Hardy Boys Mystery #173 Speed Times Five

Started by Hardy Sleuth, September 21, 2012, 01:05:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy Sleuth

Hardy Boys Mystery #173 Speed Times Five is a great read! 8) It has intense action, and danger, and mystery, and humor - very cool! 8) Those are all things I expect from a Hardy Boys book and it totally delivers!! 8) I could try to name my favorite scenes but that would be just about the whole book and some would be spoilers. As you can probably tell, I loved it and I'm ready to read it again - and again! ;D
Joe Hardy said "Iola is alive, I can feel it. I couldn't feel this strongly about someone who was dead."

"Then I won't tell you to give up hope," Frank said softly. 8)

MacGyver

Nice to see some love for the Digests. :) 8)
It's been a while since I read Speed Times Five, but I remember enjoying the action of the extreme sports setting too. Of course, I love every Hardy Boys book in general. :D
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Hardy Sleuth

I love the Hardy Boys Mystery Stories and family and friends love 'em, too! ;D A great, exciting adventure like this is awesome! 8) I have a list of favorites and ones I still need to read. Between the stacks of books I've taken out from the library and what I own and family and friends own, I've been reading every Hardy Boys book and spinoff possible. :) One of my favorite things about the books is the brothers' teamwork.  8) And oh wow, the finale in Speed Times Five is so cool! 8)
Joe Hardy said "Iola is alive, I can feel it. I couldn't feel this strongly about someone who was dead."

MacGyver

Cool- I definitely like seeing the whole family and friends turned on to The Hardy Boys. :) 8) And I certainly love Frank and Joe's teamwork- that is always a highlight of the books. It seems like the Digest series (from #59 to #190) doesn't always get as much attention sometimes, but there are a lot of books in that run from Simon & Schuster's continuation of the Grossett & Dunlap books that I think that particularly stand out as quite memorable to me- of course, like I said, I love all of them anyway. :) 8)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Hardy Sleuth

Quote from: MacGyver on September 24, 2012, 09:34:07 PM
Cool- I definitely like seeing the whole family and friends turned on to The Hardy Boys. :) 8) And I certainly love Frank and Joe's teamwork- that is always a highlight of the books. It seems like the Digest series (from #59 to #190) doesn't always get as much attention sometimes, but there are a lot of books in that run from Simon & Schuster's continuation of the Grossett & Dunlap books that I think that particularly stand out as quite memorable to me- of course, like I said, I love all of them anyway. :) 8)

Oh yeah, it's really cool and fun! 8) :) 8) The Hardy Boys Mystery Stories, and I'm talking the whole series from #1-#190, get a lot of attention here. 8) :) They're bought up pretty quick and checked out of libraries a lot by many others besides my family and friends. 8) And even more important than being popular - they are awesome reads! ;D I wanted to ask you which titles are your favorites but I think you'd have the same problem as me - wanting to name most all of them! ;D

MacGyver

From #1 to #190?........... well, I can try to name a few highlights that I've enjoyed reading and rereading, but yeah- ultimately, I love them all!
But here are a few favorites (and I'll just use the numbers to save me some typing ;))

#1, #2, #3, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13, #19, #21, #22, #30, #36, #37 (read and reread!), #39 (the first Hardy Boys book I ever remember reading!), #41 (read and reread!), #43, #44, #45 (love the undercover work and the chums helping in this one), #46, #49 (read and reread!), #50, #52 (read and reread many times!), #54, #56, #59 (I love the Scooby-Doo feel that they started bringing to the books at this point), #60, #64, #66, #68, #70, #71, #73, #74, #75, #76, #77 (read and reread!), #80 (read and reread!), #81 (very cool scifi element in this book!), #82, #83, #84, #85, #86, #89, #90 (read and reread!), #92, #93, #94 (read and reread a number of times), #97 (read and reread!), #100 (LOVE the tie-in to the first book in the series!), #101, #104, #105 (read and reread!), #106, #107, #115 (read and reread many times!), #117 (read and reread!), #118, #120, #123, #125, #127, #131, #132, #133, #135, #136, #140, #143, #147, #149, #150, #153, #154, #155, #156, #157, #160, #161, #162 (short but sweet!), #165, #166, #167, #168, #170 (read and reread!), #171 (read and reread!), #172, #173, #174, #175 (read and reread!), #178, #179, #180, #182, #186 (just thought the concept in this one was way cool!), #187, #188 (so nice to have the Mortons heavily involved in this one), #189, and #190.

