2016 re-releases of Original series!

Started by MacGyver, September 26, 2015, 11:47:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacGyver

WOW! Awesome!!! Check out this Amazon.com listing for the first four titles of the Original Hardy Boys series! The Tower Treasure, The House on the Cliff, The Secret of the Old Mill and The Missing Chums are all getting re-released on May 3, 2016! I don't know for sure, but I feel that these books will probably get the same type of cool covers that the first four Nancy Drew books got a year or two back when they got re-released.
:) 8)

(Also, I noticed that on these listings, in the "About the Author" section, they actually mention that Franklin W. Dixon is a pseudonym used by numerous ghostwriters and actually list some of them! What? Talk about shattering childhood fantasies and illusions- lol. It's like someone claiming Santa Claus isn't real. ;D)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

SkyWarp

MacGyver

The Tower Treasure seems to be evoking the motorcycle scene from the first chapter of the book. I can dig that- the style has sort of an edgy or hipster-ish feel to it (to me). It's kinda cool, but I mostly don't like it. lol

I definitely like the cover for The Secret of the Old Mill much better- that one is pretty cool and reminds me of the classic Grossett & Dunlap style covers. But I don't really like the font for The Hardy Boys title for either though.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

tomswift2002

Well you have to remember that this is going to be quite a shock for people who've been reading the books for years, but in the case of "The Tower Treasure", the last "New" Revised cover art was in 1959, where it was replacing the cover from 1944, which in turn replaced the 1933 cover that had been an update (changing the sky color) of the 1927 cover.  And in the case of "The Secret Of The Old Mill", that cover came out in 1960, and was actually a redesign for the original text of the story and it was never updated for the revised text --- instead the author had to incorporate the cover scene into the text.  So we are talking about covers that haven't been updated in nearly 60 years.

So I think this is probably a marketing strategy for Grosset & Dunlap and Simon & Schuster, since it could be sales are down for the classic series, and new covers are a good way to generate sales.   But I think the 1959 and 60 covers will always be considered the "Classic" covers. 
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

QuoteSo I think this is probably a marketing strategy for Grosset & Dunlap and Simon & Schuster, since it could be sales are down for the classic series, and new covers are a good way to generate sales.   But I think the 1959 and 60 covers will always be considered the "Classic" covers. 
I definitely agree with that- the '59 and '60 covers will always be classic for me.

tomswift2002

With the 59 and 60 covers, they've been out even longer than any of the covers for original texts, so even for the originals, the covers would be considered the Classic covers for those by most people since the other covers are nothing more than footnotes for these titles.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 

Hardy Sleuth

I've seen all four of the collector covers for the HBs and the one I think looks the coolest is The House on the Cliff. 8) It's awesome. ;D Here are links for you to get to see them #2 and #4.

Joe Hardy said "Iola is alive, I can feel it. I couldn't feel this strongly about someone who was dead."

"Then I won't tell you to give up hope," Frank said softly. 8)

MacGyver

Thanks for the links to these, Hardy Sleuth! I do like the cover art for The House on the Cliff- that one is pretty neat, with the Hardy Boys on their motorcycles and the telescope visible, as well as Barmet Bay and of course- the house on the cliff! But I still don't really dig that font for the title. The cover art for The Missing Chums is nice, but seems to be a bit more abstract. I like that they referenced the skeleton costume from the book in the cover. I still think of these four my favorite has got to be The Secret of the Old Mill. If I get any of these for my collection, I might just get that one- I don't feel the need to get every single one, especially when it's just another copy of stories I already have. (I know some more hard core collectors will probably want to get every one for the sake of completeness though. I've kinda gotten to the point where I just can't financially do that kind of thing anyway and I'm trying to scale back some here and there.)

tomswift2002

Number 4 is UGLY.  I think it might turn off buyers.

Hardy Boys UB Fan

MacGyver

Nice! I've actually liked most of the Nancy Drew covers. Too bad The Hardy Boys covers have only been meh for the most part. (With some exceptions.)

SDLagent

I saw the redesigned Nancy Drew in a bookstore the other day. They looked good. These Hardy ones look even better! I think they're a vast improvement over those ugly blue flashlight editions.

Hardy Sleuth

Quote from: SDLagent on January 08, 2016, 01:17:21 AM
I saw the redesigned Nancy Drew in a bookstore the other day. They looked good. These Hardy ones look even better! I think they're a vast improvement over those ugly blue flashlight editions.

SDLagent, hi, :) haven't seen you here for a long time! How've you been? Just wondering the other day when you were ever going to drop by here. I keep you, and everyone @ Mr. Pizza, in my prayers. :)

??? You think the blue hardcovers are ugly?  :o I think they're cool looking. 8) Maybe it's the flashlight part of it you don't like? I thought you liked the cover art itself. 8)
Joe Hardy said "Iola is alive, I can feel it. I couldn't feel this strongly about someone who was dead."

"Then I won't tell you to give up hope," Frank said softly. 8)

MacGyver

Hey SDLagent- nice to see you posting here again. :) 8)

QuoteSDLagent, hi, :) haven't seen you here for a long time! How've you been? Just wondering the other day when you were ever going to drop by here. I keep you, and everyone @ Mr. Pizza, in my prayers. :)
I appreciate that, Hardy Sleuth- I pray for people on here too. 8)

QuoteMaybe it's the flashlight part of it you don't like? I
The artwork itself for those books are iconic to me. I like them just fine- but I can see how it might be time for an update. And the new covers are pretty neat in concept- I don't like the execution for most of them though. (Except The Secret of the Old Mill- that one came out really well I think.)

tomswift2002

Well the flashlight covers weren't really new covers, as the front cover image was still the same as the PC versions.