Cool finds from The Hardy Boys cartoon and '70s show

Started by MacGyver, February 05, 2010, 12:22:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacGyver

I just ran across a recent audio interview with Shaun Cassidy (Joe Hardy on The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries)! :) 8)
It was posted on Youtube on January 5, 2017 and it's mainly about his current work on NBC's new show Emerald City (a modern take on The Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum) It seems rare to find many public appearances from Shaun Cassidy, so it was really neat to find this. He does briefly mention his days on The Hardy Boys show and his music career, but the focus is of course, mainly on his new show. He also shares some about how he transitioned from being an actor and musician to a producer. I love how well grounded he seems to be and how he makes his family a top priority and always seems to keep a positive attitude. I also appreciate his humbleness as well- so I particularly enjoy seeing those times when he does make appearances here and there. :) 8)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

MacGyver

Here's a neat little retrospective post from MeTV in honor of the 40th. anniversary of The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries coming to television! It has 12 facts about the series and it makes for an interesting read. :) 8)
      It's kind of crazy to think the show is now 40 years old! I've been wanting to rewatch the episodes for a while anyway- now I really want to dig them out again.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

MacGyver

I just ran across a copy of script for sale from The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries. This is for the episode, "The Mystery of the Silent Scream". :) 8)

MacGyver

It was really neat today to see Shaun Cassidy acknowledge the 40th. anniversary of The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries TV show on his social media pages. :) 8)

MacGyver

I ran across some mockups made by Topps for trading cards based on The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries that were never produced. They both feature Parker Stevenson and Shaun Cassidy as Frank and Joe Hardy. They probably had one with Pamela Sue Martin as Nancy Drew as well, but it hasn't surfaced just yet apparently.
Check them out here. :) 8)

tomswift2002

I just got in the mail today the 1978 LP "The Hardy Boys: The Disco Conspiracy/The Mystery Of The Missing Iceman".  It has a 1978 Universal Studio's copyright and photo's of Shaun Cassidy & Parker Stevenson, but according to the back neither one participated. 
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

Nice! :) 8) That's one sometimes forgotten piece of Hardy Boys memorabilia. I've heard reviews claiming it was pretty bad....but of course, I'd like to check it out anyway. Post your review of the stories when you can. One thing I am curious to know- even though Shaun Cassidy and Parker Stevenson didn't participate, I'm guessing that the LP is still intended to tie in to the '70s show (as evidenced by their pictures on it). Can you tell if anything in the story indicates that it's set in the 70s TV show universe rather than the Hardy Boys universe as per the original series? Thanks.

MacGyver

I may have posted this before, but just in case I haven't- here's a comic book ad for the 1970-1971 fall TV season, featuring the second season of The Hardy Boys cartoon!
:) 8)

tomswift2002

Quote from: MacGyver on February 27, 2017, 07:10:31 AM
Nice! :) 8) That's one sometimes forgotten piece of Hardy Boys memorabilia. I've heard reviews claiming it was pretty bad....but of course, I'd like to check it out anyway. Post your review of the stories when you can. One thing I am curious to know- even though Shaun Cassidy and Parker Stevenson didn't participate, I'm guessing that the LP is still intended to tie in to the '70s show (as evidenced by their pictures on it). Can you tell if anything in the story indicates that it's set in the 70s TV show universe rather than the Hardy Boys universe as per the original series? Thanks.

There's nothing in either mystery linking them to the TV show.  Aside from the voice actor for Frank sounding a little like Shaun Cassidy, there is nothing. 
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 

MacGyver

Okay- thanks for clarifying. I suppose it's just a marketing off the TV show name (as well as the books) opportunity without actually being directly tied to the TV show. (i.e. Sure, we'll slap Shaun Cassidy and Parker Stevenson's photos on the LP- that'll be sure to sell some records! No, they're not actually involved and it's not actually based in any way off the show- but the kids don't know that! lol!) ;D

MacGyver

Here's a pretty neat photo of Frank and Joe from the '70s show with their classic van!

tomswift2002

Quote from: MacGyver on February 27, 2017, 02:15:40 PM
Okay- thanks for clarifying. I suppose it's just a marketing off the TV show name (as well as the books) opportunity without actually being directly tied to the TV show. (i.e. Sure, we'll slap Shaun Cassidy and Parker Stevenson's photos on the LP- that'll be sure to sell some records! No, they're not actually involved and it's not actually based in any way off the show- but the kids don't know that! lol!) ;D

In terms of the story, you've got to remember that LP's could hold a maximum of 30 minutes audio per side.  In this case, both stories are about 12 minutes in length.

MacGyver

Good information to know. A unique entry to the numerous cases The Hardy Boys have cracked. :) 8)

tomswift2002

With The Disco Conspiracy I found that the plot was very similar to the Season 3 two-part episode Defection To Paradise, but heavily modified to expand it from a 12-minute story into a 100 minute story. 

MacGyver

That's interesting. I wonder when exactly the LP was released in 1978. (For example, I wonder if it was released in the winter/spring while the second season would be running or in the fall to usher in the third season?) In any case, I suppose it's possible the story was at least inspired by the 3rd. season "Defection to Paradise" 2 part episode- but it could also just be coincidental too.