August 2010 Book Club Disussion -- What Happened at Midnight?

Started by hardygirl847, August 18, 2010, 06:52:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hardygirl847

Okay here we go....

Please mention which version you read when reviewing What Happened at Midnight. THANKS!

I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

MacGyver

Um- I will have to comment from my memories of the revised edition of "What Happened at Midnight". (I've been behind in reading- sorry. I am still reading various books- but I'm kept so busy with other things that it seems the reading levels drags along nowadays...)
I can't recall if I have the original version of this book- I'm thinking I might, in which I'll have to pull out both and flip through for comparisons. All that said though- I do recall enjoying this book pretty well. The title itself is cool- it definitely puts you on your guard from the start, making you want to know what exactly did happen at midnight. Because it just wouldn't be the same if it was "What Happened at Dawn" or "What Happened at Noon" or whatever. Midnight is way cooler because of its association of being the witching hour. At night is when people do evil deeds because they want the cover of darkness. (Hence Jesus' statement and verdict in John 3:19 that men loved the darkness because their deeds were evil.)
      So you know that something sinister is going down and it's exciting to be there with Frank and Joe Hardy spying on the whole affair and bringing the bad guys in the middle of the night to justice and their deeds to light.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

SDLagent

When I was younger the name of this book creeped me out.

hardygirl847

MacGyver,

It is definitely an intriguing title. It also could be used as a story prompt. Imagine the stories that could be written just with those 4 words?! I agree that Midnight is more mysterious and interesting than other times for the same reasons you mentioned.

SDLagent,

Creeped you out? Why?
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

tomswift2002

I remember that What Happened At Midnight (1967) was one of the first Hardy Boys books that I actually finished in a day.  I remember my mom and I went to pick strawberries in the morning (this was in June 1995), and I had taken the book in the car with me, since the drive to the field was a half-hour one way.  And I remember that when we were done (and after I had picked up Mystery of the Whale Tattoo at the used bookstore on the way back) and had arrived home, I watched Star Trek: Metamorphosis on CBC, and then I just read the book till I finished it before our bbq dinner that night.

And then 5 years later I found the original text (1960's PC) with the the "sticker" moon on the cover, and I read the book on the bus ride back from Winnipeg. 

Both versions are really good, although Leslie McFarlane's version is quite dated now in the 2000's by the use of "Automats" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automat) in the first chapter.  But I really can't say which version is the better version since, as I recall, they are both quite superb and I really enjoy the covers from 1946 and 1967 since they really add a mystery to the book.  Plus, when you think of "Midnight", you think of night time, not the middle of the day.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

SDLagent

Quote from: hardygirl847 on August 21, 2010, 11:38:34 PM
SDLagent,

Creeped you out? Why?

Because, when you're s kid, midnight is scary!

Quote from: tomswift2002 on August 23, 2010, 05:31:17 PMPlus, when you think of "Midnight", you think of night time, not the middle of the night.

And when you think of "midday", you think of day time, not the middle of the day. Funny how that works, eh?

Seriously though, I agree, both original and revised versions are really good.

MacGyver

QuoteI watched [i}Star Trek: Metamorphosis[/i] on CBC, and then I just read the book till I finished it before our bbq dinner that night.
What is this? I'm familiar with "Star Trek: The Next Generation- Metamorphosis" the novel (which is quite good, by the way- read it a while back)- but I don't know of any TV show or special by that name...
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

tomswift2002

Quote from: MacGyver on August 23, 2010, 10:51:09 PM
What is this? I'm familiar with "Star Trek: The Next Generation- Metamorphosis" the novel (which is quite good, by the way- read it a while back)- but I don't know of any TV show or special by that name...

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Metamorphosis_(episode)

Episode 31, 2nd episode of Season 2 produced, aired November 10, 1967.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

Oh- gotcha. That's one of the original Star Trek episodes that must've slipped by me- I generally recognize most of the classic episodes. (But I haven't necessarily seen every single episode- one day I wouldn't mind borrowing all the DVDs from the library and systematically watching each episode. If only I had the time....I love Star Trek. 8))

hardygirl847

OK I thought this book was only a month old...but perhaps I was wrong??? I don't know. Oh well...who cares...

I LOVED this one!! It did take me longer to finish than usual but that was not the story's fault. I've been going through a lot and it wasn't top priority.

But lots of action and actual DANGER in this one. I was surprised. Some of the other blue spines I've read did not have this...as much.

From the title you know that something happens at midnight....but there were several midnights that things happened. I enjoyed that tie in as well.

When was this written again because I thought the last little part was HILARIOUS. I don't want to say exactly what it says but it looks into the future and makes a prediction. I actually laughed out loud. If they only knew....

I really enjoyed this one, like I said. I know it was the RT but I definitely will put it on my top faves list.

I suppose this review or whatever is kinda late but I did finish the book. I figured I should at least say something. :)

MacGyver

Glad you got to finish the book. There's plenty of action and danger in most of the original 58 Hardy Boys books. But I guess it varies from book to book and it also depends on one's individual definition of "action" and "danger" as to the amounts.
I'm thinking the prediction "What Happened at Midnight" makes at the end is that little did Frank and Joe know that soon another exciting mystery would come upon them in the future While The Clock Ticked. (which, by the way, is another pretty cool and intriguing title.)

hardygirl847

MacGyver,

You have a point. There are parts that are dangerous in the blue spines or have action but not to the level I am used to with a Casefile. It always comes back to those. lol So my definition of action and danger is usually put up against Casefiles because I have read more of those. I enjoy blue spines though...they are fun to read, longer, enticing, and of course...has my boys in it!

I have While the Clock Ticked. Perhaps I will make that one the next one on my "to read" list along with Dead of Night. Thanks for the tip.

SDLagent

Glad you liked What Happened at Midnight?. After The House on the Cliff it's probably my favourite.

hardygirl847

MacGyver,

I read While the Clock Ticked and it was great!! A lot of action, lots of mysteries, and danger! Definitely a fave now. Thanks!

MacGyver