The Hardy Boys #80 The Roaring River Mystery

Started by tomswift2002, February 27, 2009, 06:54:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomswift2002

The Hardy Boys #80 The Roaring River Mystery
Published in 1984
Published by Wanderer Books (1984) and Minstrel Books (1987?)

Plot: While the Hardys are out on Lake Algonquin canoeing around, they witness another canoer get ambushed by a bunch of masked men who try to steal the canoer's life jacket.  Why do the unknown men want the life jacket? 

Then, after the boys get back to Bayport with the canoer, Ollie Fernandez, who was attacked on the lake, Fenton Hardy calls and tells the boys that he needs them in Washington for help on a case that he's working on.  So, when the boys get to Washington they learn that a bank has been robbed of a million dollars, a number of securities from a foreign government that were in the bank for debt repayment to the US government, and a diamond ring has been stolen.  But, what is even interesting is that the thieves didn't bust in through the front door, or even the back door of the bank!  Instead they came in through a tunnel that leads across the street to "The Sports Center", a sporting goods store.  Is there a connection between the bank and "The Sports Center"? 

Then the Hardys head up to the Allagash Wilderness, in Maine, to join Ollie Fernandez and his crew on their trip to run the Roaring River.  But someone has been stealing the life jackets from the group, and the jackets all came from "The Sports Center"!  What's the connection?

Review: 
Of course, I did notice a few spelling errors in the text of the Wanderer edition (which I believe were fixed in the Minstrel editions, but I can't check since I don't have a Minstrel copy of the book right now), plus in Chapter 19 there is a section where it feels like the ghost writer (who is accredited to Karl Herr III) was asked to rewrite the parts of the chapter, since the author wrote that Ollie and his maintenance crew and equipment left with the forest rangers in a truck, but then a few pages later, when Frank and Joe are searching the floors of the cottage that they are vacating, Frank finds the stolen money and securities, and then all of a sudden Ollie pops back in filling dates of when Ollie and his crew came up to the cabin and when the gang of crooks was most likely at the cottage.  So, it is a little strange how Ollie seems to be in the truck, and yet at the same time he is back at the cottage.

Otherwise, I found that this book has some interesting continuity with the short story "Whitewater!" from 'The Hardy Handbook: Seven Stories of Survival' (North American title)/'The Hardy Boys Survival Handbook' (British title), since in "The Roaring River Mystery", Chet is just learning how to run the rapids, whereas in "Whitewater!" the Hardys had run the Chatooga on the Georgia/South Carolina border with Tony Prito and Phil Cohen.  So mention of Chet not knowing how to run the rapids seems to line up with everything about the character from his introduction in "The Tower Treasure", since I seem to recall that Chet did paddle a canoe in "The Mystery At Devil's Paw", but he hasn't done any river rafting.

It was interesting to see Fenton Hardy working on a case again (considering that all the recent Undercover Brothers have Fenton Hardy retired and doing absolutely nothing) even though Frank and Joe once again solved the case for him.  Even in Chapter 2 we got to see Laura Hardy and Aunt Gertrude, and Aunt Gertrude even asks the boys to mow the lawn and do more chores around the house (none of that is ever asked in the Undercover Brothers series---why is that series still in print and the Digests/Casefiles aren't?). 

There was even some friendly competition between the Fernandez rafting team and the rival rafting team led by Brian Schmidt, right down to the point where the boys thought that the Schmidt team had sabotaged their canoe, causing it to sink, along with possible stealing the life jackets from the Fernandez camp. 

And we actually saw a gang that had more than 1 member.  So it was interesting to see how the gang sent a person to try and find out where Fenton Hardy was staying in Washington and spoil his disguise, while another gang member turned out to be an ex-ranger, but was posing as a ranger, and still there was another member who was a criminal wanted around the world, and then there were other unnamed members all trying to hurt the Hardys.  Unfortunately, I didn't like the fact that the Hardys ended up one of the people who brought them in on the case.

Rating: 8 out of 10.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

Bigfootman

http://bigfootmanshardyboysandnancydrew.blogspot.ca

Most Recent Post:
"Tom Swift Inventors' Academy" Cancelled?

Bigfootman

Quote from: qweqwe on January 18, 2010, 07:38:59 PM
If a cyclist does find wow power leveling that they are wow gold sliding, they should try to correct with wow power leveling small movements and avoid any major swerving. Much aion power leveling like in a vehicle, over-correcting could easily lead to a crash.Generally, snow will require more effort to pedal through, but will aion gold allow for better traction cheap wow power leveling than ice.With an increased awareness in global issues and the rising costs of buy wow power leveling fuel, many are turning towards warcraft gold cycling as a main source of transportation.
wrong topic!

http://bigfootmanshardyboysandnancydrew.blogspot.ca

Most Recent Post:
"Tom Swift Inventors' Academy" Cancelled?

MacGyver

I really enjoyed this one too. It's been a long while since I've read it, but I particularly enjoyed the last chapter "Finding the Loot" if I recall correctly. Once again, The Hardy Boys pull it together even when it looks like they've been beat and come out triumphant in the end. :)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

tomswift2002

Well not to long ago someone was pointing out to me just how illogical it was that after the Hardy's flashlight died from weak batteries, how the boys don't go back to the sporting goods store, buy some batteries and then crawl into the tunnel.  Oh well.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

Because that's not nearly as exciting! And in the heat of the moment, the Hardy Boys obviously overlooked that option, so it can be forgiven. ;)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"