Your thoughts on the new series *no spoilers*

Started by P. Walker, February 05, 2013, 05:22:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

P. Walker

P. Walker

Hmmm...so Im about halfway through Red Arrow and Im not totally sure if Im sold on this new series or not. As already stated in another post Im not too fond of the character-switching bit of business, and Im not too sure if I like the pop-culture references (Halloween, Saw, Hostel, YouTube) The main problem with doing stuff like that is that it ages the books faster than it would if those references werent included. I understand that sometimes a writer has to do it, but I think it should be done sparingly and not used in order to make a book/series "relevant" or "hip".
Even though the book is quite short--a hundred and fifty-odd pages--it feels longer b/c theres not much going for it. I guess Im just stuck on the Casefiles, but the writing here is just off, for lack of a better word. I will try and finish the book tonight before heading off to bed, and Im sure I'll finish up the 2nd book by this weekend, but my initial feelings so far is just "average". Not bad, not good.

PS: Is it me or does it seem like theyve simply dumbed down the HB books, since the Casefiles series? They were more "adult" with murder and political corruption and even the writing felt more polished at times. Im hoping Im wrong and I will like where Red Arrow takes us, but so far--at Chapter 8--it has yet to grow legs and take the reader anywhere.

just my 2 cents

tomswift2002

The books in the Files-Casefiles continuity were aimed at the Young Adult market (Grades 6 to 11), while all the other series (such as the Mystery Stories) were aimed at a more broader audience (Grades 4 to 9).  The UB's seemed to have been aimed at Grades 3 to 5, while the Clues Brothers/Secret Files are aimed at Grades 1 & 2.  With the Minstrel books you can usually see the Reading Level on the back, while the Casefiles had their reading level on the copyright page (both were representative of he Flesch-Kincaid level of the book, the later Aladdin books just list the Ages of 9-12 for the reading level).
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

P. Walker

So Ive finished up with the Red Arrow:

Despite my initial reactions, honestly I can see this series growing on me. Sure its a major step down from the personal favorite, the Casefiles, but I suppose some things have to move forward. My previous gripes are still valid, coupled with a few more: a lackluster main villian, and the end fight scene. Casefiles universe wouldve had Frank and Joe easily besting the villian with both hands tied behind their backs and blindfolded. Its hard to read becuas eI keep[ expecing to see familiar faces (Collig, Con Riley) and know that (so far) they are MIA. (I know Chet and Iola show up later)

I know the reading levels has been lowered and all from the Casefiles, but I honestly dont know why they did that. In my opinion that would be the perfect reading level. I would think that they would want to capture the 16, 17 year old crowd, at least a demographic that would almost mirror the ages of the boys...but what do I know, Im no marketing expert. I know Ive made many references to the Casefiles, but they will always hold a special place in my heart, along with the Classics

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Got both of the new Hardy Boys books, and I like them. :)

MacGyver

QuoteI know the reading levels has been lowered and all from the Casefiles, but I honestly dont know why they did that. In my opinion that would be the perfect reading level. I would think that they would want to capture the 16, 17 year old crowd, at least a demographic that would almost mirror the ages of the boys...but what do I know, Im no marketing expert. I know Ive made many references to the Casefiles, but they will always hold a special place in my heart, along with the Classics

I understand your love for the Casefiles as that is one of my favorite Hardy Boys series as well. However, one thing to keep in mind here is that technically this series is a spinoff series from the main original Hardy Boys Mystery Stories series. (The series that spans from #1-190: The Tower Treasure to Motocross Madness. Some have further subdivisions from there- the first 38 books have both an "Original Text" version and a "Revised" version and books #59-190 have become known as the "Digests".)
    And these books are all aimed at children and written somewhere around a 5th. grade reading level, I believe. The Casefiles series (and other series set in that same universe- "Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys Supermysteries" and "Tom Swift and The Hardy Boys Ultrathrillers"- and the "Nancy Drew Files" and "Tom Swift IV" series) is really the one that broke the mold to aim a series at teenagers and up the reading level.
           I can see how it would make sense to market books to teenage boys in particular so they can read about boys their own age doing adventurous things, but that works even more so sometimes for children. I think young boys in particular (yes, girls can appreciate this too, but I'm looking at the primary demographic target here) look up to the older male role models here, so there is some allure to these older kids who do these exciting things.
         In any case, The Hardy Boys Adventures series is in line with all the other Hardy Boys series in terms of reading level and demographic targets, excepting for the Casefiles of course. But as I just said, this series is actually the exception to the model rather than the rule.
          But I think it probably makes a big difference with what series first introduced one to The Hardy Boys. I grew up reading the original Hardy Boys Mystery Stories series (with mainly revised text stories, but also some original text stories, though I didn't realize it at the time) and then I also started reading the Casefiles alongside these books as they started being released in 1987. And I was also reading the Digests at the same time as well. And I've continued reading the various Hardy Boys books to be released from there. (Or at least I've collected them- I still have yet to read all of the Undercover Brothers series or get into the Adventures series.)
         However, for someone who primarily was familiar with the Casefiles and was first introduced to The Hardy Boys through the Casefiles, I can see how this series would be viewed as their personal "main series" and everything else considered an alternate series or spinoff.
         For now it seems that Simon & Schuster is sticking with focusing on children in marketing The Hardy Boys series. Maybe one day they will do another series focused more at teenagers again- but even so, I don't think there will ever be another series quite like the Casefiles. :) 8)
           However, for
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

tomswift2002

VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

However, for nothing. I don't know why I still had that on there- that was a mistake. ;D
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

P. Walker

Quote from: MacGyver on March 28, 2013, 09:16:45 AM
However, for nothing. I don't know why I still had that on there- that was a mistake. ;D

;) ;)