Children of the Lost

Started by SDLagent, May 08, 2010, 07:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SDLagent

This title sounded promising when it was reveled on the Internet a few months back, and, so far, after two chapters, Children of the Lost's still got promise. While not best writing I've ever read, the story's been an enjoyable read. And that's saying a lot coming from me considering I haven't been able to read a book in this Undercover Brothers series since Double Trouble, which came out almost two years ago.

Overall, this story just seems more like a classic Hardy Boys adventure, with good team-work from the brothers, and a good old fashion mystery that (*gasp*) doesn't involve reality television or teen celebrities! Also, third person narrative helps add to the classic Hardy feel. Yes, third person narrative. The prelude of the story is told in third person, something we've only seen in Wanted. This and the fact that this book is over 180 pages long make me wonder if this wasn't originally going to be a Super Mystery...

Since (strangely) I don't think it's been posted on Amazon, yet, I'll post the back cover summary, here.
QuoteMISSION: To investigate the disappearances of eight children, all taken from their campsites in the same location.
POTENTIAL VICTIMS: Anyone who dares set foot in Misty Falls State Park - particularly children.
SUSPECTS: The disappearance of the children have been dismissed as animal attacks - but ATAC and the Hardy Boys know better.

Hopefully this story end as well as it started. I wouldn't bet on it, though. This is the Undercover Brothers after all.

tomswift2002

Quote from: SDLagent on May 08, 2010, 07:28:36 PM
The prelude of the story is told in third person, something we've only seen in Wanted. This and the fact that this book is over 180 pages long make me wonder if this wasn't originally going to be a Super Mystery...

Over on another Hardy Boys forum Paul Mular was noting how the first book seems to have a text copyright date of 2009 (assuming that it was not a simple typo/printing error on the copyright page), while the 2 UB books already released this year had 2010 text copyright dates. 

But if it was suppose to be a one-shot Super Mystery book that S&S has decided to stretch over 3 books, then the next two are probably going to be weak.

But speaking of the next 2, we won't be seeing those till October 12 and January 4, respectively.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

SDLagent

I read another chapter of Children of the Lost, today, and I'm pretty surprised by the subject matter. Eight children have gone missing, never to be heard from again, except for one boy who returned years later with no memory and a girl who's bones were fond. That's pretty mature. Even for the Casefiles.

Have the Hardy boys ever solved a child abduction case? I can't remember any stories involving this (other than A Hardy Day's Night) but Joe seems to think they have...
QuoteFrank and I had worked on missing child cases before, and we knew that it wasn't unusual for couples to split up after losing a child.

Quote from: tomswift2002 on May 09, 2010, 02:58:08 PMBut if it was suppose to be a one-shot Super Mystery book that S&S has decided to stretch over 3 books, then the next two are probably going to be weak.

I was wondering about this, too. That's interesting about the copyright date.

4567TME

Wow, pretty long book, good old-fashioned cliffhanger ending, and tasteful writing give it a:

"Excellent"

MacGyver

QuoteHave the Hardy boys ever solved a child abduction case? I can't remember any stories involving this (other than A Hardy Day's Night) but Joe seems to think they have...
The Hardy Boys have solved abduction cases certainly. "The Masked Monkey" is one example I can think of offhand. The main plot of "Panic on Gull Island" is about rescuing Iola after she's been kidnapped. Also, Biff and Chet are kidnapped in "The Missing Chums".
In the Casefiles, I would think "Cult of Crime" would also classify in this category.
I guess it depends on how strictly you're talking as far as child abduction cases go. I realize in these examples here the kidnap victims are actually teenagers and not really children as such. Perhaps there's other books I'm not thinking of though...
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

tomswift2002

Quote from: MacGyver on May 16, 2010, 03:04:21 PM
I realize in these examples here the kidnap victims are actually teenagers and not really children as such. Perhaps there's other books I'm not thinking of though...

Casefiles #12 Perfect Getaway also featured an abduction, but that was of a friends father.

