How many of your friends read Hardy Boys?

Started by SDLagent, August 14, 2008, 04:20:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mattie

MacGyver

I know a few other people that read The Hardy Boys (or at least like them.)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

JoeFan4ever

Two of my friends, at least. One has been reading them for a long time and he never knew I liked them.  ::) I got the other one started on the Hardy Boys.  ;)

Mattie

i let my friend borrow Dead on Target but she only read the part about the fight in the end and then gave up

hardygirl847

Dead on Target is awesome! I can't believe she gave up!

Only a few people I know even know who the Hardys are. They are WAY understated and definitely not appreciated...not like they should be!
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

SDLagent

Quote from: Mattielvsu on September 26, 2010, 05:44:26 PM
i let my friend borrow Dead on Target but she only read the part about the fight in the end and then gave up

My brother did that.

hardygirl847

I LOVE the Hardys so it's really hard for me to understand sometimes why people won't give them a chance. Truthfully, my friends who actually read BOOKS are more into romance, or more "girly" type of books. I realize that I am a girl and read the Hardys...but I also started when I was 12. I don't know if the girls I know now would be able to get into them like they get into their Nicolas Sparks books or what not.

However, if S & S and the powers that be actually made an effort to REALLY bring them back into popularity...things might be different. Maybe not. At least they would have more positive exposure and be available to more people.
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

MacGyver

QuoteI don't know if the girls I know now would be able to get into them like they get into their Nicolas Sparks books or what not.
Nicholas Sparks does have some great books out there. He's a good writer. (I don't read his romance novels, but I have read "Three Weeks With My Brother", which is a wonderful autobiography of sorts, as well as memoir to his family. It's a very moving read and quite enjoyable.) :)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Mattie

I dont get why people will read romance over mystery

MacGyver

That brings up an interesting question because some of the Nancy Drew novels tend to blur this line. Not the originals necessarily but perhaps some in The Nancy Drew Files and definitely in Nancy Drew on Campus. And obviously the '88 Supermysteries played around some with Nancy and Frank possibly having a spark for each other but each dealing with their respective boyfriend and girlfriend in the mix too. I know The Hardy Boys books have a bit of that sometimes too but generally not as strong as with Nancy Drew I would think. And I guess it makes sense as typically (not always) girls tend to like romance more and boys tend to like mystery and action/adventure more.
(Note that I am just making a very generalized observation that is not always true for every individual person, regardless of gender.)
However, the book of the month for October will actually deal with some of these themes, among others.

Mattie

Thats y read more hardy boys than nancy drew

hardygirl847

You make very valid points MacGyver. I like to read a romance or "girly" type of book once in awhile. I won't lie. But when it comes to my FAVORITE ....it's mystery/adventure/danger/hot boys. Hence, where the Hardys come in!! Lol A good fight or good knock on the head or even a good chase is thrilling. I haven't read enough ND to really add to what you said, but I can see what you're saying.

Nicholas Sparks is a wonderful writer! I ALWAYS cry at his books or movies based on his books. Don't even try to watch The Notebook without a tissue box!

I like a lot of different genres. I enjoy them for different reasons too. But give me some mystery and mayhem with two cute boys anytime!

lol I know...I am weird. :D

As for the book of the month (for October)...I am definitely reading this one again. It's been too long and frankly (haha) it's a good one! Nice pick :)

MacGyver

well, not that I really celebrate Halloween- but I figured might as well read a scarier book in October just because of Halloween and some out there do celebrate it. I don't care much for the roots of the holiday and I'm not a big fan of scariness and horror movies and such in general (but some is fun sometimes ;D)- but I do like to read "Dead of Night" around this time of year- it adds to the effect.

Mattie

dang it i just read Dead Of Night a couple days ago