Children of the Lost

Started by SDLagent, May 08, 2010, 07:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hardygirl847

Quote from: SDLagent on May 28, 2010, 12:10:06 AM
Yeah, after Nancy was missing for a month, the Hardy boys finally went looking for her and found her in an afternoon. Couldn't you have spared a few hours of your precious time sooner, boys?

Quote from: tomswift2002 on May 29, 2010, 10:42:50 AM
Actually she had been missing for six months before the Hardy Boys started looking for her.

LOL yeah for real. I guess the only way to get around that is that they didn't know before then. Or did they? I can't remember at the moment.

Quote from: SDLagent on May 29, 2010, 07:30:31 PM
"Thanks for finding the time to save me, boys. I know you're busy."

:) Gotta love some of these lines. Makes her sound like she's not their friend enough for them to drop everything and find her. Frank and Nancy always had a chemistry in the tv show that eluded to romance but they wouldn't help find her when she was presumed dead?? Yeah....I don't think so.

Quote from: tomswift2002 on May 30, 2010, 01:37:34 PM
And in the same episode you really got the feeling the Fenton Hardy and Carson Drew had met previously and were the best of friends.

I actually like that they seemed like old friends because to me that makes sense. Not sure why...given I don't know much about Carson or Nancy...but they have somewhat of a kindred spirit thing going on. I don't know. :)

Back to the child abduction thing though...

The Hardys have faced a lot of difficult things in all of their series but child abduction is one that they don't tackle too often. I think the writers do that on purpose. It's a rough subject and more "touchy". Plus, with a child/young audience, it would be too close to home. That's my theory anyways....

I guess I will have to order this trilogy because it is not at the store. :(
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

SDLagent

Quote from: hardygirl847 on June 02, 2010, 07:18:51 PM
The Hardys have faced a lot of difficult things in all of their series but child abduction is one that they don't tackle too often. I think the writers do that on purpose. It's a rough subject and more "touchy". Plus, with a child/young audience, it would be too close to home. That's my theory anyways....

Pretty much what I was thinking. I know I would have been freaked out by a story like this when I was younger.

hardygirl847

Yeah...as an adult I don't like hearing about that either. It's definitely too taboo for the Hardys universe.
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

MacGyver

But this topic is in a current Hardy Boys book aimed at children- surely they must be handling this topic in a very tactful and careful way, hopefully. Though to be honest, sadly- this is probably something kids today are more used to hearing about in the news- if not in the newspaper or on TV- then through their Twitter feeds, Facebook links or online somewhere, etc.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

tomswift2002

Quote from: hardygirl847 on June 02, 2010, 07:18:51 PM
LOL yeah for real. I guess the only way to get around that is that they didn't know before then. Or did they? I can't remember at the moment.

No they knew about Nancy's disappearance from day 1.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

hardygirl847

Quote from: MacGyver on June 03, 2010, 06:03:30 PM
But this topic is in a current Hardy Boys book aimed at children- surely they must be handling this topic in a very tactful and careful way, hopefully. Though to be honest, sadly- this is probably something kids today are more used to hearing about in the news- if not in the newspaper or on TV- then through their Twitter feeds, Facebook links or online somewhere, etc.

Just because we hear about it all the time doesn't mean it should be a topic in a children's book. I understand your point and share your views that it is a very sad thing. Children today are exposed to way more than they should be at their age.

Quote from: tomswift2002 on June 03, 2010, 07:32:34 PM
No they knew about Nancy's disappearance from day 1.

Oh dear! Well...I didn't write this episode so who knows? lol

MacGyver

QuoteJust because we hear about it all the time doesn't mean it should be a topic in a children's book.
Oh, I definitely agree- I certainly wasn't arguing that it needed to be the topic for a children's book. There's lots of junk out there in the world and we definitely don't need kids reading about it in books aimed at their age level.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

hardygirl847

I know MacGyver :) I was "just saying" my statement in general too. I work with kids and it amazes me how much they know at 10. I'm talking things I didn't know until middle school or high school. We had a talk about taxes or something one day in third grade and  someone had a very mature opinion about it. Taxes are not child abduction but still something a kid shouldn't have to worry about. Some of them seem to understand more of the world around them...and the harsh realities. Can't they just be kids??!!!

