New Hardy Boys Graphic Novels

Started by SDLagent, April 03, 2009, 11:57:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SDLagent

Both the 18th and 19th titles in The Hardy Boys Graphic Novel series have been confirmed on Amazon.com. Book #18 ''D.A.N.G.E.R. Spells the Hangman!'' and #19 ''Chaos at 30,000 Feet!'' will be released in September and November, respectively. As you can see below, these titles introduce a new cover style to the graphic novels, following the example of the novels, which switched to this design in May of last year.

SDLagent

The cover design of the Nancy Drew graphics will also be revamped:

So, what do you guys think of these changes? I know I wasn't in support of the change, when SkyWarp posted that poll about this, while back...but after seeing these I like it better. You can see more of the artwork with the new look.

Keep in mind, that I'm pretty sure the final product will look a little different, considering the black behind the ''Papercutz'' word mark on HB #18, and the lack of credit on #19 and the ND title. Also note, the line that reads ''based on the series by Franklin W. Dixon'' is missing. I suspect this, too, is only the case for this pre-release version, but if it's not, do you like this change?

The only problem I'll have is, if they change the book spines. It'll mess-up how they look on my bookshelf! I don't think they will, though, considering the graphics never had the same spins as the S&S novels, anyway.

Now, on to the actual stories. After two un-aw-inspiring titles in ''Shhhhhh!'' and ''Word Up!'', Scott Lobdell delivered with these titles (one thing though: enough exclamation points already!). The title ''D.A.N.G.E.R. Spells the Hangman!'' really makes you wonder (as does the mysterious cover) and I'm already interested in this story. ''Chaos at 30,000 Feet!'' sounds interesting, too.

Bigfootman

Wow, now they are taking cover ideas from casefiles ::) . (See Danger Unlimited)

http://bigfootmanshardyboysandnancydrew.blogspot.ca

Most Recent Post:
"Tom Swift Inventors' Academy" Cancelled?

Bigfootman

Gahhh! My posts aren't working!
I was saying, I now notace they are using the title of a sucky Hardy Boys book for an ND GN.

http://bigfootmanshardyboysandnancydrew.blogspot.ca

Most Recent Post:
"Tom Swift Inventors' Academy" Cancelled?

tomswift2002

It also appears as if Papercutz is shortening the release time between books from 3 months to 2, since #18 is scheduled for a September 15, 2009 release (according to Amazon.com), while #19 is set for a November 24, 2009 release.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

SkyWarp

Quote from: Dinosaur Dan on April 04, 2009, 06:31:12 AM
Wow, now they are taking cover ideas from casefiles ::) . (See Danger Unlimited)

I thought the exact same thing I when I saw that cover. Although I somehow dount they did it on purpose, I think its just coincidence.

With that said, my concern is also the spines.  I have never been a fan of changing spines in a series for the same reason that it makes the books look strange on the shelf.  ARGH!  That is my biggest gripe in the Casefiles series and a continued gripe in the UB series.  But I am betting the spines WILL change.   They've sort of changed one already though after #4.  So I hope any change now will not be much different than the change from #4 to #5. 

tomswift2002

At least these covers look better than the photograph-paste-and-cut covers being made by Photoshop that Simon & Schuster is putting out for the new mainstream novels. 

And I agree, the cover to "30,000 Feet" is reminiscent of Danger Unlimited.  Hopefully the book will be as good as the Casefiles novel.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 

SDLagent

Quote from: SkyWarp on April 04, 2009, 01:52:35 PM
I thought the exact same thing I when I saw that cover. Although I somehow dount they did it on purpose, I think its just coincidence.

With that said, my concern is also the spines.  I have never been a fan of changing spines in a series for the same reason that it makes the books look strange on the shelf.  ARGH!  That is my biggest gripe in the Casefiles series and a continued gripe in the UB series.  But I am betting the spines WILL change.   They've sort of changed one already though after #4.  So I hope any change now will not be much different than the change from #4 to #5. 

Maybe we should tell Papercutz we don't want the spines to change. I don't think it's to late, considering #18 doesn't come out until September.

tomswift2002

Quote from: SDLagent on April 04, 2009, 02:15:18 PM
Maybe we should tell Papercutz we don't want the spines to change. I don't think it's to late, considering #18 doesn't come out until September.

True, it may not be too late.  But at the same time it might be, since we are just under 6 months away from the release date, so I would think that #18 might already be at the printers, or close to being sent to the printers, so that there is enough time the print up the thousands of copies that Papercutz needs in order to release the book, and then also giving them time to ship the books to their distribution centers and on to the distribution centers for the various bookstores that are carrying the books.

Olivia

I don?t know what I think. It looks like it morphed into one series - like they turned the Hardy Boys into one cartoon series instead of having two separate lines of books.

I mean, it?s good because it ties them together and the style's fine. It's just that the GNs don't seem as visually distinct anymore. Of course, I know in person I'll definitely see and feel the difference.

I'm not negative on this but I'm not purely positive either, I guess *shrugs*

003Robin457

Wow sweet cover art!
Quote from: SDLagent on April 04, 2009, 01:42:52 AM
The only problem I'll have is, if they change the book spines. It'll mess-up how they look on my bookshelf! I don't think they will, though, considering the graphics never had the same spins as the S&S novels, anyway.
Just what I was thinking! Please don't change the spines! At least not too much.
Quote from: tomswift2002 on April 04, 2009, 01:54:05 PM
And I agree, the cover to "30,000 Feet" is reminiscent of Danger Unlimited.  Hopefully the book will be as good as the Casefiles novel.
Yes they are very similar but this one (or mabey bouth) is probally just trying to imitate North by Northwest.
Quote from: SDLagent on April 04, 2009, 01:42:52 AM
Now, on to the actual stories. After two un-aw-inspiring titles in ''Shhhhhh!'' and ''Word Up!'', Scott Lobdell delivered with these titles (one thing though: enough exclamation points already!). The title ''D.A.N.G.E.R. Spells the Hangman!'' really makes you wonder (as does the mysterious cover) and I'm already interested in this story. ''Chaos at 30,000 Feet!'' sounds interesting, too.
Judging buy the cover ''D.A.N.G.E.R. Spells the Hangman!'' isa speling be but the Hangman sounds mysterious. Who is this mysterious man? Altouugh I get it hangman like the game. BTW is that Phil and Callie on the cover?

''Chaos at 30,000 Feet!'' agin is a real intreaging cover and title. If the book is North by Northwest-ish then we might see the Hardys on the run or a good gov't/ATAC story. Will WARD appear?

003Robin457

Quote from: tomswift2002 on April 04, 2009, 01:49:54 PM
It also appears as if Papercutz is shortening the release time between books from 3 months to 2, since #18 is scheduled for a September 15, 2009 release (according to Amazon.com), while #19 is set for a November 24, 2009 release.
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D

FrankJoeATAC

I don't really like the new cover art. IMO it makes Frank and Joe look all rough and tough instead of detectives. Notice the flaming dice on Frank's vest?

SkyWarp

I like the new design, but am not too keen on the hot pink and electric blue colors.  The previous few books have had more of what I like in artwork.  Now if they can just combine the new design with the older artwork, I would be most happy.  :)

SDLagent

I think the art looks pretty good, but, like you say, the colors are a little over the top.