In 20 years...

Started by tomswift2002, July 25, 2008, 07:11:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

In the year 2028, which Hardy Boys series do you think will be the least dated?

The Hardy Boys Originals/Digests
The Hardy Boys Casefiles
The Hardy Boys Are: The Clues Brothers
The Hardy Boys Undercover Brothers

tomswift2002

On another topic someone mentioned that the Undercover Brothers is probably the mosted dated of the series.  So I was wondering which Hardy Boys series (the crossover series are not mentioned because they are part of the Casefiles and Undercover Brothers continuities) you think will be the least dated by 2028.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

NZone

I think clues brothers just because it deals with 5th graders or however old they are.
Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men.

Olivia

Hmm. I'd have to think about it for a bit, but probably HB:UB because it actually mentions specific technologies and even TV shows and celebrity culture. The attitude of the characters and the style it's written also contributes.

I haven't read enough of the Casefiles, but I'm pretty sure they only mention some things in passing. Although once in a while I think, "Can't they just pull out a cell phone!" :D

As for the Originals, there's some of the language (i.e. "chums") and their simple way of living (i.e. without technology). The Digests, I think, have low date-a-bility, and The Clues Brothers just deals with kids playing so I don't think it would necessarily be constricted to a certain time period.

NZone

the question is least dated i believe
Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men.

SDLagent

I went with the originals - there not that out of date right now, almost 50 years after they were revised, and 20 more isn't going to make that much more difference.

And is some the later originals, it mentions computers but doesn't go in enough detail about them, to sound outdated.

Olivia

Whoops, I guess I read the title too fast. But anyways, how ironic would it be if most people were to choose the Originals as the least date-a-bility, yet they're the oldest books!

tomswift2002

Well, don't forget that in 1959 the Harriet Stratemeyer Adams had the first 38 books revised so that any signs of dating in terms of attitude and societal prejudice's of the 1920-1950's would be removed  and the books would sort of be "Time Neutral".
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 

Olivia

tomswift2002

Interesting, people believe that the Originals/Digests and Clues Brothers will both be the least dated in 20 years.

JoeHardyRocks

In the originals, they use older expressions, too. For example, in the ones I have read, they use the expression "Good night!" I think the originals will be the most dated.
"Hey! Don't do that here. You'll mess up my bedspread."
Rolling his eyes, Joe sat on the window sill and started sawing.
"Thank you, Joe."
"You're welcome, Martha Stewart."

Sam Spade

Quote from: JoeHardyRocks on August 01, 2008, 05:44:27 PM
In the originals, they use older expressions, too. For example, in the ones I have read, they use the expression "Good night!" I think the originals will be the most dated.

Well, I think there's a difference between "dated" and "classic", and I think that the old blue-spines and "classic", not "dated". As for which one is the most dated, I would have to think more on that...
Check out my Youtube Channel: :)
http://www.youtube.com/user/SageDuvall

SDLagent

Quote from: JoeHardyRocks on August 01, 2008, 05:44:27 PM

I know someone in his early 20's who uses that expression. So end of that argument...

And isn't this which will be the least dated, not most dated. Which do you think is the least dated?

JoeHardyRocks

Maybe the Clues Brothers or UB, because in CB they are younger, but since UB is the most recent, the UB might be the least dated.
"Hey! Don't do that here. You'll mess up my bedspread."
Rolling his eyes, Joe sat on the window sill and started sawing.
"Thank you, Joe."
"You're welcome, Martha Stewart."

SDLagent

At first glance it would seem, yes, the UB will be the least dated but when you stop and think about it, the UB will be quite outdated in 20 years! Often references are made to pop culture, and the year is even mentioned once or twice!

tomswift2002

I think that the UB's will be the most dated with all the references to Heroes and all the reality shows that are on the air waves now.