Undercover Brothers #25 Double Trouble

Started by SDLagent, June 28, 2008, 02:19:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigfootman

Perfect, they went back to the TV covers!  >:( >:(

http://bigfootmanshardyboysandnancydrew.blogspot.ca

Most Recent Post:
"Tom Swift Inventors' Academy" Cancelled?

SDLagent

Quote from: tomswift2002 on July 14, 2008, 06:40:35 PM
Actually, the numbering of Hardy Boys books, from what I know, since I haven't seen a lot of dustjackets, didn't start till, at the earliest, the post-WWII 1940's, latest 1959 with the revisions.  If you look at the ads in the early books, the titles aren't numbered, and you really don't see numbered titles in the ads till around 1962, so the numbering system may've only been introduced in '62. 

I just looked at my original ''House on the Cliff'', and you are right Tom! I still don't like the number-less spins though.

NZone

Yeah ,without numbers if you want to organize your books, you gotta get a list of the titles in order. Kind of a pain
Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men.

tomswift2002

Actually, I was just looking at some pictures of old Hardy Boys Dustjackets on Ebay, and it looks like they may've been numbering the Hardy Boys books since as early as 1930, since I saw one copy of "Shore Road Mystery" with a listing for the X Bar X Boys series on the back, and I was able to make out the last X Bar title in the list, which was "Lost In The Rockies", and according to sites online, that volume was published in 1930.  But, I think the one reason why people think numbers started later was that the numbers were printed under the Grosset & Dunlap logo, usually where the DJ gets torn or ripped from pulling the book off the shelf.  So, it looks like the numbers didn't get moved up higher on the books till 1962 with the start of the PC texts.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

NZone

I just checked my dust covers from the 20's, they have numbers, the numbers are only on the jacket though
Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men.

SDLagent

Quote from: tomswift2002 on July 15, 2008, 10:59:55 AM
Actually, I was just looking at some pictures of old Hardy Boys Dustjackets on Ebay, and it looks like they may've been numbering the Hardy Boys books since as early as 1930, since I saw one copy of "Shore Road Mystery" with a listing for the X Bar X Boys series on the back, and I was able to make out the last X Bar title in the list, which was "Lost In The Rockies", and according to sites online, that volume was published in 1930.  But, I think the one reason why people think numbers started later was that the numbers were printed under the Grosset & Dunlap logo, usually where the DJ gets torn or ripped from pulling the book off the shelf.  So, it looks like the numbers didn't get moved up higher on the books till 1962 with the start of the PC texts.

I just looked again, and after contradicting my self once, I'll have to do it again, your right there is numbers on the side! Just very small and at the very bottom. So I was right to begin with. LOL

SDLagent

BTW, what's the oldest HB book any of you have? My oldest is a 1956 printing of ''What Happened at Midnight''. So not really old at all...

tomswift2002

My oldest would be a copy of 'While The Clock Ticked' from the late 1940's early 1950's, since its a brown leathery cover with an ad in the back for the first 3 Rick Brant books.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 

Q

My oldest one is The Hooded Hawk from 1954.

NZone

My oldest is "The Secret of the Old Mill" from 1927

SDLagent

Quote from: negative_zone on July 16, 2008, 08:32:38 AM
My oldest is "The Secret of the Old Mill" from 1927

Wow, that's pretty rare. So does it look like this...

NZone

Yeah, I got Old Mill, Shore Road, and Great Airport all from then. I think i picked em all up for like 4 bucks at different garage sales.

NZone

Oh, and Secret of the Caves and The Missing Chums, sorry about double posting but for some reason I can't edit my posts under Network Briefings

tomswift2002

Quote from: HardyBoysWiki on July 16, 2008, 02:00:54 PM
Wow, that's pretty rare. So does it look like this...

Better be careful, since Applewood's books also look like that.

SDLagent

Yeah, ture. The only red cover books I've seen 'in person' are Applewood's books.