAC assignment in the beginning
-Their school lives
-ATAC headquarters
-NOIR sisters
-Relationship with their father
-Good humour
-Clever plans/stunts
-Nice ending

However, I think they mixed up who Nicolina and Shira was. At first, they introduced Nicolina as the girl with the short, red hair and Shira with the long, plum hair. But the rest of the GN had it reversed.

Bigfootman

Have not read it yet, but the GNs are always better then the UBs, so I will probily like it.

http://bigfootmanshardyboysandnancydrew.blogspot.ca

Most Recent Post:
"Tom Swift Inventors' Academy" Cancelled?

003Robin457

Definantly falls under the essential GNs catagory.

SDLagent

You got to read it, Dan. I'm thinking of re-reading...

003Robin457