What's the last book or item you added to your Hardy Boys collection?

Started by MacGyver, March 20, 2013, 08:18:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacGyver

I recently ran across one of the Hardy Boys Adventures books (#7) in hardback at a thrift store, so I was happy to finally have a hardback version of the book series for a cheap price. :) 8)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Hardy Sleuth

I want to get Showdown at Widow Creek, I've read it and it's great, really enjoyed it. 8) I also read and have Bound for Danger, didn't care for it. Showdown I would love to have in hardback. 8)
Joe Hardy said "Iola is alive, I can feel it. I couldn't feel this strongly about someone who was dead."

"Then I won't tell you to give up hope," Frank said softly. 8)

Bigfootman

Along with some Nancy Drew and Fear Street books, I got:
Perfect Getaway
The Blackwing Puzzle
Danger On Ice

http://bigfootmanshardyboysandnancydrew.blogspot.ca

Most Recent Post:
"Tom Swift Inventors' Academy" Cancelled?

MacGyver

WOW! I had a great find at random this last weekend at a thrift store.
I got these two books- The Hardy Boys Mystery Mazes by Vladimir Koziakin and Nancy Drew's Clever Crosswords by Dawn Gerger. They were used, of course, but neither one was totally completed, I don't think, and they were still in generally good shape.
I like how both these books included mazes or crosswords respectfully, all based on books in the two series. The Hardy Boys book utilized the cover art from the Grosset & Dunlap books for the most part. It's also kinda neat to see order forms in these books that didn't list the entire G&D catalog as we know it now- because some books were still yet to be printed! (These activity books are copyright 1977, of course- as they were tie-ins to The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries television show!) One of the really cool things about these books is that they include a lot of promotional pictures from the show- including some I haven't seen anywhere else before- some that I'm pretty sure were not even used on the show or in merchandise otherwise.
      These books are not something I've been really actively seeking out to order online or anything- but when I run across them at random like this and can pick them up for super cheap- I'm certainly happy to grab them up to add to my Hardy Boys collection (and very small Nancy Drew collection.) :) 8)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

SkyWarp

MacGyver

MacGyver

MacGyver

This isn't a Hardy Boys book, but it's certainly related, so I thought I'd post it here too.

Nancy Drew Mystery No. 19 The Mystery of the Tolling Bell

For people used to the North American releases, yes, you may realize that the numbering is off here- that's because this is a British paperback from Armada that I got here. :) 8)
It's in fact a 1979 printing that features Pamela Sue Martin as Nancy Drew on the cover!!! (With a "Now on T.V." banner on the book!) I LOVE this! I have been aware of these books featuring stars of The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries, but never owned one until now. It hasn't been a huge priority but I came across it recently and was ecstatic to have this to add to my collection. It's really cool to see things come full circle with this, with the books being turned into a TV show and then have the TV show selling the books with covers like this! I'm totally counting this as a collectible from the show as much as from the book series franchises themselves as well.

tomswift2002

On Christmas Eve I picked up the "Nancy Drew & Hardy Boys: Be A Detective #4 Secret Cargo".  This one was kind of interesting, as the book has a white square where the UPC would normally be, but the ISBN is there, so I wonder if the copy is a book club edition.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

Nice find! Yeah, that could be- I know there are some Scholastic book club editions of The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew- usually, it's not much difference other than their logo on the spine of the book- but in some cases, there have been entirely different covers produced and those are interesting. (I'm thinking of Nancy Drew books #63 and 64 here.)

MacGyver

I had another totally unexpected but really cool find at a thrift store yesterday! I got The Hardy Boys Adventure Activity Book #1 by Tony Tallarico! He did a series of books like this, presumably as a tie-in to the '70s show. The illustrations are based more on the books themselves rather than the show. (i.e. The cover features Frank and Joe looking more like their appearances on the Grosset & Dunlap books than as Parker Stevenson and Shaun Cassidy.) And these books are longer and taller than the other set of activity books released that were very specifically based on the '70s show with pictures from the series.
For the most part, this Tallarico book was unused as well and in good shape! It's not something I've been very actively pursuing, but I was happy to add this to my collection for cheap.

MacGyver

Now that I've finally looked through this whole book, I can also add that it contains an activity of some sort (connect the dots, coloring, word searches, picture puzzles, etc.) for the first 56 books in The Hardy Boys original series. (Since the copyright is 1977 from the Stratemeyer Syndicate, it wouldn't have #57 and #58 yet, as they hadn't been published yet.)
It's pretty cool. :) 8) Reading through all the activities makes me want to go back and reread all these great books. :)

VLoneWolf

That's cool that it has stuff for the first 56 of the original Hardy Boys books.

MacGyver

Hardy Sleuth

Quote from: tomswift2002 on January 04, 2017, 06:16:57 AM
On Christmas Eve I picked up the "Nancy Drew & Hardy Boys: Be A Detective #4 Secret Cargo".  This one was kind of interesting, as the book has a white square where the UPC would normally be, but the ISBN is there, so I wonder if the copy is a book club edition.

Oh, cool! Be A Detective series is one I'm interested in! :) Neat find! 8)

My most recent HB purchase is Hardy Boys #40 Mystery of the Desert Giant! :) 8)
Joe Hardy said "Iola is alive, I can feel it. I couldn't feel this strongly about someone who was dead."

"Then I won't tell you to give up hope," Frank said softly. 8)