Bonfire Masquerade- #5 NDGD/HBUB Supermystery book

Started by MacGyver, October 07, 2010, 09:07:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: MacGyver on May 13, 2011, 02:53:14 PM
I think I'd rather introduce kids to the Original or Digest stories. And when they're older (i.e. 11 or 12 or so to teenager), the Casefiles.

Now that the UB are going that way, I think I will. :-\

MacGyver

I see that all the time around town and on my bus route. I find it sad that parents will bend to the wishes of the child, even if it is not healthy for the kids. Since Dr. Spock, we have become afraid to say "no" or have any discipline in our homes.
That's why I tell people when his name comes up- it's Dr. McCoy and Mr. Spock. ;)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

AlwaysAJoefan

Quote from: MacGyver on May 13, 2011, 03:08:51 PM
That's why I tell people when his name comes up- it's Dr. McCoy and Mr. Spock. ;)

LOL, Mac! You know what I meant, though.  ;)
Want to cure this country? Try 2 Chronicles 7:14...

MacGyver

Oh yeah- I know who Dr. Benjamin Spock is. I just meant that I prefer Mr. Spock on Star Trek ;D 8)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

AlwaysAJoefan

Quote from: MacGyver on May 13, 2011, 05:45:28 PM
Oh yeah- I know who Dr. Benjamin Spock is. I just meant that I prefer Mr. Spock on Star Trek ;D 8)

Who doesn't? Beside Dr. Phil, I mean.  ::) ;)
Want to cure this country? Try 2 Chronicles 7:14...

tomswift2002

Well with that series outline it seems like every author has taken the instructions to mean that only murders can be the major crime in the books. 

But, really, I don't think any author ends a chapter anymore with the character in physical danger, or if it is, it is so contrived that it doesn't make a good cliff-hanger.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: tomswift2002 on May 14, 2011, 08:16:06 PM
Well with that series outline it seems like every author has taken the instructions to mean that only murders can be the major crime in the books. 

But, really, I don't think any author ends a chapter anymore with the character in physical danger, or if it is, it is so contrived that it doesn't make a good cliff-hanger.

Yeah, I noticed that! ::)

tomswift2002

I just picked up my copy of Bonfire Masquerade today, and it actually feels and looks smaller than the previous SM'07 books.  Whether this is due to less story or cheaper paper being used, I'm not to sure.  But I still haven't finished the previous SM'07 book, so who knows if I'll get around to reading this one.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 

JoeHardyRocks

Woah, it's out already?? Lol I haven't been tracking the UB's lately.... Huh. Well, time to go to the library!!

Oh, and a note on the name, wasn't there a girl detective book called like Mardi Gras Masquerade?
"Hey! Don't do that here. You'll mess up my bedspread."
Rolling his eyes, Joe sat on the window sill and started sawing.
"Thank you, Joe."
"You're welcome, Martha Stewart."

MacGyver

Yes, there was.
And I have checked at three bookstores near me and have yet to see Bonfire Masquerade in stores. But then, it only released last Tuesday- maybe they will have it with some more time.
Also- I just saw this rather scathing review on Amazon.com- wow! Of course- sadly, I know it's probably pretty spot-on. :(

tomswift2002

I though the book was shorter than the first 3 SM'07's just by the look and thickness of the book, and it looks like I was right, according to that Amazon.com review.  But I remember that I didn't like Operation: Titanic from the SM'88 series because the mysteries that Nancy and the Hardy Boys were on didn't join together till the last 1/4 of the book. 

I really love the quote that the reviewer on Amazon said about the state of kids and teenagers nowadays.  Here's the quote:

Quote from: Stephanie L. Wideman    Review on Amazon.com   July 9, 2011, accessed July 15, 2011
If one is to go by the writing style of the first Nancy Drew or Hardy Boys books, kids in the thirties, sixties, and nineties were a lot smarter than kids today. This is decided purely on the virtue that those books were longer, had more plot, smaller print, and were a lot more entertaining. I'm not saying kids now-a-days aren't smart, but this book made me wonder what the author and publishers think about today's youth.

I think that can be applied to all the UB books by S&S (Papercutz is exempt).

MacGyver

Agreed. And I would definitely give Papercutz a pass- I think those are probably the best interpretation of the Undercover Brothers universe for The Hardy Boys.

tomswift2002

Well, I guess this summer we'll be able to see who has done the better Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys team-up for the recent stories (since we might as well start calling the Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys team-ups done by the Stratemeyer Syndicate in the early 80's and then taken over by Simon & Schuster, who then brought out the SuperMystery'88 series as the Classic Nancy Drew-Hardy Boys Team-ups).

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: tomswift2002 on July 15, 2011, 07:27:43 PM
I didn't like Operation: Titanic from the SM'88 series because the mysteries that Nancy and the Hardy Boys were on didn't join together till the last 1/4 of the book. 

I hated that one too. ::) Never know why, but seeing your post was the reason, thanks! 8) I think they could do Dead on Arrival again, don't you? That's my favourite one of the whole SM'88 series. ;D

tomswift2002

I just finished "Bonfire " and it was really good.  Finally we get a story where there is a gang of 16, and not just 1.

Rating: 8/10