As far as the book is concerned, I intend on reading it once  I get it from Amazon.

hardycats

I kind of think its the CIA, whos kidnaping the kids to try different experiments on their developmental growth, which might be why justin has those odd behaviors.
I doubt thats what it really is though
Although i think whoevers doing it, are releasing the bears a few days before they strike for some reason (maybe to have it pass as a bear attack)

Thats my speculation
8)

JoeHardyRocks

I just kinda loved this one! I mean, I thought it was better than, like, the last "mystery" they had.
"Hey! Don't do that here. You'll mess up my bedspread."
Rolling his eyes, Joe sat on the window sill and started sawing.
"Thank you, Joe."
"You're welcome, Martha Stewart."

SDLagent

Quote from: JoeHardyRocks on September 30, 2010, 06:11:53 PM
I just kinda loved this one! I mean, I thought it was better than, like, the last "mystery" they had.

True that.

tomswift2002

I just received an email from Chapters-Indigo today saying that my copy of Book 2 of the Lost Trilogy has shipped.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 

JoeHardyRocks

For once my library got a book the day it came out!! But alas, I did not reserve my copy of Lost Brother, so now I'm number 4 on their cruel waiting list  >:( :( :P
"Hey! Don't do that here. You'll mess up my bedspread."
Rolling his eyes, Joe sat on the window sill and started sawing.
"Thank you, Joe."
"You're welcome, Martha Stewart."

tomswift2002

I just started to read The Children Of The Lost, and I must say that the editor's must've been sleeping on the job when they edited this book, since I've found a few rather weird sentences, such as one in Chapter 1 where Joe says "I startled."  What type of grammar is "I startled."? 

But, then I couldn't help but laugh when Frank says that it was "rare" for ATAC to need them so quickly after one case for another one.  Oh----REALLY?  Let's see, just about every UB book since 2005 has had the Hardy's getting their next case within 24 hours of finishing the case from "Chapter 1". 

And then when Corrine asked Frank what he had done in school that week, okay that was absolutely senseless and meaningless, since both Frank and Joe had "apparently" been in New York.  I would've thought that Corrine would've asked Frank "So...where were the two of you this week?", or mentioned something about all the times that the boys are absent from school.

tomswift2002

I finished Children of The Lost a few days ago---and really I have no inclination to pick up Lost Brother and continue on in the story.  Sure the book didn't end with one suspect being arrested and the author having to think of a contrivance to continue the story, like all the other trilogies have ended in their first book, but the author made the book end on an overused cliff-hanger in the Undercover Brothers series---murder. 

Plus, as I've mentioned in the past, with Children of the Lost I found that Frank and Joe  have become very stagnant characters in this series in comparison to their counterparts from the Original Continuity and the Casefiles continuity.  When I recently read The Borderline Case, even though I hadn't read the Casefiles in order in over a decade and I hadn't read the Casefiles in order before the book, I found that the Frank and Joe in that book had a history with crime fighting that you didn't need to read any other books to know that Frank and Joe had solved other cases by themselves and with the Network and the boys knew how to handle the situation in a way that showed that they were mature enough to be on the mission, but at the same time they still had that vulnerability about them because they were teenagers (who couldn't age).  The Frank and Joe of the Casefiles and Original Continuity had a 3-dimensionality about them that is not evident in the Undercover Brothers Frank and Joe.

In The Children Of The Lost, sure I had not read an Undercover Brothers book completely since March of 2010,  I found that the Frank and Joe who were presenting themselves too me were very 1-dimensional and could easily be replaced with another character who had a different name.  These Hardy Boys were very timid and almost scaredy cats who seemed to have very little knowledge about investigating anything, and were more interested in being "journalists" that are along for the ride in order to tell a story, and nothing more.  And with the books written in the first-person you exepect to have a more personal story about the boys, but I really felt like I was watching a play behind a theater curtain, where when it was lit you could see right through it, but when the lights are turned off it's just another curtain.  And the Frank and Joe that were presented seemed to be the type of tertiary character where you are maybe given enough information to learn that they have a wife or husband, but once the character leaves the scene,  that's it for that character. 

Rating for The Children Of The Lost: 4 out of 10.