The Hardy Boys Survival Handbook

Started by MacGyver, May 18, 2012, 03:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacGyver

Anyone else have this great spinoff title from the Original Series? I've got the British Collins hardback edition of this book and I love it. I've read it a number of times. I remember attempting to assemble my own survival kit as a kid using this book as a guide. :)
The short stories are fun mini adventures of The Hardy Boys to read- and they also do a good job of illustrating the main survival skills the chapter was focusing on. I don't seem to see this one pop up at used bookstores or anything, but I'm sure you can track it down somewhere online.
        Anyway, I ran across this cool portrait version of the US Grossett & Dunlap release cover art for The Hardy Boys Survival Handbook :) 8)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Hardy Sleuth

I don't have this one...yet, but I definitely want it! ;D It's already on my list of ones I'd like to find/have. Looks and sounds exciting and awesome! 8) That cover art is very cool!!!!!! 8)
Joe Hardy said "Iola is alive, I can feel it. I couldn't feel this strongly about someone who was dead."

"Then I won't tell you to give up hope," Frank said softly. 8)

tomswift2002

The Survival Handbook wasn't out for all that long.  From what I've found it only had maybe 1 print run in both hardcover with dustjacket and paperback editions.  Most of the dustjacket copies seem to have been purchased by libraries.  The Survival Handbook is probably the scarcest Hardy Boys book ever (aside from errors).
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

AlwaysAJoefan

Quote from: MacGyver on May 18, 2012, 03:43:14 PM
Anyone else have this great spinoff title from the Original Series? I've got the British Collins hardback edition of this book and I love it. I've read it a number of times. I remember attempting to assemble my own survival kit as a kid using this book as a guide. :)
The short stories are fun mini adventures of The Hardy Boys to read- and they also do a good job of illustrating the main survival skills the chapter was focusing on. I don't seem to see this one pop up at used bookstores or anything, but I'm sure you can track it down somewhere online.
        Anyway, I ran across this cool portrait version of the US Grossett & Dunlap release cover art for The Hardy Boys Survival Handbook :) 8)

I love that book. ;D
Want to cure this country? Try 2 Chronicles 7:14...

MacGyver

Wow- didn't realize it was that scarce. Thanks for the info, TomSwift2002.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Hardy Sleuth

What are the titles of the individual seven stories of survival? :)
Joe Hardy said "Iola is alive, I can feel it. I couldn't feel this strongly about someone who was dead."

tomswift2002

Check out the article for the book at the Hardy Boys Wiki since all 8 stories are listed there (the 8th story is an intro story just explaining what should be in a survival kit).
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 

Hardy Sleuth

Quote from: Tomswift2002 on May 21, 2012, 05:43:16 AM
Check out the article for the book at the Hardy Boys Wiki since all 8 stories are listed there (the 8th story is an intro story just explaining what should be in a survival kit).

Thanks. :) The individual story titles for The Hardy Boys Handbook will give me some clues to the stories until I get to read them.  8) And cool, a bonus eighth story! ;D

tomswift2002

The eighth story just takes place at the Hardy's home while they are packing their survival gear.

Hardy Sleuth

Quote from: Tomswift2002 on May 22, 2012, 08:48:03 PM
The eighth story just takes place at the Hardy's home while they are packing their survival gear.

That should be fun to read, too! 8)

AlwaysAJoefan

Took some time this morning and took some pics of the pages from the Handbook. Here is chapter 1. I'll upload chapter 2 when I get a chance. :)

MacGyver

That's cool that you have a copy- I looked around some on Amazon.com and it seems like this title can be fairly expensive... I take it this is the American Grossett & Dunlap release you have?

AlwaysAJoefan

Quote from: MacGyver on May 25, 2012, 01:08:21 PM
That's cool that you have a copy- I looked around some on Amazon.com and it seems like this title can be fairly expensive... I take it this is the American Grossett & Dunlap release you have?

It says it's made by Wanderer.

MacGyver

Yeah- that's the one I was talking about. Wanderer is the imprint, but Simon & Schuster is the publisher. That's what I should have said earlier- the book was released in 1980, so S&S would have had control of the series at that point. (Grossett & Dunlap lost the rights to them in a court battle in 1979.)

AlwaysAJoefan

Quote from: MacGyver on May 25, 2012, 01:43:40 PM
Yeah- that's the one I was talking about. Wanderer is the imprint, but Simon & Schuster is the publisher. That's what I should have said earlier- the book was released in 1980, so S&S would have had control of the series at that point. (Grossett & Dunlap lost the rights to them in a court battle in 1979.)

Okay. :) I get confused sometimes. lol