Casefiles #42 The Last Laugh also featured the fake abduction of that comic book author.

I can't think of any child abductions that the Hardy's have solved.  But you are talking about reviewing 83 years of cases.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 

SDLagent

Quote from: tomswift2002 on May 17, 2010, 05:19:22 PMI can't think of any child abductions that the Hardy's have solved.  But you are talking about reviewing 83 years of cases.

Exactly. I can't think of any, either...

Bigfootman

"Winner Take All" is the only casefile I can think of that had a child abduction, mind you though, the "child" in question was 14 years old.

On the other hand, Nancy Drew has rescued abducted children in quite a few books; The Triple Hoax, The Search For Cindy Austin, Fatal Ransom,  Squeeze Play, and Stolen Affections. Mind you though, the Hardy Boys don't appear in any of those books.

http://bigfootmanshardyboysandnancydrew.blogspot.ca

Most Recent Post:
"Tom Swift Inventors' Academy" Cancelled?

tomswift2002

Quote from: Dinosaur Dan on May 24, 2010, 09:16:42 AM

On the other hand, Nancy Drew has rescued abducted children in quite a few books; The Triple Hoax, The Search For Cindy Austin, Fatal Ransom,  Squeeze Play, and Stolen Affections. Mind you though, the Hardy Boys don't appear in any of those books.

That reminds me of Arson And Old Lace from the 1977-1978 TV season of The Hardy Boys Nancy Drew Mysteries where the Hardy Boys have to find Nancy Drew six months after she was abducted

And then there was the Hardy Boys episode Telling Lies from the 1995 TV series where the Hardy's have to find a boy who is only 6 or 8 years old after the boy found the loot from an old bank robbery.  (I just remembered this was a subplot off of the main plot of the episode.)

MacGyver

QuoteThat reminds me of Arson And Old Lace from the 1977-1978 TV season of The Hardy Boys Nancy Drew Mysteries where the Hardy Boys have to find Nancy Drew six months after she was abducted. 

And then there was the Hardy Boys episode Telling Lies from the 1995 TV series where the Hardy's have to find a boy who is only 6 or 8 years old after the boy found the loot from an old bank robbery.  (I just remembered this was a subplot off of the main plot of the episode.)
That's true- The Hardy Boys have dealt with kidnappings on some of their TV shows. I think the "Arson and Old Lace" episode in particular was supposed to be really dramatic (considering Mr. Drew had conceded that Nancy must be dead by that point)- but I think they wound up leaving fans incredulous that Nancy Drew could remain prisoner for that long without escaping or being rescued. Oh well- I still like it for what it is.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

tomswift2002

Quote from: MacGyver on May 24, 2010, 04:22:40 PM
That's true- The Hardy Boys have dealt with kidnappings on some of their TV shows. I think the "Arson and Old Lace" episode in particular was supposed to be really dramatic (considering Mr. Drew had conceded that Nancy must be dead by that point)- but I think they wound up leaving fans incredulous that Nancy Drew could remain prisoner for that long without escaping or being rescued. Oh well- I still like it for what it is.

Plus I think it would've been a lot better had that story been a season long arc, since the episode really feels like we've just come in for the last showdown and have not seen the full story.

SDLagent

Quote from: tomswift2002 on May 26, 2010, 02:36:12 PM
Plus I think it would've been a lot better had that story been a season long arc, since the episode really feels like we've just come in for the last showdown and have not seen the full story.

Yeah, after Nancy was missing for a month, the Hardy boys finally went looking for her and found her in an afternoon. Couldn't you have spared a few hours of your precious time sooner, boys?

tomswift2002

Quote from: SDLagent on May 28, 2010, 12:10:06 AM
Yeah, after Nancy was missing for a month,

Actually she had been missing for six months before the Hardy Boys started looking for her.

SDLagent

"Thanks for finding the time to save me, boys. I know you're busy."

tomswift2002

And in the same episode you really got the feeling the Fenton Hardy and Carson Drew had met previously and were the best of friends.