Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys Supermystery: Gold Medal Murder

Started by FrankJoeATAC, September 07, 2009, 02:21:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacGyver

"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Bigfootman

Quote from: MacGyver on July 15, 2010, 10:26:15 AM
That wasn't a crack against Nancy Drew, was it? 'Cause like Relient K, I love Nancy Drew- yes, I do. ;D
So far the ND GD series is turning out to be better then the UBs.

http://bigfootmanshardyboysandnancydrew.blogspot.ca

Most Recent Post:
"Tom Swift Inventors' Academy" Cancelled?

Q

NancyDrew

Quote from: MacGyver on July 18, 2010, 06:34:12 PM
Hmm- interesting that two of the female members on here don't seem to care much for Nancy Drew and at least two of the male members (I'm including myself here) definitely love Nancy Drew pretty well. Of course, I also love The Hardy Boys and The Three Investigators and I enjoy other detective series too. Tom Swift is cool too, but I don't know that he really fits the "detective" genre.
Oh well- interesting...

Here's one female that loves her. Clearly. haha  Although I don't know how I feel about the GD series yet.

And I just started reading this book. I got it today. I'm not too excited yet. I really liked Danger Overseas and I thought the last one was pretty good. Maybe I'll get into it more later.

NancyDrew

I finished it today. I wasn't so thrilled tbh. I didn't care for it. I found it all over the place and too fast. The plot was lackluster and I felt it sounded like a bunch of little pieces of old ND/HB plots put together. Besides, it's a ND/HB book but they weren't together that often. I was disappointed.

And have the characters been cursing in the later UB/GD books? I haven't read them because my library doesn't carry them but they didn't before. Ok, once but that was it if I am correct in the UB series and never in GD series. I mean I can see it with Joe and even Frank. When I write ff, Joe is usually the one cursing if I even include it. But Nancy? NEVER. Just never. So I'm not happy at all with that. I know it's not the f-word or whatever, but still, I'm surprised and a bit disappointed because frankly, it's not necessary. Especially when they use it no where else! How come the bad guys have such clean mouths? Seriously.

SDLagent

MacGyver

Okay- I had heard there was some cursing in some of the UB books but I thought that was just on the part of the bad guys. I'm really not liking hearing Frank, Joe and Nancy cursing. There's absolutely no need for that. (There's no need for cursing from any of the characters in those books.)
Yes- I know the Casefiles have a few pretty rare occasions where it might say someone swore, usually under great duress (not that that justifies it). But at least that's better than actually writing out any words. I know they're human characters and they do have flaws, but I don't need to see curse words written out to illustrate that. And I'd definitely rather not see them curse at all.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Q

I remember one Casefile where Joe swore but they didn't put the actual word there. Besides you can't blame him when they're hanging around atomic bombs with loads of peoples lives at stake and someone misses something up.

NancyDrew

Quote from: SDLagent on August 18, 2010, 01:35:01 AM
What did Nancy say?

Just damn. It's nothing off the scale but I don't see the need. She's never cursed in 80 years. Why start now?

I actually don't remember actual curse words in the casefiles but I haven't read them all. It was referenced that someone cursed but the words never were said. When I was a kid I thought that if it was in a HB/ND book then it couldn't be bad. Well not so much anymore.

Quote from: MacGyver on August 18, 2010, 11:17:14 AM
Okay- I had heard there was some cursing in some of the UB books but I thought that was just on the part of the bad guys. I'm really not liking hearing Frank, Joe and Nancy cursing. There's absolutely no need for that. (There's no need for cursing from any of the characters in those books.)
Yes- I know the Casefiles have a few pretty rare occasions where it might say someone swore, usually under great duress. But at least that's better than actually writing out any words. I know they're human characters and they do have flaws, but I don't need to see curse words written out to illustrate that. And I'd definitely rather not see them curse at all.

I agree. I don't want to see  it. And I've read one other HB book where someone cursed and that was a UB. But that was it. I was really floored by this book. And definetly not in a good way.

Jokerette

Quote from: NancyDrew on August 18, 2010, 12:26:31 PM
I agree. I don't want to see  it. And I've read one other HB book where someone cursed and that was a UB. But that was it. I was really floored by this book. And definetly not in a good way.

what!  :o what did the person say?
I know that all you need is love, but I believe an Xbox Kinnect is pretty essential too, am I right?

tomswift2002

Quote from: NancyDrew on August 18, 2010, 12:26:31 PM
It was referenced that someone cursed but the words never were said. When I was a kid I thought that if it was in a HB/ND book then it couldn't be bad. Well not so much anymore.

I know that in #102 Terminal Shock the author has Joe mention that Frank sometimes swears at his computer when it won't work right, but Joe doesn't actually say the words.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

Exactly- that's always been standard. I mean, even The Bible records instances of people swearing, as when Peter swears with an oath in his denial of Christ before later repenting. (But that's all that is recorded- never any actual words.)

SDLagent

Well, lots of things happen in the Bible that you wouldn't want in a kids book. Hardly comparable to a book like this.

Jokerette

very true. some things there really shouldn't be in a kids book. however, i have noticed in a lot of books that the author says the person swore, but not what they said exactly. unfortunately, it's rather common...
I know that all you need is love, but I believe an Xbox Kinnect is pretty essential too, am I right?

MacGyver

What I meant was that even the Holy Scriptures record where people swore, but doesn't record any actual words. It used to be that when authors did include curse words- at least for some of the "big bad" words- they would use dashes so that the whole word wasn't actually printed. And there is a spiritual point with this because even though it may be a word that you tell yourself you would never use- constant repetition puts it on your mind. And I'd rather not have to see such words at all, particularly in children's literature.