MadLibs

Started by hardygirl847, June 14, 2010, 02:59:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hardygirl847

OK....so why does Nancy Drew get Mad libs and Hardy Boys do not?

see here: http://www.amazon.com/Nancy-Drew-Libs-Roger-Price/dp/0843116595/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276545489&sr=8-1

Sadly this is not where preferential treatment of Nancy Drew ends. This upsets me. Just thought I would share....
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

MacGyver

I've seen the Nancy Drew Mad Libs book before- that's pretty cool. I've also seen a pretty neat notebook that has "The Mystery of Shadow Ranch" for the cover- a neat Nancy Drew item- though I haven't seen a Hardy Boys equivalent.
I think in the case of the Mad Libs book though- I believe it was released a few years ago, most likely in conjunction with the 2007 Nancy Drew movie (which I enjoyed pretty well- saw it in theaters and have it on DVD. :)) I feel sure this is why the Nancy Drew part of "The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries" was emphasized so prominently on the release of the Second Season on DVD- in order to push the movie. I got over that- at least it was released. And the 1930s Nancy Drew movies were released on DVD at the same time too. And it's pretty cool having both of those on DVD (the 1930s movies are really great!)
This is kind of why I feel, though I'd rather see a real Hardy Boys movie, that Hardy Men movie might actually help with pushing Hardy Boys merchandise. And it's still scheduled for 2013, according to imdb.com
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Olivia

I think it's more of Nancy Drew being larger in the world overall, so possibility it's more about numbers than anything else.

If I had to choose, I would pick HBs over ND...but ND sells more in general, and probably has more books/series/movies. Not to mention, girls are a little more associated with reading, thus they're more likely to get ND stuff as gifts.

hardygirl847

I totally see what you're saying. I am a girl (well, woman) but I LOVE Frank and Joe!! And truthfully, I don't like Nancy much at all. Perhaps that is because when I first discovered HB, I was a boy crazy preteen. LOL
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

Mattie

the reason i think i dont like ND better than the HB is because i like action over romance and the NDs dont have a lot of action in them :P

MacGyver

I like both Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys but I can understand that Nancy Drew just sells more- and yeah, it's probably because stereotypically girls like to read more than boys- but that's not always true. (And being a boy, I definitely read The Hardy Boys more, but I have read some Nancy Drew too.)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Mattie

Hey im a girl and i read HB waaaay more than ND

hardygirl847

Considering the backing that ND has from multiple companies, etc...yeah, she sells more because she's around more. Hardy Boys are very understated and totally not marketed at all. I see WAY more ND in the bookstores than I do HB. ND has newer series and actually can be found in the store. Whereas HB...we have to hunt the internet for anything new...Frankly (haha not intended)...if I wasn't on this forum or HDA...I wouldn't even know about the new HBs coming out.

To me, HB have SO much potential for a HUGE come back...but the powers that be focus way more on ND. I truly hope that Nelvana can revamp them (but keeping them current as well as close to the series) and introduce a whole new generation to them. They really could be the next big thing...IF it is done right.

In the time being, I guess we can make our own Hardy Boys madlibs. New thread idea?? :)

Mattie

It probably has something to do with nancy drew movie that came out in 2007

MacGyver

Sounds like an idea. Maybe someone want to post a favorite scene from one of the books (i.e. transcript) and then fill in a few key verbs, adjectives and adverbs? ;D

hardygirl847

I found one on HDA but it was made up and not from the books. Hmm I will need some time to work on this. :) Oh, and it would probably be more fun if you didn't know what you were adding the words to. Yeah, give me some time to work on this. Look for a new thread. I'll start it when I have something we can use. :)

Olivia

That should be really fun. Great idea.