Okay- there's a brief list. But like I said- they're all great. I have read all of The Hardy Boys books from #1 to #190 at least once (revised versions anyway)- and I have read some of the original versions now as well. I am still working on reading the rest of the original text versions. And don't worry- I love The Hardy Boys Casefiles as well- I've read all 127 of those too. And even so, there are still plenty of other spin-off series books I'm working on reading as I can. :) 8)

Hardy Sleuth

Quote from: MacGyver on September 24, 2012, 10:37:29 PM
From #1 to #190?........... well, I can try to name a few highlights that I've enjoyed reading and rereading, but yeah- ultimately, I love them all!
But here are a few favorites (and I'll just use the numbers to save me some typing ;))

#1, #2, #3, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13, #19, #21, #22, #30, #36, #37 (read and reread!), #39 (the first Hardy Boys book I ever remember reading!), #41 (read and reread!), #43, #44, #45 (love the undercover work and the chums helping in this one), #46, #49 (read and reread!), #50, #52 (read and reread many times!), #54, #56, #59 (I love the Scooby-Doo feel that they started bringing to the books at this point), #60, #64, #66, #68, #70, #71, #73, #74, #75, #76, #77 (read and reread!), #80 (read and reread!), #81 (very cool scifi element in this book!), #82, #83, #84, #85, #86, #89, #90 (read and reread!), #92, #93, #94 (read and reread a number of times), #97 (read and reread!), #100 (LOVE the tie-in to the first book in the series!), #101, #104, #105 (read and reread!), #106, #107, #115 (read and reread many times!), #117 (read and reread!), #118, #120, #123, #125, #127, #131, #132, #133, #135, #136, #140, #143, #147, #149, #150, #153, #154, #155, #156, #157, #160, #161, #162 (short but sweet!), #165, #166, #167, #168, #170 (read and reread!), #171 (read and reread!), #172, #173, #174, #175 (read and reread!), #178, #179, #180, #182, #186 (just thought the concept in this one was way cool!), #187, #188 (so nice to have the Mortons heavily involved in this one), #189, and #190.

Okay- there's a brief list. But like I said- they're all great. I have read all of The Hardy Boys books from #1 to #190 at least once (revised versions anyway)- and I have read some of the original versions now as well. I am still working on reading the rest of the original text versions. And don't worry- I love The Hardy Boys Casefiles as well- I've read all 127 of those too. And even so, there are still plenty of other spin-off series books I'm working on reading as I can. :) 8)

WOW, COOL! 8) ;D I've got a list on the computer here with all of the titles so I'm going to enjoy seeing which ones I've read also and your comments! ;D I recognize some of the title numbers immediately as ones I've read (and reread) and loved, too! 8) :) And also some on my list to find so it's cool seeing that you read them and thought they're particularly great. 8) Well, I'm going right now to check out my list! Might not be back on tonight but hopefully I'll have a chance tomorrow. :)

MacGyver

Cool! Nice to know we have some favorite titles in comoon. :) 8)
Of course, if you want to read The Hardy Boys books that are particularly great- read them ALL! :) 8)

Hardy Sleuth

Yep, we definitely share a number of favorites, MacGyver! ;D 8) That was fun reading your list. 8) I know you love all of them! ;D There are so many great reads you listed - such as #100 The Secret of the Island Treasure, I love this one, too! ;D It is soooooooooo cool! ;D Like you said, how it ties in with the first, love that, it is awesome. I've read it more than once. And I want to read it again. ;D

