TV show episode discussion club?

Started by MacGyver, November 08, 2011, 07:12:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlwaysAJoefan

Quote from: Katie on November 14, 2011, 07:20:25 PM
You can't view that on dial-up, can you?

Well, there's my laptop at work. :) And my dad is getting us something really cool for Christmas, if you get my drift.  :D :D
Want to cure this country? Try 2 Chronicles 7:14...

MacGyver

"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

MacGyver

Okay- so if this will work for everyone interested, I vote for doing The Hardy Boys: The Mystery of the Chinese Junk pilot for this month. I know that only leaves a little over two weeks but hopefully that's a do-able goal. I think for this one we can just leave reviews in the thread already open for the pilot.
That will serve for the November 2011 opener. Then maybe December 2011 could be our other entry that's not a TV series- The Hardy Boys: The Mystery of the Applegate Treasure serial from The Mickey Mouse Club.
Then by the new year we could start in on the '70s and '90s series. Is that cool with everyone?
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: MacGyver on November 15, 2011, 08:56:02 PM
Okay- so if this will work for everyone interested, I vote for doing The Hardy Boys: The Mystery of the Chinese Junk pilot for this month. I know that only leaves a little over two weeks but hopefully that's a do-able goal. I think for this one we can just leave reviews in the thread already open for the pilot.
That will serve for the November 2011 opener. Then maybe December 2011 could be our other entry that's not a TV series- The Hardy Boys: The Mystery of the Applegate Treasure serial from The Mickey Mouse Club.
Then by the new year we could start in on the '70s and '90s series. Is that cool with everyone?

Sounds fine to me! :)

AlwaysAJoefan

Quote from: MacGyver on November 15, 2011, 08:56:02 PM

Sounds good! 8)
Want to cure this country? Try 2 Chronicles 7:14...

MacGyver

MacGyver

Just a reminder for the November 2011 viewing- The Hardy Boys: The Mystery of the Chinese Junk 1967 pilot- leave your reviews in the thread already established. By the end of the week, we'll be in December and starting in on The Hardy Boys: The Mystery of the Applegate Treasure serial from The Mickey Mouse Club:)

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: MacGyver on November 28, 2011, 08:01:18 AM
Just a reminder for the November 2011 viewing- The Hardy Boys: The Mystery of the Chinese Junk 1967 pilot- leave your reviews in the thread already established. By the end of the week, we'll be in December and starting in on The Hardy Boys: The Mystery of the Applegate Treasure serial from The Mickey Mouse Club:)

All right. Do we watch those all at once and then post our reviews or do we post after watching every episode? :-\   

MacGyver

Hmm- good point. I think since everyone will have different schedules for when they can watch the serial, I'll just leave it open to every individual on when they want to post and what to cover. So basically, if you get the first 4 episodes watched in one week, say- then you can just post an update for that week on those first few episodes. If you can watch 4 episodes for each week of December, then you should make it through the whole thing on schedule. Or you may just like to take a Saturday afternoon or something and watch the whole thing straight through. (Remember that each episode is only 11 minutes long- at least according to this site, which sounds about right as far as I can recall. So overall the whole thing runs 209 minutes or about 3 1/2 hours. [or about 4 1/2 hours if you watch the complete episode of The Mickey Mouse Club included on the DVD as well.])
          So for those who want to watch it as it originally aired, you can watch an episode each weekday during the weeks of December, or just do one a day over the course of 19 days. I'll leave that up to everyone's individual preference. And then just post as you go along- with a review of whichever episodes you've watched that week- or the whole thing. If you're watching episode by episode, then I suggest we try to cover at least 5 episodes per week for reviews. That should get us through the whole thing before Christmas (assuming we start in this weekend.) For those who prefer to just watch the whole thing straight through, then perhaps you could reserve a full review of the serial for the end of the month, so as to avoid spoilers for those seeing it for the first time.
Thanks and hope that helps.

MacGyver

Well, I've left a few more thoughts on The Mystery of the Chinese Junk pilot in its thread.
It'll be fun to jump into The Mickey Mouse Club serial, The Mystery of the Applegate Treasure next month. :)
(I'd still love to see The Mystery of the Ghost Farm too- wish Disney would release it to DVD.)

MacGyver

Well, the new year will soon be here and I was wondering what you all wanted to do with this discussion club then. The only feasible Hardy Boys productions we have available to watch and review at this point are the '70s and '90s shows. (If someone has access to The Mystery of Ghost Farm serial and/or The Hardy Boys cartoon series, then I'll be happy to devote one of our designated months to those productions, as I still have some impressions on both, even with the limited access I've had to either. It'd be great to see these both come to DVD, but until such time, we'll probably have to skip these for the most part- though we could still have a dedicated thread for each one just to talk about impressions of both, regardless of whether you've actually seen either one.)
        Anyway- I'm mainly wondering how we want to break this up for the new year. The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries has 46 episodes (36 of which are available on DVD.) The Hardy Boys ('90s series) has 13 episodes, all of which are available on DVD. And if we want to throw it in for fun (and I'd like to anyway :)), Nancy Drew ('90s series) has 13 episodes as well, all of which are available on DVD. So no matter which series we pick, do we want to limit just one episode per month? We could do that but we wouldn't even be done with the '90s series in a year's time at that rate. I'm kind of thinking that it would be better to do an episode per week. At that rate we could complete the entire '70s series and still have 6 weeks left over to start in on the '90s series. For those wanting to participate, let me know what you prefer and we'll get it set up for January. I'm kinda leaning toward doing the '90s series first just because we can get through the whole series rather quickly. But I'm fine with doing the '70s series first too. It's all good.

Olivia

We can try one per week. I'm just wondering what would happen if after a while, people are away or not able to keep up. Though if we have a dedicated group, even small, it should be fine. Plus a lot of us have already seen the episodes, and might not have to necessarily re-watch to discuss.

So it looks like it could work!

Hardy Boys UB Fan

I say do the '90s series first. I've seen all the Hardy Boys ones.

MacGyver

Okay- so we have a vote in for one per week and to start with the '90s series first. Sounds fine to me- since it's a lot shorter series, and only half-hour long episodes at that, we should be able to review that one pretty quickly. Plus I haven't seen that series in quite a while, so that's another reason I'm leaning toward it.  ;)

MacGyver

Okay- so I've been behind in getting this started but the new year is here! So- there are 13 episodes of The Hardy Boys ('90s) series and I guess we'll start in with the show in order as listed on the DVD. So this week we will review the episode "All That Glitters". I will lead discussion on that one. Would everyone like to take an episode and post a new thread each week and lead the discussion? I can post all the threads if no one else wants to, but I'd rather give everyone else a chance to lead discussion on favorite episodes and all. Let me know- thanks.

Here is a list of all the episodes:

All That Glitters
Jazzman
A Perfect Stranger
Say Cheese
Smart Drugs, Stupid Mistakes
Telling Lies
The Debt Collectors/All in the Family
The Curse
R.I.P.
Play Ball
Lovebirds
The Last Laugh
No Dice