Why have the UBs not been canceled yet?

Started by Hardy Man, September 27, 2009, 02:15:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacGyver

I've read all of The Three Investigators Crimebusters and thought they were great. Though, yes- they were obviously at least inspired by The Hardy Boys Casefiles.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

SDLagent

The Crimebusters were made by the same people who made the Casefiles, so I wouldn't say it's a ripoff.

Bigfootman

Quote from: SDLagent on June 26, 2010, 01:47:27 AM
The Crimebusters were made by the same people who made the Casefiles, so I wouldn't say it's a ripoff.
http://www.threeinvestigatorsbooks.com/Lynds2.html
"JM:  We note the format changes between the original series to the Crimebusters series: the page count for Crimebusters seems to have gone down, and the format of the books is very consistent no matter who the author is.

GL:  It was very consistent.  As you will see in the bible, we were given the size of the page that we had to put on our computer, the number of chapters, and so forth.

The format changes were a marketing decision.  Random House analyzed the "Hardy Boys" older series.  They figured out the elements that went into that, and they tried to duplicate it while adding a 3Is spin."

http://bigfootmanshardyboysandnancydrew.blogspot.ca

Most Recent Post:
"Tom Swift Inventors' Academy" Cancelled?

hardygirl847

I haven't read them or heard of them before. If they are like the Hardy Boys, I would certainly check them out. I will always love the Hardys more...but there is room for both. :)
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

SDLagent

The original Three Investigators is a really good series. A better detective series than The Hardy Boys, I have to admit.

MacGyver

QuoteI haven't read them or heard of them before. If they are like the Hardy Boys, I would certainly check them out. I will always love the Hardys more...but there is room for both. 
Oh, they're definitely both great! I love The Hardy Boys and I love The Three Investigators! (and some other literary detective heroes too for that matter). 8)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

hardygirl847

Quote from: SDLagent on June 30, 2010, 03:27:00 PM
The original Three Investigators is a really good series. A better detective series than The Hardy Boys, I have to admit.

Very interesting! I understand you are emphasizing the detective aspect of the Investigators as being superior to the Hardys. However, I don't know if I would like them better overall. I suppose a trip to the library is in order. :)

Quote from: MacGyver on June 30, 2010, 08:47:08 PM
Oh, they're definitely both great! I love The Hardy Boys and I love The Three Investigators! (and some other literary detective heroes too for that matter). 8)

Hopefully I will also feel that way. :)
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

NancyDrew

Okay, I know I'm late but I thought I'd share too. hehe

Quote from: SDLagent on March 11, 2010, 05:32:22 PM
That's the problem. S&S doesn't seem to realize that The Hardy Boys are classics, and the Undercover Brothers are trying too hard to be cool, rather then trying to be good, long lasting stories. In 50 years people won't be reading the UB, they'll be reading the Originals and maybe the Casefiles, too.

I sadly think you're right. It's frustrating to watch such a lack of quality and honestly respect for what the Hardy Boys are. I do enjoy reading the UB stories -- at least some of the older ones. I haven't read the later ones. I think they nailed some of the humor from the older books I missed in the Casefiles but there's such lack of plots and substance. I've been disappointed. The most saddening thing about the whole series is what will be left for HB? I know they've had lackluster series before but it's still difficult. I'm not sure how popular they are. I just worry what will happen to them.

MacGyver

I'm pretty sure no matter what version of The Hardy Boys it is, as long as it's making money, it'll keep getting printed. No company lets go of a franchise like that that has been a money-maker for 83 years and counting.

NancyDrew

I don't doubt that but it saddens me with the quality as lackluster. Eventually, I just wonder if the effort will be continued to produce especially if the lack of quality leads many fans turned off by newer versions. I don't know honestly. I think they will be or at least hope so but it stinks to watch sometimes.

Olivia

Quote from: hardygirl847 on June 02, 2010, 07:43:26 PM
I don't know why they can't get their acts together either. I am sure they are trying to see what kids are into nowadays and work with that but it changes so frequently. First it's vampires then it's silly animal shaped rubberbands, and then who knows what? The Hardy Boys are classics and originals. They shouldn't need to conform to the popular trend of the moment. They are failing because this is what they are trying to do. On store shelves I see a lot of ORIGINAL blue spines and maybe a few older UBs that haven't sold. Why is that?? It's because the originals will always be better than lukewarm misrepresentations.

Great way of putting it.

And LOL at you and MacGyver's convo on the other page :D

hardygirl847

Thanks Olivia! And yeah we had fun with that!! lol

I found a blog from a year ago that someone was writing while they read some of the digests and such....I thought I would share....

http://hardyboysdigests.blogspot.com/

MacGyver

I've seen that blog once before- some amusing reviews of some of the later Digests and early Undercover Brothers titles. Some get a bit risque, but it's pretty funny overall.

SDLagent

hardygirl847

It seems to be quite outdated. Anyone want to start a new one? :)