Favourite book

Started by trixz15, December 18, 2011, 10:14:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trixz15

Write ur UnderCover Bro.'s one or two best book.....
EG: mine are 1) Extreme Danger and Top ten Ways to Die
because Extreme Danger was the most actions, and surprise ending one.
and top ten ways to die because it was kinda funny, had diffrent rescues and diffrent stories!!

MacGyver

Unfortunately I have yet to read any of the Undercover Brothers series so I cannot say which is my favorite book. I have some favorites in the Original continuity and the Digests and the Casefiles though. Perhaps when I finally read Extreme Danger, as I plan to in the next month or so, that one may well be my favorite from that series...
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Hardy Boys UB Fan

tomswift2002

Quote from: Mistletoe on December 18, 2011, 04:38:21 PM
#20. Feeding Frenzy.

That has got to have the most ridiculous premise ever; killing people with hot dogs.  Of course there wasn't all that many better plots in the series.

But my two top UB's would have to be Wanted and The Ocean of Osyria.  The worst book of the series would have to be a tie between Pushed & Gold Medal Murder;  those books are still sitting on my bookshelf with the bookmarks in the spots where I left off, so with Pushed that means that it has been about 5 years since I started it.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

So this doesn't seem to say much for the UB series when one of your favorite titles is actually one of the graphic novels rather than an actual book from the series. ;)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

SDLagent

Quote from: Mistletoe on December 18, 2011, 04:38:21 PM
#20. Feeding Frenzy.

I would have to agree with Tom's assessment of this one but it is pretty well written, had some good drama, and perhaps the most intense scene in the whole UB series. But, yeah, it was about hot dogs.  ???

Quote from: MacGyver on December 18, 2011, 11:41:19 PM
So this doesn't seem to say much for the UB series when one of your favorite titles is actually one of the graphic novels rather than an actual book from the series. ;)

There's a lot of graphic novels that I'd rank higher than my favourite UB novel. Wanted, Extreme Danger and Running on Fumes are all pretty good though. There were some good ones later in the series, too, like Death and Diamonds (which reminded me of a Casefile), Murder at the Mall, and Comic Con Artist.

As far as the worst books, I'd have to say there was a lot of bad books and a lot of mediocre books and eventually you got numb to it but one book does stick out in my mind as especially bad - The Mummy's Curse. From what I remember,  the Hardy boys didn't get along (one of biggest downsides to the UB although it did improve as the series progressed) and a monkey - yes, I said monkey - helped them solve the case.

tomswift2002

Quote from: SDLagent on December 19, 2011, 01:29:10 AM
As far as the worst books, I'd have to say there was a lot of bad books and a lot of mediocre books and eventually you got numb to it but one book does stick out in my mind as especially bad - The Mummy's Curse. From what I remember,  the Hardy boys didn't get along (one of biggest downsides to the UB although it did improve as the series progressed) and a monkey - yes, I said monkey - helped them solve the case.

I don't even remember much about The Mummy's Curse, except that it had a very similar title to The Hardy Boys #63 The Mummy Case, and that it occurred in Egypt (which I had totally forgotten about till I looked it up, so I guess in the entire run of the series the Hardy's only left the US, what? 2 times in the entire Aladdin series (with the second time being in the ND/HB Danger Overseas?)).  But I remember that in Trouble In Paradise the author left the ending dangling without even bothering to tell the reader that for sure the criminals had been caught.

When you compare that to the first 39 books of the Original series you had the Hardy's outside the US in 7 of the original 39 books (that's counting both Original and Revised texts together, since in some books the Hardy's don't go outside the US in the Original, ie. Footprints Under The Window, but they do in the Revised), while the Casefiles had 9 out of the first 39 books take place outside the US, while the SuperMystery'88 series had 2 of the first 6 books (the first six go up to The Paris Connection, since TPC came out in April 1990, while Casefiles #39 Flesh and Blood came out in May 1990, so I was trying to go by the same time span) take place outside the US.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 

MacGyver

QuoteBut I remember that in Trouble In Paradise the author left the ending dangling without even bothering to tell the reader that for sure the criminals had been caught.
There is a similar scenario in one of the Digests- #154 The Caribbean Cruise Caper and I'd never totally liked that ending because of that...

SDLagent

Quote from: Santa Claus on December 19, 2011, 02:07:03 PM
I don't even remember much about The Mummy's Curse, except that it had a very similar title to The Hardy Boys #63 The Mummy Case, and that it occurred in Egypt (which I had totally forgotten about till I looked it up, so I guess in the entire run of the series the Hardy's only left the US, what? 2 times in the entire Aladdin series (with the second time being in the ND/HB Danger Overseas?)).  But I remember that in Trouble In Paradise the author left the ending dangling without even bothering to tell the reader that for sure the criminals had been caught.

When you compare that to the first 39 books of the Original series you had the Hardy's outside the US in 7 of the original 39 books (that's counting both Original and Revised texts together, since in some books the Hardy's don't go outside the US in the Original, ie. Footprints Under The Window, but they do in the Revised), while the Casefiles had 9 out of the first 39 books take place outside the US, while the SuperMystery'88 series had 2 of the first 6 books (the first six go up to The Paris Connection, since TPC came out in April 1990, while Casefiles #39 Flesh and Blood came out in May 1990, so I was trying to go by the same time span) take place outside the US.

I think the Hardys left the US four times in the novels. Rocky Road (a short trip across the border into Ontario), The Mummy's Curse, Trouble in Paradise, and Danger Overseas.

tomswift2002

Quote from: SDLagent on December 19, 2011, 05:24:18 PM
I think the Hardys left the US four times in the novels. Rocky Road (a short trip across the border into Ontario), The Mummy's Curse, Trouble in Paradise, and Danger Overseas.

Trouble In Paradise takes place in the US Virgin Islands.  So, technically, that's still within US territory.

Olivia

Quote from: SDLagent on December 19, 2011, 01:29:10 AM
Wanted, Extreme Danger and Running on Fumes are all pretty good though. There were some good ones later in the series, too, like Death and Diamonds (which reminded me of a Casefile), Murder at the Mall, and Comic Con Artist.

I agree that those are some of the better ones.

SDLagent

Quote from: Santa Claus on December 19, 2011, 05:27:23 PM
Trouble In Paradise takes place in the US Virgin Islands.  So, technically, that's still within US territory.

Oh, okay, I'd forgotten that.

JoeHardyRocks

Wanted and Hurricane Joe. The others aren't as good as I used to think, but those are still two of my favorites :)
"Hey! Don't do that here. You'll mess up my bedspread."
Rolling his eyes, Joe sat on the window sill and started sawing.
"Thank you, Joe."
"You're welcome, Martha Stewart."

SDLagent

Yeah, Hurricane Joe is pretty good from what I remember. And everyone likes Wanted.

MacGyver

Well, I'm planning to read Extreme Danger anyway. I guess now I've got some other top rated choices to read in the series as well. :)