MacGyver

Yeah, #100 The Secret of the Island Treasure is pretty sweet! Simon & Schuster did a nice job with the 100th. titles in both their Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew series, as they both tie back in to their respective first books in their series.
I particularly appreciated having some flashbacks to The Tower Treasure in the book, including Joe mentioning that he was a lot younger then. ;D  (both a joke regarding the fact that it had been 63 years ago when the first book was published at that time, as well as the fact that Joe and Frank literally were younger in the original text versions.)

tomswift2002

Quote from: MacGyver on September 27, 2012, 10:22:59 AM
I particularly appreciated having some flashbacks to The Tower Treasure in the book, including Joe mentioning that he was a lot younger then. ;D  (both a joke regarding the fact that it had been 63 years ago when the first book was published at that time, as well as the fact that Joe and Frank literally were younger in the original text versions.)

I think that when #100 The Secret Of The Island Treasure was written, the author was probably referring to the 1959 version (which would've come out 31 years before Island Treasure), since the 1927 version had been out of print for a long, long time by 1990, and the Applewood reprint wouldn't occur for another year, possilbe year and a half (I know the Applewood reprint came out in 1991, I'm just not sure whether it was an early-1991 release, meaning between January and June, or a late-1991 release from between July and December).
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

Well, yes- that's true. The nice thing is that it's sort of a meta joke- it can work on multiple levels at once. For those who remember the original text version of The Hardy Boys, it was the 63rd. anniversary for the series. For those who grew up with the revised versions, it was the 31st. anniversary. :)

Hardy Sleuth

Quote from: MacGyver on September 27, 2012, 10:22:59 AM
Yeah, #100 The Secret of the Island Treasure is pretty sweet! Simon & Schuster did a nice job with the 100th. titles in both their Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew series, as they both tie back in to their respective first books in their series.

That would be cool to read #100 for the Nancy Drew series. I'll have to try to find that. 8)

Yeah, pretty clever stuff! 8) And Frank kidding Joe about being klutzy and then what happened right after that - uh oh, look out! ;)

The author had to have been aware that the first Hardy Boys book was written in 1927 when writing #100, The Secret of the Island Treasure, at the very least just by opening the cover of a revised edition of The Tower Treasure and flipping a few pages to see that it was copyrighted in 1987, 1959, 1955, 1927 (the copy I'm looking at is a 2006 printing). 8) :)

MacGyver

QuoteThat would be cool to read #100 for the Nancy Drew series. I'll have to try to find that.
Yep- A Secret in Time features another Nancy Drew mystery and adventure involving the Crowley clock... :) 8)
You can get a copy here, but I don't know if you want to pay that much for it...you can probably find it cheaper somewhere else online- maybe Ebay or another bookseller (www.abebooks.com is a good one.)
I've got a copy of this book that I ran across a while back- I thought it was nice to have for my very limited Nancy Drew collection. One of these days I want to read The Secret of the Old Clock and A Secret in Time back to back. :) 8)

tomswift2002

Quote from: Hardy Sleuth on September 27, 2012, 10:31:34 PM
The author had to have been aware that the first Hardy Boys book was written in 1927 when writing #100, The Secret of the Island Treasure, at the very least just by opening the cover of a revised edition of The Tower Treasure and flipping a few pages to see that it was copyrighted in 1987, 1959, 1955, 1927 (the copy I'm looking at is a 2006 printing). 8) :)

Not quite, since the old copyright dates weren't added to the copyright page till 1987, and then before that Grosset & Dunlap had added a line of text to all the books, starting around 1980-81, just after the court decision saying "Copyright assigned to Stratemeyer Syndicate 1980", with the original revised copyright date still on the copyright page reading "Copyright 19xx by Grosset & Dunlap, Inc.", although on some of the books in the late #20's and #30's they did have both the original and revised copyright dates. 

But for "The Tower Treasure", any copy from before 1987 would've had the  1959 date, with the odd few having the 1980 date.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca