December 2011 Book Club - #147 Trial and Terror

Started by tomswift2002, December 11, 2011, 08:44:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomswift2002

Trial and Terror
Published December 1997

Post your thoughts and comments on this Hardy Boys Christmas adventure here.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

Christmas adventure? Okay- didn't realize it was set at Christmas. I will have to dig it out and give it a quick reread through before I can comment further- but that right there got me interested. It's been quite a while since I first read this one, but I do recall liking it pretty well at the time.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

tomswift2002

I was just reading page 19 at work, and I noticed that at the top of the page the book (which is only 14 years old this month) dates itself by having Frank see the Twin Towers of the World Trade Center in his rear view mirror.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 

MacGyver

Yeah- wow, now that just serves as a sad reminder of recent history... :'(
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

tomswift2002

I was reading more of the book today, and I was amazed at just how mature Frank and Joe are in this book at the ages of 18 & 17, respectively.  No one seems to be saying that the boys are just kids, and being a court PI should be left to adults.  That's something that you just don't see in the UB's and it's something tha t the UB's were sorely lacking.

tomswift2002

I finished the book last night and I would have to give the story a 7.5 out of 10.  It's too bad we didn't get any scenes in Bayport (since the boys went there), but it was nice to see that even in the middle of a case Frank had time to pick up a ring for Callie for Christmas.

MacGyver

Well, even with their busy schedules of going to school (sometimes) and participating in school sporting events (track and football and basketball and soccer and baseball and probably others at times) and solving mysteries throughout the year (mainly on weekends and holidays and vacations, etc.) - Frank and Joe Hardy still manage to make time for their girlfriends and other friends and family.  :) 8)
And yes- that's good to see that Frank got a ring for Callie for Christmas. Does the book mention if Joe got anything for Iola?

tomswift2002

The book doesn't say, just that Joe mentions they'll still have time for Christmas shopping after the case is over (since the case only takes from midday on Monday till Wdnesday evening in a single week of December).