Nancy Drew Together With the Hardys!

Started by hardygirl847, August 01, 2011, 07:20:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hardygirl847

Hi friends,

I know I've been a stranger but it's just because I've been super busy. BUT I had to stop by and tell you that I read the new ND graphic novel...Together With the Hardys!

And I'm a little....underwhelmed.

I was SO excited to get my copy before it technically comes out but I was a little disappointed. I won't give away too much because that would just be mean, but I do want to read what you all thought of it.

Once more people have read it, I can be more specific with my feelings towards this. It's definitely still worth having and the end of this storyline...but I felt it could have been done better. Or differently...Maybe I'm not familiar enough with ND to really enjoy it fully.

I dunno...like I said...we can discuss it more once you've all read your copies. :)

Happy reading!!

I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

MacGyver

That's cool, hardygirl847- I know life gets busy and crazy sometimes. I have already hit the Barnes & Noble to check for this book and haven't found it yet- I will hit up Books-A-Million later today when I get a chance. Hopefully I can find it soon otherwise I'll probably be ordering it from Amazon.com
But yeah- I'm excited to see Nancy Drew together with the Hardy Boys in the graphic novel series and to see how this storyline wraps up.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

MacGyver

Finally just had to order this title from Amazon.com and even though it was from a bookstore in my own state that's probably about maybe a 2 hour drive from me (if that)- it still took about a week to get to me! I guess I was thinking they could just drive over and hand deliver it to me- but it's gotta go to the shipping company and they've got drive it around to some sort of checkin in another state and whatever...
oh well- I finally got it today and I am excited to give it a read finally! I will post some thoughts on it later.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

MacGyver

Well, I read Together with The Hardy Boys last night and I must say I really enjoyed it. I think they did a good job of wrapping up the storyline and resolving things both for Nancy Drew and The Hardy Boys. I want to be careful not to put any spoilers out here, but I will say I can understand hardygirl847's disappointment. I tend to think production schedules and time and space constraints may have all had a role in that- and with so many other things on Papercutz's plate, maybe they just needed to quickly finish it up. The ending did seem rushed like it could have stretched out longer, but it got the job done. I do like how Nancy Drew includes some philosophical musings along with solving the mystery. That's a nice inclusion and I like the part where she addressed the Hardy Boys' issues and the one with her and Ned at the same time. It was definitely needed as things had gotten to a crazy crescendo at the cable car scene. And nice to have Carson Drew get a cameo at the end too. And I do think it was neat that Bess had pegged Joe as her possible romantic interest, in keeping both with the '70s TV show and the '88 Supermystery series.
     One thing I noticed is that they didn't really seem to play up the Nancy/Frank thing like on the TV show and Supermystery books...maybe because Ned was there and Nancy was focused on trying to get back with him.
      Anyway, it was an enjoyable read overall with some good action moments and a nice twist as to the mystery villian, which fit well with the theme of all 5 of these last Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys graphic novels. And considering that this may well be the last graphic novel we see for either Nancy Drew or The Hardy Boys for a while, it's nice to have this storyline wrapped up. It was something different that we hadn't seen too much of before (Frank and Joe really at odds with each other for an extended time) and of course, a comic book milestone with Nancy Drew meeting The Hardy Boys in the comics! :)  [Also, I noted that it was shown that Frank and Joe already knew Nancy Drew and they were already friends- so they didn't have to establish this as their first meeting or anything. I guess that works well since they've already crossed paths in the UB/GD Supermystery books, the '90s TV show, the '88 Supermystery books, the Be A Detective books, the '70s TV show, and the Camp Fire and Super Sleuth books. Although all these crossovers make me wonder- would any of those meetings be called the first meeting of Nancy Drew and The Hardy Boys? I'm pretty sure The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew Meet Dracula 2-parter was presented as their first meeting on the TV show. But I don't think any of the books ever present a story as their very first meeting- rather that they were already friends. That might be an idea the graphic novel could explore in the future or maybe in the books- the very first meeting for these teenage sleuth icons and the first mystery they solved together. A good idea for fanfiction if nothing else. :) 8)]

tomswift2002

Terror On Tour presents the first meeting between the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew in the UB continuity. 

As far as the Casefiles go, in Dangerous Crossing the author has Nancy mention how she had first met the boys about a year before the story when she was at Bayport High for a semester studying in another state (sort of like a high school student from the US or Canada studying abroad in England or Germany for a semester or two, but then returning home, but for Nancy it was just studying in New York State instead of Ohio).

And the Original Continuity crossovers don't really say, but considering that Grosset & Dunlap did print a novelization of The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew Meet Dracula the writers of those crossovers might've just considered that TV episode to be the first time that the boys and Nancy met up.

Quote from: MacGyver on August 27, 2011, 03:38:09 PM
  [Also, I noted that it was shown the Frank and Joe already knew Nancy Drew and they were already friends- so they didn't have to establish this as their first meeting or anything. I guess that works well since they've already crossed paths in the UB/GD Supermystery books, the '90s TV show, the '88 Supermystery books, the Be A Detective books, the '70s TV show, and the Camp Fire and Super Sleuth books. Although all these crossovers make me wonder- would any of those meetings be called the first meeting of Nancy Drew and The Hardy Boys? I'm pretty sure The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew Meet Dracula 2-parter was presented as their first meeting on the TV show. But I don't think any of the books ever present a story as their very first meeting- rather that they were already friends. That might be an idea the graphic novel could explore in the future or maybe in the books- the very first meeting for these teenage sleuth icons and the first mystery they solved together. A good idea for fanfiction if nothing else. :) 8)]
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

QuoteAnd the Original Continuity crossovers don't really say, but considering that Grosset & Dunlap did print a novelization of The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew Meet Dracula the writers of those crossovers might've just considered that TV episode to be the first time that the boys and Nancy met up.
I guess so since that TV show episode came before any of the meetings in print.

SDLagent

Yeah, Terror on Tour shows how Nancy and the Hardys first meet in UB continuity.

hardygirl847

Thanks Mac for having a review!

I'm glad you could also see where I was coming from.

I definitely think it was worth doing but I think it could have been done better.
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

MacGyver