July 2010 Book Club Discussion: Murder On The Fourth of July

Started by tomswift2002, July 11, 2010, 08:04:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomswift2002

Murder On the Fourth Of July
Published: July 1996

I'll be posting my review here shortly, but feel free to go ahead and discuss this "liberating" Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys SuperMystery'88 book.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

Is this the only Hardy Boys or Nancy Drew book set on America's Independence Day? I was trying to think on this the other day and this is about the only title that immediately comes to mind. I know the "Oh Say Can You Sing" episode of The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries is also set on the 4th. of July- but that's about the only ones I could think of.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

tomswift2002

Well I know that there are no Hardy Boys or Tom Swift books set during Canada Day, which would've been nice.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 

MacGyver

Yeah- they could stand to have the Hardy Boys and Tom Swift be more international sometimes, but they are American characters after all... ;)
At least they've actually been to Canada on some occasions. (I can't speak for Tom Swift, but I know the Hardy Boys head up to Canada in "The Viking Symbol Mystery" and "Countdown to Terror" and probably some others I'm not thinking of right now.)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

tomswift2002

Tom Swift was in the Dominion of Canada in Tom Swift And His Great Searchlight (1912).  And then in one of the TSJR books the Canadian coast guard was involved with the US Navy in something out in the Atlantic that was near Tom's location.

But the Hardy's have been in Canada a few times, even with Nancy Drew in New Year's Evil.

hardygirl847

On behalf of Tomswift2002 who chose this Super Mystery, let the discussion begin. :)

I only have time right now to make a quick comment. I liked how the beginning really felt like a normal Hardy Boys book. I liked the focus on Frank and Joe. Unlike some of the newer ND/HB books, their character traits were consistent with other canon series. I really appreciated that. I wasn't overly fond of the fireworks information....it seemed to beat me over the head a little with stuff I didn't need to know for the story. At least that's how I felt. More later...gotta go for now.

Comments? Reviews?

I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

tomswift2002

Quote from: hardygirl847 on July 20, 2010, 07:29:57 PM
On behalf of Tomswift2002 who chose this Super Mystery, let the discussion begin. :)

You realize that I started a discussion on this under the SuperMystery's section.
http://www.hardyboyscasefiles.com/forums/index.php?topic=1979.0

hardygirl847

Quote from: tomswift2002 on July 21, 2010, 10:32:54 AM
You realize that I started a discussion on this under the SuperMystery's section.
http://www.hardyboyscasefiles.com/forums/index.php?topic=1979.0

lol! Nope...guess not. Thought they always go in the main section. Oops.  ;)
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

tomswift2002

Quote from: hardygirl847 on July 23, 2010, 08:51:06 PM
lol! Nope...guess not. Thought they always go in the main section. Oops.  ;)

Well I just checked the Schedule discussion, and we never thought about where to put the topics.  I was also thinking that in case someone talks about this book in the future, instead of having a thread here in the main topic that the webmaster may have to add a "new thread" to in the future, why not just have it in the proper series section.  Of course, if people want it in the General Discussions...

hardygirl847

I always assumed it would be in the General Section but it really doesn't matter. I didn't see it and made a new thread instead of looking in the corresponding category. Oops.

SDLagent

I think putting them all in "General Discussions" would make sense.

hardygirl847

Agreed. We shall continue that way. Spencer, you're up for August with What Happened at Midnight!

tomswift2002

Quote from: SDLagent on July 26, 2010, 09:09:34 PM
I think putting them all in "General Discussions" would make sense.

Or should there maybe be a "Child Board" under General Discussions for this monthly Book clubs so that they can all be in one place for future reference, instead of having to go through different pages to look for all of them?

hardygirl847

Or maybe SkyWarp can make us a Book Club Discussion section to ease the whole process?