January 2012 Book Club Discussion--Dead on Arrival

Started by Hardy Boys UB Fan, January 02, 2012, 03:43:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Dead on Arrival

Published May 1995
Post your thoughts and comments on this adventure here.

MacGyver

I am still in the middle of reading A Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys Supermystery: Dead on Arrival now, but I am enjoying pretty well so far. In this book, Brenda Carlton shows up a good bit. I get the impression that she is a character from The Nancy Drew Files series. I'm not familiar enough with all of Nancy Drew's books to know, but does anyone know if she's just a character from that series or if she's in the original Nancy Drew books too? It's neat having Frank and Joe Hardy working on a case in River Heights and having Chief McGinnis involved- this is probably the only book in this series that has a mystery around the homestead. It would be nice if they had had Nancy Drew visit The Hardy Boys in Bayport to solve a mystery there as well, but I don't think that ever happened in this series. (Though it has happened in other books.) Also, does anyone recall if any of The Hardy Boys' friends ever showed up in any of the Supermystery '88 books? Nancy's friends George and Bess usually show up, but I consider them part of Nancy's mystery-solving team, just like Frank and Joe are a mystery-solving brother team, so I kind of expect them to show up pretty regularly. Ned shows up every now and then too- but I can't recall seeing Callie show up in any of these books. (Obviously Iola wouldn't since it's set in The Hardy Boys Casefiles universe.) But what about Chet, Biff, Phil, or Tony? Or even Fenton Hardy or Aunt Gertrude or Chief Collig or Officer Con Riley? I've seen Hannah Gruen show up in this book, but apparently no Carson Drew. (So I'm really glad they made sure to mention that Hannah was there, otherwise it would've looked really messed up for Nancy to be having Frank and Joe stay at her house if her dad's not there.) Oh yeah- Aunt Gertrude was fleetingly mentioned in this book, but I can't think of any others where she's made an actual appearance. But then, as I said before, none of the others have been set in Bayport, at least not that I can think of.
       Anyway, as to the book itself, it's going pretty good so far- Brenda's brash accusations that are styming Nancy's investigation make for some good comedic moments. And Frank and Joe undercover as EMTs makes for an interesting aspect too- it gives readers a neat look at how the medical technician responders work.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

tomswift2002

Fenton Hardy and Carson Drew both appeared in A Question of Guilt where you got the feeling that they've been friends for years, plus I believe that both Carson and Fenton appear in Tropic of Fear.

The boys returned to River Heights in Royal Revenge and even reference DOA in that book.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

Cool- thanks for the info. I remember about A Question of Guilt now, but I'd have to check back on the other books- I've read them but it's been a while...
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

MacGyver

I had to laugh a little in this book as Joe gets the girl again ;D  I think his scene kissing Renee was probably about as involved in describing the romance side of the Hardys' lives as the series usually gets into describing that of Nancy's life. So that was a nice change.

Bigfootman

Quote from: MacGyver on January 02, 2012, 10:35:31 PM
I am still in the middle of reading A Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys Supermystery: Dead on Arrival now, but I am enjoying pretty well so far. In this book, Brenda Carlton shows up a good bit. I get the impression that she is a character from The Nancy Drew Files series.

She is a character in the "Nancy Drew Files" .She first appeared in "Secrets Can Kill" (not the game). 

http://bigfootmanshardyboysandnancydrew.blogspot.ca

Most Recent Post:
"Tom Swift Inventors' Academy" Cancelled?

MacGyver

Bigfootman

I was thinking that the villain (who's name I forget), deserves a mention on this TV tropes page:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Monster/Literature

http://bigfootmanshardyboysandnancydrew.blogspot.ca

Most Recent Post:
"Tom Swift Inventors' Academy" Cancelled?

MacGyver

Okay- I finished this book today. :) And wow- that was quite a read. Overall, I liked it pretty well. The villian was definitely pretty creepy- that's got to be one of the most morbid things The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew have encountered in their cases. It seemed like there was even a slight hint of a sequel of sorts (okay- not really a sequel- but a book where Nancy returns the favor) where Frank suggests maybe having Nancy Drew solve a mystery with The Hardys in Bayport. Unfortunately, I don't think that ever happened in this series- though it has happened in other books (like the Super Sleuths books.)

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: MacGyver on January 16, 2012, 11:36:18 AM
Okay- I finished this book today. :) And wow- that was quite a read. Overall, I liked it pretty well. The villian was definitely pretty creepy- that's got to be one of the most morbid things The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew have encountered in their cases. It seemed like there was even a slight hint of a sequel of sorts (okay- not really a sequel- but a book where Nancy returns the favor) where Frank suggests maybe having Nancy Drew solve a mystery with The Hardys in Bayport. Unfortunately, I don't think that ever happened in this series- though it has happened in other books (like the Super Sleuths books.)

What did you think of the whole EMT aspect? I thought it seemed a bit bland at times.

MacGyver

They did a pretty good job of explaining some of what EMTs do- but they didn't really have the room to go fully in-depth on the topic, as it wasn't the main focus of the book. Still, for people with interest in ambulances and emergency medical situations, it would probably help pique their interest- maybe even inspire someone to learn more about it. That's always been one of the components of Hardy Boys books- a little bit of education with solid information on topics of interest to kids, along with an entertaining mystery and plenty of action.

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: MacGyver on January 16, 2012, 11:43:05 AM
They did a pretty good job of explaining some of what EMTs do- but they didn't really have the room to go fully in-depth on the topic, as it wasn't the main focus of the book. Still, for people with interest in ambulances and emergency medical situations, it would probably help pique their interest- maybe even inspire someone to learn more about it. That's always been one of the components of Hardy Boys books- a little bit of education with solid information on topics of interest to kids, along with an entertaining mystery and plenty of action.

Joe sure made a mistake when he left his drivers licence in the locker didn't he? ::)

MacGyver

yeah, but it helped move the plot along, so it's okay- lol. ;)

Hardy Boys UB Fan