QUOTES

Started by Kerin, July 05, 2007, 10:09:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Olivia

Quote from: peace&love on January 10, 2008, 10:15:50 PM

I looked it up,its from ''Running on Fumes''.

Okay, thanks!

Kerin

"Anyone else hungry?" Chet asked,stuffing a handful of potato chips into his mouth. "It may be athe last real food we'll eat for a while."  "You'd better slow down,Chet," Joe said with a smile, ''or you won't be able to pull yourself up on the saddle for the steer-roping competion."  "Its oaky.These are those new low-fat chips," Chet explained between crunches. "So I figure I can eat twice as many."
If Christ had been a philosopher, they could have debated Him.Had He been a religionist, they could have ignored Him.But Christ was love.What do you do with that?

tomswift2002

What book is that from P/L
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

Kerin

its from 'lost in gator swamp'.From the digest series.
If Christ had been a philosopher, they could have debated Him.Had He been a religionist, they could have ignored Him.But Christ was love.What do you do with that?

tomswift2002

Thanks.  It might be best from now on, whenever someone uploads a quote, they identify which book its from considering that there are approximately 600-700 Hardy boys stories that have been written.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 

pixieron

oohhh...i have another one...

it sounds something like this..

"what's this?"Joe asked."Are we going to have a fight??A couple rounds of boxing?

from the book Line of Fire...
Welcome to the 6 o' clock news. I'm Thor, but not complaining. I'd like to give you the weather for the next 50 years. Sun in L.A.,rain in Seattle.

tomswift2002

Here are a couple from Danger Zone, Casefiles #37:

"He sounded like Frankenstein in a blender."
                                       -Fenton Hardy, pg. 60

"I guess it isn't too tough to track down a van with a left side that looks like Swiss cheese," Mr. Hardy said.'  pg. 60

"Hmmm.  Must be quite some forest.  There's an ocean in the middle of it." - Fenton Hardy pg. 71

tomswift2002

I was just reading Tom Swift and his House On Wheels (1929), and here is a funny passage from pg. 27.

'"Putting the kitchen in the rear insures the odors being carried away as the machine moves along," explained Tom.

"Then you're going to cook as you travel?" asked Ned.

"Sure!" assented Tom.

"That is you are---or someone else," chuckled Ned.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean that my suspicions are confirmed," went on Ned, with a laugh, and taking care to get beyond Tom's reach before making his next remark.  He added:  "I know where the first stop will be for this traveling House on Wheels!"

"Where?" asked Tom, unsuspiciously.

"Honeymoon Lane!" yelled Ned, making a leap to escape his chum.'

devoika86

whats the tom swift series? are they another continuation of the hardy boys? i dont remember those? :-\

anyhoo, here is a quote from Hardy Boys #36 Secret of Pirate's Hill:
when Chet is in the pool trying snorkeling:

"Their stout friend was in the water...'ahoy!'called Jo....Chet continued moving about like a walrus, but finally emerged and removed his mask and flippers. 'Hi fellows! I'm having a hard time learning this. Can't get down deep enough.' 'What's the trouble?' Jo asked. ' The extra fat you carry around make you to bouyant?' 'Now listen here' Chet said. 'Just because I know good food when I see it...'"

haha i loved how they had to remind u chet was fat like every single time he was mentioned in the old series :P

tomswift2002

Devoika, was your quote from the original text of Pirate's Hill or was it from the revised text?

As for Tom Swift, he was created by Edward Stratemeyer, the same person who created the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew.  But Tom Swift (1910) was created 17 years before the Hardy Boys first appeared in 1927.

The first Tom Swift series, nowadays known as the Tom Swift Sr. Adventures, ran from 1910 to 1941.  The series was printed in hardcover Dustjacket covered cloth books by Grosset & Dunlap, except for the last two volumes, #39 and #40 were printed by Whitman books as part of their "Better Little Books" line.  Whitman also reprinted volumes 29-38 after Grosset & Dunlap sold the rights to the series to them.

The original Tom Swift returned once again, but as a secondary charcter, in the new series called the New Tom Swift Jr. Adventures that ran from 1954 to 1971, where it was revealed that after Tom Swift and Mary Nestor had married in Tom Swift And His House On Wheels, that they had had a son, who was now 18 and was also called Tom Swift, and a daughter named Sandra Swift.  This series had 33 volumes, all printed by Grosset & Dunlap, although in 1972, volumes 14-17 were reprinted by Tempo books, a subsidiary of Grosset & Dunlap, in paperback as volumes 1-4 in a new series that went nowhere.  Then in 1978 Tempo books reissued volumes 1-4, 6 and 8 in another paperback series and numbered them 1-6, but stopped after low sales.

1981 saw the launch of the third Tom Swift series, although this series was very loosely connected to the previous two.  The series only ran for 11 volumes and was cancelled in 1984 with a 12th and 13th volume already written (#12 and #13 are available from the New York public library in Manuscript form).  This series was published by Wanderer books

1991 saw the launch of yet another Tom Swift series.  Published by Archway Paperbacks, the series only lasted till 1993 with 13 volumes.

In 1992, Tom Swift joined forces with the Hardy Boys in the series "A Hardy Boys and Tom Swift Ultra Thriller".  So far it is the only series where Tom Swift has been paired with one of his "sibling" series.  Unfortunately the series only lasted for 2 volumes.  Both "Time Bomb" and "The Alien Factor" are highly sought after books by Hardy Boys, Tom Swift and science fiction enthusiasts.  The series ended in 1993 with each book only being printed once.  The Hardy Boys in this series are the Hardy Boys from the Casefiles universe, and the Tom Swift is the Tom Swift from the Archway series.

13 years after "The Alien Factor" was printed, Tom Swift Young Inventor showed up on store shelves in June of 2006.  However, this would prove to be the shortest Tom Swift series to date, with only 6 volumes being published before the series was discontinued in October 2007.  The series was written in the first person style, similar to the HardyBoys Undercover Brothers.  There was a seventh volume prepared, 'Extraterrestial Highway', but it is unknown whether it will be published, or if it will join the two Tom Swift books from the 1980's series in unpublished manuscript history. 

devoika86

wow u know alot! thanks! ive heard of tom swift before but never really knew much bout it since as a kid all i read was hardy boys, and nothing else from the Company that created hardy boys. as for the quote, it is from the original pirates hill since i had no idea that there had been a revised version. is it still the same story line or did they change it dramatically somehow?

tomswift2002

Basically, with the revised versions you can break them down into two categories

Altered - the books were shortened and the plot stayed unchanged.  A few of the books had a couple of characters dropped or added and the plot was changed in a few places, but otherwise, it was the same story.  ie. The Secret Of Pirate's Hill, While The Clock Ticked

Completely Changed - These books have absolutely no connection to the original story.  The plot is completely different.  ie. Footprint's Under The Window, The Melted Coins

You might want to check out Bob Finnan's webpage on the original series (http://hardyboys.bobfinnan.com/hbos.htm).  He lists just how different each revised book is, and the different volumes that were revised.  But, I'll just let you know, I disagree with him on The Melted Coins.  In my opinion, the revised text has one of the worst thought out plots ever in a Hardy Boys story.  Stealing coins to melt into a fake Native American mask?  The original version had the thieve's stealing the coins to make counterfeit currency.  Infact, I praise Collins and Armada for printing only the original story in Britain.  Obviously someone over there at Collins thought that the revised text was stupid as well.

devoika86

ewww i hope i dont have the revised copy of the melted coins :-\ how do i know if its revised or not?

tomswift2002

Easy.  On the copyright page, in pre-1987 editions, it will say 'Copyright 1970 by Grosset & Dunlap'.  In the flashlight editons it will say, 'Copyright 1944, 1970 by Simon & Schuster, Inc.'   Plus, the revised version has only been issued using the cover with the stupid mask and Joe holding coins in his hands.

devoika86

damn it, thats the copy i have! the mask and jo holding the coins! oh well ::) are Grosset & Dunlap the company that revised the book? i have another quote, to get us back on topic:

Hardy Boys # 167 TroubleTimes Two

pg. 58: "'What if he had a family connection?' Frank argued. Joe grinned 'Or maybe the gang is an equal opportunity employer'"

pg. 49: after Jo follows Mr. Gilliam around in the van full of his friends to put off seeing the romance flick that Callie wanted to see: "'Well I guess that's all settled.' Then he turned to Frank. 'So how are we doing on time? Can we still make that heart-flopper romance Callie wants to see?' Frank checked his watch. 'It started 5 minutes ago' he announced. A broad smile crept onto Joe's lips. 'So I guess we'll just have to see the boom-boom flick I suggested.' he said smugly. Frank shook his head. 'Actually, that started half an hour ago.' He grinned. 'But we could still make that foreign film Phil was talking about.' ....The rest of the kids exchanged amused glances over the way Jo's clever plan had blown up in his face."

pg. 56 "When Frank went down to breakfast the next morning, Jo was already there. 'Some brother you are,' he accused. 'First you side with Callie instead of me on the film question. Then you go along with Phil and make me look like an idiot.' 'That didn't take much work' Frank replied.

ppl, when u guys say the name of the HB books, can you also say the number and what series its from? makes it easier to keep track of where exactly its coming from.