Get a Hardy Boys.

Started by SDLagent, August 09, 2008, 10:40:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomswift2002

Quote from: 003Robin457 on August 21, 2008, 07:24:48 PM
I tell ya the UBs are prequils. Palyback is doomed! Baw Ha Ha Ha! (we need an Evil Smile)

No, the UB's are ALTERNATE UNIVERSE STORIES, they are NOT PREQUELS TO THE ORIGINAL HARDY BOYS OR THE HARDY BOYS CASEFILES.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

Olivia

Can you imagine if HB:UB was a prequel to the Casefiles?

-ATAC would be brought down somehow or shut down and basically, never be spoken of again (or it could be a big, bad dream ;))
-Suddenly Frank and Joe's involvement in cases is no longer a secret
-Aunt Gertrude changes her name to Trudy
-WARD disappears and the Assassins appear
-Iola lives and then Iola dies
-HB:UB (for lack of a better term) transfers from its juvenile tone to the more mature Casefiles

That actually sort of makes some sense :o

ATAC actually doesn't need to be spoken of again because it's suppose to be top secret, after all! (Then again, it doesn't mean they wouldn't let the readers in on it, or if someone from their past reappears...).

The only big factor would be the technological and media-related references (and some personality change, which makes sense because they get more mature). I mean besides that, am I missing something?

Am I cRaZy?

P.S. I don't agree or want it to be a prequel, I'm just throwing out how the possibility could work.

SDLagent

I can see thinking the UB is are prequel. At first I tried to fit it in as a prequel...but it just does NOT work!

For one thing, Trudy is called Gertrude in all other continuities, and for another she moves in with the Hardys in Graphic Novel, but in the first few Hardy Boys she doesn't live with them. And another thing, they move away from Elm and High, where they live for both the Original and Casefiles continuities. And evidence just keeps piling up...in the Casefiles it seems that Frank and Joe have had little or no experience working with crime fighting organizations.

As you can tell, like I said, I did try to fit the UB in there some how with the rest of The Hardy Boys. Sadly I came to the conclusion that it can't be done, since S&S seems to be ignoring cannon history all together, and in the process of doing so, long time HB fans.

SDLagent

Quote from: oliviatocali on August 21, 2008, 08:51:15 PM
Can you imagine if HB:UB was a prequel to the Casefiles?

-Suddenly Frank and Joe's involvement in cases is no longer a secret

Well, neither Frank and Joe's parents or Gertrude know about the boys involvement with the Network at first.

-Iola lives and then Iola dies
Well, you have to be living to die, so that point doesn't make much sense.

The only big factor would be the technological and media-related references (and some personality change, which makes sense because they get more mature). I mean besides that, am I missing something?
Well S&S can't help the tech part...things do change. (just like they did from the originals and the Casefiles)

As for the personality changes, I didn't mention it in my last post, but that's one of the biggest reasons why the UB is AU.

P.S. I don't agree or want it to be a prequel, I'm just throwing out how the possibility could work.

So you'd rather S&S had ignored history (like they did) and make an AU series, then them make a new series that fits in with the others?  :o

Olivia

Quote from: SDLagent on August 21, 2008, 09:05:00 PM
Well, neither Frank and Joe's parents or Gertrude know about the boys involvement with the Network at first.

But they do know about them solving mysteries/cases, don't they? I'm not 100% sure on this, because as I've said, I've only read a handful of the Casefiles. And the Network's presence in the Casefiles is different from the way ATAC is used in HB:UB.

Well, you have to be living to die, so that point doesn't make much sense.

But it's better then being killed off at first (Casefiles), and then suddenly reappearing (HB:UB). Not that the Casefiles would come before HB:UB, but still.

Well S&S can't help the tech part...things do change. (just like they did from the originals and the Casefiles)

As for the personality changes, I didn't mention it in my last post, but that's one of the biggest reasons why the UB is AU.

But they could mature. Especially Joe, after what happens in Dead on Target.

