Deadly Strategy (spoilers)

Started by SDLagent, September 01, 2009, 02:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacGyver

So here we are in September now- anyone seen this book yet? I will probably order it from Amazon soon- as soon as I have the cash to spare that is.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

SDLagent

I got my copy, today. Finally!

After the first read, I'm actually a little disappointed but probably only because I was really looking forward to Deadly Strategy. Anyway, here, for your reading pleasure, is the back cover summary:

IS THIS THE END OF THE HARDY BOYS?!

Frank and Joe Hardy are wanted men- falsely accused for crimes they never committed that involve almost every one of their past missions! On the run, Frank and Joe encounter old friends and foes but must find out who has framed them before it's too late- and A.T.A.C catches them!

Q

That's it...?!?!?!?!
Where's the spoilers?

SDLagent

I'll post spoilers soon. After I've reread it. That's a pretty sweet back cover summary, though, eh?

SDLagent

Frank: I HATE TO SAY IT BUT THIS IS ONE CASE WE'RE GOING TO HAVE TO SOLVE WITHOUT ALL THE RESOURCES OF A.T.A.C.
Joe: OLD SCHOOL, FRANK? THAT'S COOL. ANY IDEAS?
Frank: A FEW...

One of my favourite quotes from the story. Anyway, as promised, full spoilers are up on The Hardy Boys Wiki. I have to warn you these full spoilers and include the villain's identity, so, if you just want a bit more info but don't want to have the surprise ending ruined, don't read passed the fourth paragraph.

http://hardyboys.wikia.com/index.php?title=Deadly_Strategy

Q

Man, I never expected that person to be the villain.

SDLagent

Yeah, me neither. Good twist.

Overall I really enjoyed this story and thought it was fitting series finale but, as I often do, I found myself wishing it could be a few pages longer.

MacGyver

Sounds really cool- good to know it's finally available. I look forward to reading it as soon as I have some free cash to spend on it. 8)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

MacGyver

I got my copy of this one today so I am excited about reading it and discussing it more here soon. :)

SDLagent

Finally someone to discuss it with!

tomswift2002

I found the story should've been spread across two books, not one.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

SDLagent

Quote from: tomswift2002 on October 05, 2010, 12:53:40 PM
I found the story should've been spread across two books, not one.

Same here. Good idea, though, eh?

MacGyver

The graphic novels usually remind me some of the '90s The Hardy Boys TV show as far as pacing goes. Both are cramped for space and wind up cramming a lot of stuff in very quickly. So that tends to be an issue with the graphic novels, though I can generally figure out what's going on for the most part, especially after reading through it again.
And yes- I finally read #20 Deadly Strategy - this one was really good. A very fitting story for Scott Lobdell to go out on and I'm thankful he included all the back issue references there, so I didn't have to be left wondering which story was which. (Because it's honestly been quite a while since I've read some of these issues- I've read them as they were released.) It was nice to see Chet Morton, Callie Shaw and Iola Morton all in the story again. Some of the appearances from past characters don't seem to make much sense though- I'm particularly wondering about the sudden appearance of the Great Marconi and how he was able to help The Hardys. Sure, he's grateful for the help they gave him and probably would help them with anything if he could- but it seemed really convenient he was on hand at just the right moment to help the Hardys. Maybe it's because of his magical powers as a magician ;) But I also knew the author was purposely trying to reference most all the past cases and so he worked in cameos wherever he could. And though I don't know if I totally expected the villian pictured at the start of chapter 8- that seemed like it would be too obvious- but I definitely didn't expect the villian revealed in chapter 9. The whole thing reminded me some of "The Wizard of Oz" scene at the Emerald City toward the end.
Anyway, a fun read and a great splash page at the end. I also liked the tie-in to the next case. That was even more reminiscent of the original 58 books even more so than the preview pages that they did in previous graphic novels. By the way, who is it that arrests Frank and Joe in chapter 7?

hardygirl847

Definitely a storyline I would have loved to have seen dragged out more. A lot was fit into a small space. It was still great, but could have been greater. For what they had to work with, it was awesome. I actually haven't read every single one yet so it was fun to see the stories I have read and haven't intertwine.

To answer your question, the cop that arrests them does look familiar. However, I haven't read them all to know who it is for sure. :(
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

Olivia

Quote from: MacGyver on November 15, 2010, 10:30:07 PM
It was nice to see Chet Morton, Callie Shaw and Iola Morton all in the story again.

Anyway, a fun read and a great splash page at the end. I also liked the tie-in to the next case. That was even more reminiscent of the original 58 books even more so than the preview pages that they did in previous graphic novels.

Yeah, I liked how their friends are in the beginning, their father is near the end, and then it's just them two running towards what's next.

Very nice ending and tribute.