In trouble with the law

Started by Hardy Boys UB Fan, April 26, 2011, 07:12:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Someone posted this on the HDA and I thought I'd post it here:http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=15305614
Maybe this is why we never hear about Frank and Joe accepting money for their work... Anyway, I thought it was interesting.   

MacGyver

Wow- interesting link. And yes- a good point. Exactly a reason why Frank and Joe would never accept money for their services. They are after all, amateur detectives, (just ones with an incredibly great track record!) :)
Plus, I think they also turn down such offers because they don't feel right taking money for something that they would do for free anyway. And when they do wind up getting rewards, they use some for fixing up their van or their crime lab (the end of The Tower Treasure (revised edition) is coming to mind.) But they also give a lot of it away. (see the end of The Short-Wave Mystery [again- revised edition].)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: MacGyver on April 26, 2011, 07:22:38 PM
Wow- interesting link. And yes- a good point. Exactly a reason why Frank and Joe would never accept money for their services. They are after all, amateur detectives, (just ones with an incredibly great track record!) :)
Plus, I think they also turn down such offers because they don't feel right taking money for something that they would do for free anyway. And when they do wind up getting rewards, they use some for fixing up their van or their crime lab (the end of The Tower Treasure (revised edition) is coming to mind.) But they also give a lot of it away. (see the end of The Short-Wave Mystery [again- revised edition].)

In the link, it said they were under 21 not old enough to get a PI licence, but why can't people under 21 be PI's? ??? I think it'd be fine with me! ;D 8)

MacGyver

I'm sure Encyclopedia Brown and The Three Investigators and The Secret Seven and The Famous Five would all agree with you heartily. :D 8)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: MacGyver on April 26, 2011, 07:27:00 PM
I'm sure Encyclopedia Brown and The Three Investigators and The Secret Seven and The Famous Five would all agree with you heartily. :D 8)

Who are they? ??? Like the Hardy Boys?

SDLagent

Those are all children's book series about young detectives. And the former two are American and the latter two are British.

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: SDLagent on April 27, 2011, 01:58:49 AM
Those are all children's book series about young detectives. And the former two are American and the latter two are British.

At least I know who Alex Rider is!

MacGyver

QuoteThose are all children's book series about young detectives. And the former two are American and the latter two are British.
Yep- those are some of my favorites. And I can't believe I forgot The Bobbsey Twins! :)

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: MacGyver on April 27, 2011, 01:23:36 PM
Yep- those are some of my favorites. And I can't believe I forgot The Bobbsey Twins! :)

They're not detectives, are they? ???

MacGyver

Of course they are. :D
(Okay- it's true that in some of the earliest stories they weren't really solving mysteries, per se- but just having little adventures. However, as the series progressed, they did take on more mysteries and are like the junior versions of The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew. In fact, that's pretty much how they were marketed in the 1980s and '90s - for the younger brothers and sisters who wanted to read The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew but weren't quite on that reading level yet.
I mainly like The New Bobbsey Twins series, but they're all fun. (http://roomofbensown.net/hbnd/nbt/)
I read The Bobbsey Twins in the Country as a kid- my mom had some of the Whitman books from the '60s that she enjoyed as a kid. :)
And those books are still fun to read too. 8)

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: MacGyver on April 28, 2011, 03:48:53 PM
Of course they are. :D
(Okay- it's true that in some of the earliest stories they weren't really solving mysteries, per se- but just having little adventures. However, as the series progressed, they did take on more mysteries and are like the junior versions of The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew. In fact, that's pretty much how they were marketed in the 1980s and '90s - for the younger brothers and sisters who wanted to read The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew but weren't quite on that reading level yet.
I mainly like The New Bobbsey Twins series, but they're all fun. (http://roomofbensown.net/hbnd/nbt/)
I read The Bobbsey Twins in the Country as a kid- my mom had some of the Whitman books from the '60s that she enjoyed as a kid. :)
And those books are still fun to read too. 8)

There was also the Box Car Children, too. As well as Alex Rider and CHERUB. ;D

MacGyver

True- The Boxcar Children did mystery-solving as well. I've honestly never really read this series though, so my knowledge of Gertrude Chandler Warner's characters is limited.

Hardy Boys UB Fan

The Alex Rider and CHERUB series are more spy, then detective, I think. :-\

MacGyver

Alex Rider definitely is- I'm not really familiar with CHERUB