So you'd rather S&S had ignored history (like they did) and make an AU series, then them make a new series that fits in with the others?  :o

Like I said, I'm not for it, but I still say that it seems like it could work in some kind of semblance.

SDLagent

Quote from: oliviatocali on August 21, 2008, 09:43:34 PM
But they could mature. Especially Joe, after what happens in Dead on Target.

Like I said, I'm not for it, but I still say that it seems like it could work in some kind of semblance.

But no one changes that much! And look at Frank - he's way differant too.

Olivia

Yeah, I know it's a stretch, but I say it's still sorta possible. I think Joe can make the leap, but I'm not so sure about Frank.

Anyways, like I said, the technology/media stuff/personality are the biggest factors to disprove it, in my opinion.

Seriously, though, I started a post with how it was impossible for HB:UB to be a prequel, and then I ended up with a post about how I think it's almost possible ::)

tomswift2002

Gray Man: Hi, I'm the Gray Man
Q (sounding tinny): And I'm Q!
Gray: So, Q, what do you do for the government?
Q: Sorry, I can't tell you, otherwise I would blow ATAC's cover.
Gray: Why would you blow ATAC's cover?  I mean I help out all the time and I don't blow my agencies cover.
Q: Well, the new policies setup by the Bush administration and before that the Clinton administration tell me that I must not reveal the presence of ATAC to anyone.
Gray: Uh?  Whatever!  We never had anything like that under the Bush administration or the Clinton adminstration. 
Q: Whatever you say, Grandpa!
Gray: Are you sure that you are not in league with United States Espionage Resources?  You know, we busted those guys back a few years ago.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 

Olivia

Good one, Tom!

ETA: I'm glad you used the Gray Man & Q :D

tomswift2002

Continuing:

Gray: I've been cloned three times, how many times have you been cloned?
Q: Cloned?  They only to do that to sheep, moron.
Gray: Okay, since I've helped defeat those clones with the Hardy's I would say that I've done a lot more missions than you.
Q: You're mission is to investigate who is killing all the contestants in the World Series New Sausage Dogs Eating Contest.
Gray: A sausage eating contest?  My agency doesn't touch those.  We deal with terrorism, espionage, political assassinations, arms smuggling.
Q: I'm giving you a direct order.
Gray: Sorry, but my agency has a higher ranking than ATAC.  While we occassional run into street thugs, we avoid the crimes that the local police can solve.  So, I can't take orders from you.  Infact, I just sent an email to the President informing him of you mundane actions.
Q: You will investigate the World Series New Sausage Dogs Eating Contest as ordered.
Gray: Whatever!

Olivia

LOL! That continued part is sooo true! It really sounds like Q even though we haven't heard much from him.

003Robin457

Quote from: SDLagent on August 21, 2008, 08:54:05 PM
I can see thinking the UB is are prequel. At first I tried to fit it in as a prequel...but it just does NOT work!

For one thing, Trudy is called Gertrude in all other continuities, and for another she moves in with the Hardys in Graphic Novel, but in the first few Hardy Boys she doesn't live with them. And another thing, they move away from Elm and High, where they live for both the Original and Casefiles continuities. And evidence just keeps piling up...in the Casefiles it seems that Frank and Joe have had little or no experience working with crime fighting organizations.

As you can tell, like I said, I did try to fit the UB in there some how with the rest of The Hardy Boys. Sadly I came to the conclusion that it can't be done, since S&S seems to be ignoring cannon history all together, and in the process of doing so, long time HB fans.
I'm thinking those are nonconan since they explane a different way that Trudy gets her name than Huricane Joe. But why can't Trudy move out then back in, or the Hardys move back to maple?

NZone

OK, vote time, whose are the best? Tom's, SDL's. Olivia's, or NZone's?
Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men.

Olivia

Come on. Must you put the spotlight on me again? It's obvious that are mine at the bottom ::) :'(

NZone

Don't worry, rejection's just a part of life. Knowing you, you've got to be used to it by now.
Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men.