Play Ball (90s TV series episode)

Started by Bigfootman, February 18, 2011, 08:47:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigfootman

I can sum this episode up in one word: awful. I couldn't even finish it because it was so bad. The story moved along slower then a snail with a 100 pound weight on it's back, and I waited in vain for a mystery. If there was one, I stopped watching before the Hardy Boys investigated it.

All I saw was a newspaper reporter being a jerk, writing a nasty article, and claiming it was written by Frank. That's would be a good sub-plot, not something to make a main plot out of! I used fast-forward and stopped watching when I saw that the episode was STILL focusing on the newspaper article. For crying out loud, that plot is something I'd except to see in a "Nancy Drew On Campus" story, not in a Hardy Boys TV series. Who thought that this was a good idea? No wonder the TV series got cancelled!

Update: Rating removed, as I'll admit I should finish it before rating it.

http://bigfootmanshardyboysandnancydrew.blogspot.ca

Most Recent Post:
"Tom Swift Inventors' Academy" Cancelled?

JoeHardyRocks

WOW, uhh maybe you'd have better reviews of a LOT of things if you'd actually finished them... Just a suggestion.

I've seen all the episodes, and none of them particulary stood out as AWFUL, but seeing as they were all around 20 minute mysteries, they were pretty well done. I remember this one, and it wasn't too bad, I'd give it like a 6.4 out of 10.
"Hey! Don't do that here. You'll mess up my bedspread."
Rolling his eyes, Joe sat on the window sill and started sawing.
"Thank you, Joe."
"You're welcome, Martha Stewart."

MacGyver

I agree with JHR that this episode was pretty good. The problem with all of the episodes is that the format constricted them to half an hour and it just really isn't enough time to tell a complex mystery.  (Not if they want to build character development too anyway.)
Most Scooby-Doo cartoons seemed to do this a bit better- but then their mysteries weren't generally as complex either. I think The Scooby-Doo Movie Mysteries did a little better because they had an hour to work with in that case. But anyway, despite the constrictions working against it, I think The Hardy Boys still managed to be a pretty good, entertaining show. You just have to pay really close attention to everything- and it's great to watch this show on video so that I can pause it and rewind it if I need to go back and catch something, because I do like to try to follow along with the mystery and try to solve it, just like I do with Scooby-Doo's shows. :)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Bigfootman

Quote from: JoeHardyRocks on February 18, 2011, 01:30:12 PM
WOW, uhh maybe you'd have better reviews of a LOT of things if you'd actually finished them... Just a suggestion.
Name five other things I didn't finnish before reviewing. I'll admit it may have gotten better near the end, but that would only bring the rating up to a two, so rating changed.

Most Recent Post:

JoeHardyRocks

Quote from: Dinosaur Dan on November 02, 2008, 07:18:50 PM
I played Danger By Design for an hour before giving up. It is so boring! All you is make tea and go shopping! I can do all that in the real world. Oh and here's the best part: I haven't even gotten to the clue finding yet! I haven't done anything yet but virtual chores!

Why, if I wanted to do chores I could have done them in the real world, not in some place that dosen't even look like Paris! Where's the Effel Tower? Where's the art musems? This game could have tooken place in London, for all I know! Oh and there is some sort of problem, cause now I can't read waht the characters ARE SAYING!

Creature Of Kupu Cave stinks as well! I'm spending hours gathering insect poop and finding shells. In fact, I even have to find out someone's favorite ICE CREAM FLAVOR! I thought the Nancy Drew game were supposed to be good! Instead I'm stuck making tea and finding Insect Poop! AHHHHHHHHHH!  >:( >:( >:(

I may get a few other Nancy Drew games for chistmas, I hope it's better then the shovelware I already have!  >:( >:( >:( >:(

Quote from: Dinosaur Dan on May 27, 2009, 11:01:14 AM
Correct, then it should be put in the fire place and burned! I could not make it through the second chapter!
about Murder House

Quote from: Dinosaur Dan on October 03, 2009, 04:41:41 PM
Haunted was not scary at all, unless a lot of talking terrifies you. I could not finnish the book, because I was so annoyed when they called a Frank chapter a Joe chapter! How could the editor not notice that!? It took forever for something interesting to happen. By then I had lost all interest in the book. I will finnish it sometime soon, but somethings telling me I will not like the ending, and the book will get an even lower rating.
Rating

And the last one..... If you want, I can actually look up your reviews for all these books: :P

Quote from: Dinosaur Dan on June 05, 2009, 09:53:00 AM
If I can't finish a Hardy boys book, that almost always means I REALLY hated it. Plus, I read half of a plot summery, and desided I had better things to do then keep on reading the book. I may finnish it another day, but I have other things to do.  I even finished Survival of the fittest, and I hated that book! There are only a few books I never finished:
-The Haunted Fort (Bluespine)
-Running On Fumes (UB)
-Murder House trilogy (UB)
-Haunted (UB, stopped half way in)
-High Survival (SM)
-The Artic Petrol Mystery (Bluespine)

"Thank you, Joe."

