Ultra Triller
0 (0%)
UB
6 (15.4%)
Bluespine
17 (43.6%)

Total Members Voted: 37

MacGyver

Is that to say that "The Secret of Pirate's Hill" was not real great to you to begin with and the revisements didn't really help- or just that the book was already so good it didn't need any adjustments?
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

tomswift2002

Pirates' Hill I've always found to be a snore bore of a mystery.  The Original Text was the first version that I read of the book and, even as a kid, I remember that the plot just rambled on with not a lot of reason for it to move.  And the 1972 Revision didn't help to tighten up and make the story go faster.   Plus I can never remember where the apostrophe goes in the title.

Out of the 38 Originals written between 1927 and 1959 this is probably in the Top 5 Worst books of that period.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

Really? Well, granted it's been a while since I've read it, but I always found it pretty enjoyable myself. (I particulary liked the treasure-hunting aspect.)  But then again, I've rarely found many Hardy Boys books that I don't like. (Although there are a few that have some elements I don't care for. But otherwise, it's all good.) :)
And by the way- the apostrophe goes after the "s" in "Pirates".
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

MacGyver

SDLagent

I liked The Secret of Pirates' Hill when I read it, too.

Bigfootman

Quote from: MacGyver on June 22, 2010, 03:58:44 PM
Really? Well, granted it's been a while since I've read it, but I always found it pretty enjoyable myself. (I particulary liked the treasure-hunting aspect.)  But then again, I've rarely found many Hardy Boys books that I don't like. (Although there are a few that have some elements I don't care for. But otherwise, it's all good.) :)
And by the way- the apostrophe goes after the "s" in "Pirates".
I read the revised edition and I laughed at how bad the writing was. Frank and Joe get shot at with a speargun, but when the shooter dissapears, they go back underwater to look at fish, and of course they get attacked again! And this is in the first chapter!

http://bigfootmanshardyboysandnancydrew.blogspot.ca

Most Recent Post:
"Tom Swift Inventors' Academy" Cancelled?

MacGyver

Hmm- I seem to recall a similar scene but I've read the original version, not the revised edition. (Though from what I hear, there's not much difference.)

NancyDrew

I started with the Blue Spines. It was either the Secret of the Caves or the Secret of the Lost Tunnel. I honestly don't remember sadly. I think it was the Secret of the Caves. I think. lol

Bigfootman

I think the first bluespine I ever read was The Clue of the Broken Blade, or Footprints under the Window, or The Bombay Boomerang. I honestly don't remember. I do know that I did have "The House on the Cliff" and "The Shattered Helmet" (and I still do) way before I had an intrest in the Hardy Boys series, so it is possible I read one of them  first. I also am I begining to think that one of the "Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys Be a Detective Mystery Stories" ("The Secret of the Knight?s Sword") was the first Hardy Boys book I read.

http://bigfootmanshardyboysandnancydrew.blogspot.ca

Most Recent Post:
"Tom Swift Inventors' Academy" Cancelled?

HardyFan11

I'm not sure what book I read first, but I know it was a bluespine. However, when I started the casefiles, I didn't get book one until about 2-3 years after I started reading them. I'm still working on casefiles though... :)
Currently reading: I have no clue. I know it's a Casefile, but I think I finished it. (Basically, I'm trying to read to many Casefiles at the same time)

iheartmystery

The first Hardy Boys book I read was #1 of the UB series....then I tried to read the blue spine ones and I'll be honest they did not click with me -.- lol.
American Teens Against Crime :)

MacGyver

Hmm- you might enjoy some of the later of the bluespine books- somewhere from "Mystery of the Whale Tattoo" through "The Sting of the Scorpion". Or perhaps The Hardy Boys Casefiles will resonate better- I enjoy them all, at least to some degree. But even if you don't like the original 58 books as much- I'm glad you have at least tried reading them anyway. :)

Olivia

I agree with MacGyver. You should try a little of all the series and/or the ones that are highly ranked. We have different topics here that can help with that, as some have us voting for our favourites and others give recommendations. :)

iheartmystery

Quote from: MacGyver on April 14, 2011, 03:21:44 PM
Hmm- you might enjoy some of the later of the bluespine books- somewhere from "Mystery of the Whale Tattoo" through "The Sting of the Scorpion". Or perhaps The Hardy Boys Casefiles will resonate better- I enjoy them all, at least to some degree. But even if you don't like the original 58 books as much- I'm glad you have at least tried reading them anyway. :)

Quote from: Olivia on April 14, 2011, 05:35:34 PM
I agree with MacGyver. You should try a little of all the series and/or the ones that are highly ranked. We have different topics here that can help with that, as some have us voting for our favourites and others give recommendations. :)

haha thanks:) yeah i love the Hardy Boys so im mad at myself for not liking the classics lol. but i will try the other ones.
American Teens Against Crime :)

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: iheartmystery on April 14, 2011, 10:56:45 AM
The first Hardy Boys book I read was #1 of the UB series....then I tried to read the blue spine ones and I'll be honest they did not click with me -.- lol.

You're not the only one! ;) ;D 8)