The Mystery of the Chinese Junk-1967 pilot

Started by MacGyver, July 08, 2011, 07:41:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeschr

Thanks for the link, MacGyver.  You're very generous.  I've downloaded and watched the pilot, and was very impressed.  I think it was more similar to the books than any of the other film versions were.

MacGyver

Cool! Glad you got a chance to see it already and and glad you like it and glad I could help. I agree- it is definitely one of the best of The Hardy Boys adaptations out there. :) 8)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Olivia

Quote from: SDLagent on August 23, 2011, 02:50:35 AM
Finally watched it.

First off, I really wish this had been picked-up and turned into a series. I really liked this show's vibe. The overall feel of the show was just good and, in my opinion, very authentic Hardy Boys. At first I went, "Oh, actors that actually look like Frank and Joe for once!" Then I realized that the tall dark one was Joe and the shorter blond one was Frank. Seems like a pointless switch to me and a bit disappointing but I got over it and it barely diminished from the Hardy Boyness of the story. As I mentioned it just felt very Hardy Boys to me, and, in fact, I think it captured the spirit of the books better than any of adaptation I've seen. From analysing evidence in the crime lab to the chum to the references to Hardy Boys continuity I was again and again reminded of the original books which I haven't read in ages. Actually it made me want to read them again.

I really liked the style of the show, too. The hot rods, the beach parties, the Hardy's fashion sense. Very chill. Made me wish I could chill with the Hardys and their chums.

The story itself wasn't that great but it was still fun and exciting. Good entertainment. Likewise, the acting was the best but it wasn't horrible, either. The fight scenes were well done. Even though I thought the story could have been better, as you may have been able to guess by now, I really liked it! In fact I kind of loved it! Like I keep saying I just really liked the feel of the show. The vibe. The style. I can't quite put my finger on it.

Now I finally watched it. And I agree with you 100%.

A couple of times, the '60's music was a bit distracting. Same with Frank and Joe being switched physically. But everything else felt very authentic and very "Hardy Boys".

Really a shame they didn't continue.

MacGyver

One thing I was thinking about this pilot- The Mystery of the Chinese Junk, #39 in The Hardy Boys Mystery Stories, was the first book published in the series that did not get revised. The first 38 books got revisions, but by the time of this book, the revisions were finished and the series moved forward from that time period being up to date (at the time of course). Perhaps it was for this reason that the producers decided to do a pilot based on this book, rather than say The Tower Treasure or something. (Perhaps also because The Mickey Mouse Club had already done a popular and successful adaptation of the first book that was pretty good- even with some things altered for the show.)
   The Mystery of the Chinese Junk book was published in 1960. The Hardy Boys: The Mystery of the Chinese Junk pilot was aired in 1967. I think this is a key factor that helped- the pilot captures the look and feel of the book so well since they were both written and set in the same decade. So rather than having to try to recreate the late '20s or '30s- the producers were able to authentically create the feel of the '60s.
       Overall, I think we've said many of the things that made this pilot good. They kept true to the book itself as well as to the spirit of The Hardy Boys in general and maintained an authentic feel for the time period. The script was good, the music was good, the acting was good, the action was good and the casting was good. Yes, there is a quibble with Frank and Joe having their hair colors switched for no apparent reason, but other than that- the actors really seemed to look the parts. And it was great to see Chet Morton, Iola Morton, Callie Shaw, Tony Prito and Biff Hooper all make appearances! To date, this is the only media appearance for Tony and Biff that I know of. And Aunt Gertrude and Fenton Hardy were well cast too. But what I don't get is- and we've had this really in every Hardy Boys TV appearance to date (except for possibly the cartoon series- I haven't seen enough of that to be able to say for sure) - but what is the deal with Laura Hardy not showing up? I don't know if it's ever explicitly stated on any of the shows (this pilot, the MMC serials, the '70s and '90s series), but I get the impression that Laura is supposed to have died when the boys were young or something. Not that The Hardys' mom has ever typically played a huge role in the books or anything, but still- she's an important supporting character- it would be nice for her to have some kind of media representation...
           Anyway- I really enjoyed this pilot- particularly liked the Chinese junk's appearance- that scene was well done and the junk was pretty neat. It's only a shame that nothing more was done with this. I would really love to see this pilot get cleaned up and given an on-demand DVD release. It's definitely deserving of it. :) 8)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

SDLagent

Good point about the time period. They didn't have to recreate, they were in it. I hadn't really thought of that before.

On Laura not appearing in TV adaptations, I think it's mostly to do with budgeting.  In the books, the Hardys essentially have two mother figures in their life and in TV adaptations similar characters are usually cut or combined.

MacGyver

QuoteOn Laura not appearing in TV adaptations, I think it's mostly to do with budgeting.  In the books, the Hardys essentially have two mother figures in their life and in TV adaptations similar characters are usually cut or combined.
Sigh... yeah, that makes sense- it's still a bit annoying to not have her in there though. Oh well...

SDLagent

I know what you mean. I guess the people making the TV shows just liked Gertrude better. She is a very colourful character.

tomswift2002

Well, with Laura you have to remember that it wasn't until the Undercover Brothers series came out that her character received a lot more detail, whereas in the Original Continuity and the Casefiles Laura was more there to be Fenton's wife and the boy's mother and was more or less the typical 1920's/1950's wife/mother (even going into the 1980's Casefiles while having some aspects updated to that era, but not really being "fleshed-out").
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

Was it only in the graphic novels/Undercover Brothers that Laura is said to be a librarian? It seems like that was mentioned in the Original Continuity as well...

tomswift2002

No, she only became a Librarian in the Undercover Brothers continuity.  In the 1944 version of The Melted Coins she was the Treasurer of a local ladies club, but not a librarian.

But you might be thinking of Laura being a librarian while the boys solved The Tower Treasure since in the books she was not, but in the Video game The Hidden Theft (based on The Tower Treasure but set in the Undercover Brothers universe) she is a librarian.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

okay- thanks for the info. I suppose in the original continuity, Laura is primarily a housewife, (outside of any other activities she might do- like being treasurer of a local ladies club) which makes sense and that's fine.

SDLagent

I think she did volunteer work in the community. At least this is an element often used in fan fiction.

Baskingshark

Hi, is there any possibility you still have a link for this? I have scoured every rare TV torrent site on the web for it for years and just stumbled across this forum - I can't believe I didn't find it before! If I could get a download, I would be eternally grateful!

SDLagent

I think MacGyver still has it. Ask him and he'll should be able to send it to you.

MacGyver