William Schallert (Carson Drew) has died :-(

Started by MacGyver, May 09, 2016, 07:14:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacGyver

I was sorry to hear about this today. William Schallert was an excellent actor! He played so many tons of great roles. He will of course best be known to me as Carson Drew on "The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries", but he also starred on "Gidget" and "The New Gidget" and "The Patty Duke Show", of course- and made guest appearances on tons of cool shows, including "Quantum Leap", "Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman", "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine", "What's New, Scooby-Doo?", "Simon & Simon", "St. Elsewhere", "Highway to Heaven", "Matlock", "Scarecrow & Mrs. King", "Magnum, P.I.", "CHiPs", "Gunsmoke", "Hawaii Five-O" (original), "Get Smart", "The Wild, Wild West", "Star Trek" (original series), "The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis", "Have Gun Will Travel", "Death Valley Days", "Rawhide", "Lassie", "Perry Mason", "Bonanza", "Alfred Hitchcock Presents", "The Andy Griffith Show", "The Rifleman", "The Untouchables" (1960s series), "One Step Beyond", "The Twilight Zone" (original series), "The Jack Benny Program", "Philip Marlowe", 'Wanted: Dead or Alive", "Steve Canyon", "Father Knows Best", "The George Burns and Gracie Allen Show", "Leave It to Beaver" (and "The New Leave It to Beaver"), "Blondie", "Commando Cody: Sky Marshall of the Universe" and cool specials like " 'Tis The Season to be Smurfy"- and of course, his crowning achievement- playing the Scarlet Cyclone on the 2 episode series/specials - "Legend of the Superheroes".  :) ;D And as an Archie Comics fan, I must also mention that he did an excellent job portraying Mr. Fred Andrews in the 1964 "Archie" pilot and the 1962 "Life With Archie" pilot. And he appeared in the 1956 "The Lone Ranger" movie (with Clayton Moore and Jay Silverheels) and the 1957 sci-fi classic "The Incredible Shrinking Man". This guy did tons of cool science fiction shows and comics-based TV shows and movies, etc. He even appeared in "Singin' in the Rain". (one of my favorite movies!) He also had a bit part in the 1949 original "Mighty Joe Young". And the list goes on and on. He will be dearly missed. :(
May God bless and comfort his family in this sad time. :(

"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

tomswift2002

Of note with William Schallert, in the 1977 Nancy Drew episode Will The Real Santa Claus... he was actually reunited with another guest star from his one episode of Star Trek TOS---William Campbell.  And of course William Campbell also appeared on Star Trek Deep Space Nine, but in a different episode (although both reappeared on DS9 in archive footage in the Season 5 episode Trials and Tribble-ations in archive footage).
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

Nice! I appreciate the Star Trek connection. I will have to remember to look for that next time I watch the Christmas episode. :) 8)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

tomswift2002

In the Christmas episode Campbell plays the store manager.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver