Special Ghost Stories Edition: Haunted

Started by SDLagent, May 12, 2008, 10:39:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigfootman

It looks like Frank needs a sufing breck in Hawiwi. This is probily the dumbest undercover brothers cover ever!

http://bigfootmanshardyboysandnancydrew.blogspot.ca

Most Recent Post:
"Tom Swift Inventors' Academy" Cancelled?

SDLagent

''Haunted'' is now available from Amazon.com. And by the looks of it, used copies of the book are already available from Amazon.co.uk!

Hopefully the book will be better then the cover!

tomswift2002

Or I wonder if the UK version has a different cover.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

SDLagent

I don't think it is, not by the looks of it on Amazon.co.uk, anyway.

Does anyone have the book yet?

SDLagent

I picked up ''Haunted'' today and according to the title page this is not Super Mystery #3 but Mission #24! Having ''Haunted'' as part of the main Undercover Brothers, makes it even stranger that it was published between Murder House #2 ''House Arrest'' and #3 ''Murder House'', since the trilogy would be numbered like this #22, #23, #25, with #24 right in the middle a totally unconnected story.

I suspected that ''Haunted'' possibly wouldn't officially be part of the UB Super Mystery series, but it never crossed my mind that ''Haunted'' would be part of the main UB series!

However, even if S&S doesn't consider it to be a one, I still consider it part of the UB Super Mystery series, considering it's longer (the only thing that really makes them SM in the first place), and that if this is a regular UB that would mean seven UB would be published this year, rather then the usual six.

SDLagent

Or if not Super Mystery #3, at least a stand alone volume.

Something I found interesting is that while numbered as #24 on the title page, in the list of titles on the opposite page, it is unnumbered.

So, far the books been pretty good, story wise. The first chapter was exciting (of course it has nothing to do with the main story).

Also, Mission #7 ''Operation: Survival'' is mentioned as the last time Frank and Joe went to juvenile detention camp, and ''Extreme Danger'' is indirectly reference, in that it is mentioned that the Hardys got Playback from a low life (can't remember the exact wording). These references are a welcome change from the normal amnesia style, in which the Hardys' past missions seem to have been forgotten.

Q still hasn't returned to the UB continuity, and ''ATAC contact'' is still in his place.

Joe mentioned that he thought Vijay Petal would get a undercover job, pretty fast, which almost made me laugh. Don't you now time doesn't pass in your UB world, Joe?

And it would seem Frank shares the view of many Hardy fans - the boys rely on gadgets to much. When Joe says, he's going to request an ATAC crash-landing pad, Frank sarcastically refers to him as James Bond.

As is the case lately, series dating pop culture references are made, including Jessica Simpson. Other real world subjects are mentioned, that I don't mind and actually enjoy, that wont date the book are ''SI'', Stephen King, and eBay, all of which will last for a long time.

SDLagent

On the back of ''Haunted'' where the last two book have had ''Watch out for our next case, book x'', there is a blank space, and on the back of ''House Arrest'' it said that ''Murder House'' is the next case, so the more I think about it, the more I think the title page is a mistake, and ''Haunted''. If it is a mistake this has to be the biggest mistake in Hardy history, you just can't get the number of your book wrong! Doesn't S&S employ editors? This is pretty hard to do too, I opened up the book and saw it right away.

Also, it would seem that the new cover style has already been altered, on the spine of ''Haunted'', the ''The'' in ''The Hardy Boys'' is just as big as the rest of ''The Hardy Boys'' and is the same color (orange), rather then being in smaller black letters, and it is written diagonally down the spine, rather then horizontally across it.

(Sorry for the triple post)

tomswift2002

Didn't I say back in the winter/spring that it was odd how Haunted[/] was coming out in the middle of a trilogy?  But I agree.  According to Paul Mular, the Nancy Drew Ghost Stories is a completely new Ghost stories book in that series (and there is no numbering for the GD series or even to make it Nancy Drew Ghost Stories #3) amd it is a stand alone title.  Even Paul is not sure why Haunted is #24.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 

SDLagent

Quote from: tomswift2002 on July 30, 2008, 06:34:31 AM
Didn't I say back in the winter/spring that it was odd how Haunted[/] was coming out in the middle of a trilogy?  But I agree.

You did say that. I wasn't disagreeing, in fact that's what I was saying, it's even stranger that it was published in the middle of a trilogy now, if it's even part of the same series!

Quote from: tomswift2002 on July 30, 2008, 06:34:31 AM
According to Paul Mular, the Nancy Drew Ghost Stories is a completely new Ghost stories book in that series (and there is no numbering for the GD series or even to make it Nancy Drew Ghost Stories #3) amd it is a stand alone title.  Even Paul is not sure why Haunted is #24.

Who's Paul Mular?

tomswift2002

I'm on the HardyBoys@yahoogroups.com forum there as well, and Paul Mular is the co-author of Hardy And Hardy Investigations, a pricing and rarity guide for all things Hardy Boys.  (Its published by Synsine Press http://synsine.com/current.html).

Lola

I got my copy in the mail a few days ago and on the top of my book it says: Special Ghost Series edition.

SDLagent

Yes it does but look on the inside title page, which reads #24 ''Haunted'': A Special Ghost Stories Edition. Weird. eh?

FrankJoeATAC

I read the book yesterday, and I thought it was okay, but I'm not really sure if there was a real ghost or not...

JoeHardyRocks

I loved it, I thought it was great! I was reading it at 1:30 a.m. and I was getting a little freaked........ :o :o :o
"Hey! Don't do that here. You'll mess up my bedspread."
Rolling his eyes, Joe sat on the window sill and started sawing.
"Thank you, Joe."
"You're welcome, Martha Stewart."

whitetigers

I just got this not long ago and I haven't read it yet. I'm glad someone likes it! I love ghost stories of any kind. But i just looked on the inside cover of the Ghost Stories and the Murder House and they both say # 24. What's up with that? Why didn't they just let it be as a Special Ghost Stories Edition and leave it at that like the first HB Ghost Stories?
Whitetigers