Bigfootman

Quote from: JoeHardyRocks on February 18, 2011, 05:53:32 PM
about Murder House

And the last one..... If you want, I can actually look up your reviews for all those books. :P

Those arn't reviews, it didn't give a rating at the end. A review has a rating at the end. Except for Haunted, which means you've only shown me two times I reviewed something without finishing it. That's nowhere near "a lot".

Most Recent Post:

JoeHardyRocks

I realise those aren't your reviews, I said I could look up the reviews you posted about those books though. Those were the books you haven't finished.

Quote from: Dinosaur Dan on February 18, 2011, 06:01:08 PM
Those arn't reviews, it didn't give a rating at the end. A review has a rating at the end. Except for Haunted, which means you've only shown me two times I reviewed something without finishing it. That's nowhere near "a lot".

FYI there were 3. Actually, 4, counting the review for the episode.
"Thank you, Joe."

Bigfootman

Quote from: JoeHardyRocks on February 18, 2011, 06:04:08 PM
I realise those aren't your reviews, I said I could look up the revies you posted about those books though. Those are the books you haven't finished.

FYI there were 3.

Show me the third, because I only see two, "Play Ball", and "Haunted". I could easily be wrong, as I don't remember every review I've written. Also, I did finish High Survival a few months after I wrote the post that you quoted.

Most Recent Post:

JoeHardyRocks

The Nancy Drew games. You posted your opinions, it doesn't have to have a 1-10 rating to be a review.

Definition of review: "A critical article or report."
"Thank you, Joe."

Bigfootman

Ok, but 4 still isn't "a lot".
definition of a lot: "a lot: Very many, a large number; also, very much."
4 is not a large number, it's not even in the double digits. 

Most Recent Post:

JoeHardyRocks

I could find those other 5 book reviews if you want. :)

4 could be a lot- 4 ignorant reviews. Ignorant because you don't actually know what you're talking about, seeing as you haven't actually read, watched, or played whatever you're reviewing
"Thank you, Joe."

Bigfootman

Quote from: JoeHardyRocks on February 18, 2011, 06:30:53 PM
I could find those other 5 book reviews if you want. :)

4 could be a lot- 4 ignorant reviews. Ignorant because you don't actually know what you're talking about, seeing as you haven't actually read, watched, or played whatever you're reviewing

I did read the things I reviewed, I didn't finnish them. Not reading a book, and not finnishing it are two diffrent things. The same with playing and watching. I played the two games, and watched the episode, but I didn't finnish it. Unless you are using your own definition of "read" "watched" and "played", because the dictionary definitions say nothing about finishing anything.  :)

Most Recent Post:

JoeHardyRocks

If you watched the opening credits of, say, Harry Potter, then left, would you tell somebody that you watched that movie? If you started walking to a city that was 20 miles away, and you walked 2 miles, would you tell somebody that you'd been to that city? If you watched the opening sequence of a video game, would you say that you played it? And then, to the original point, if you read two chapters of a book that is around 15 chapters, would you say that you read it?  I think not. Oh, unless of course you are using your own definitions of "Watched," "Played," and "Read." :)
"Thank you, Joe."

Bigfootman

Quote from: JoeHardyRocks on February 18, 2011, 08:00:19 PM
If you watched the opening credits of, say, Harry Potter, then left, would you tell somebody that you watched that movie? If you started walking to a city that was 20 miles away, and you walked 2 miles, would you tell somebody that you'd been to that city? If you watched the opening sequence of a video game, would you say that you played it? And then, to the original point, if you read two chapters of a book that is around 15 chapters, would you say that you read it?  I think not. Oh, unless of course you are using your own definitions of "Watched," "Played," and "Read." :)
I see you are too. I didn't read two chapter, watch the opening credits, or watched the opening sqence of the games I reviewed. I did way more then that. Half the episode, half of Haunted, and I spent several days trieing to beat the video games.  I'd calll that "read" "watched" and "played". If you walked through half of city, would you say you've been to that city? Or do you have to go into every part of the city?

Show me a definition of those three words that says that you have to finish something to read, watch, or play it.   Unless, of course, you are using your  own definitions of these three words, in that case, i'll use my own definition of review. And in my definition, a review must have a rating, therefore, the Nancy Drew Games don't count.  :)

Most Recent Post:

JoeHardyRocks

If you saw half of a painting, would you tell people you knew what it looked like? And again, a review is a critical article or report. Just because you're using "your definition" doesn't make you right.

Wat ha a epis, o rea ha a bo, o pla ha a ga, i sti no eno t ma a fa asses o somet. Doi on ha wo gi yo a cle id o anyt.

Highlight below.

Watching half an episode, or reading half a book, or playing half a game, is still not enough to make a fair assesment of something. Doing only half won't give you a clear idea of anything.
"Thank you, Joe."