Undercover Brothers- A success?

Started by Centrion, December 15, 2007, 08:41:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

So, do you think the Undercover Brothers are a success?

Yes, their pretty good
9 (40.9%)
No, they need a rewrite
1 (4.5%)
Neither yes nor no, their just okay
4 (18.2%)
They should write a different series
8 (36.4%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Centrion

So, what do you think of the Undercover Brothers?
Don't worry, I have a plan.
-Frank
Right. Every time you say that, I usually do something stupid, like jump in a septic tank.
-Joe

White Eagle

A man with wings can do anything, but a man with a rocket can do Everything!

tomswift2002

I voted for "They should write another series" because this one stinks.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

Centrion

Yeah, their okay, but I wish they'd have a re-write, personnaly.
Don't worry, I have a plan.
-Frank
Right. Every time you say that, I usually do something stupid, like jump in a septic tank.
-Joe

White Eagle

Personally, I don't really have much of an opinion at all when it comes to the UBs.
A man with wings can do anything, but a man with a rocket can do Everything!

"You!"

I voted for a rewrite, I don't like the first person narrative.  :P
CAB :)

Raven

I don't really care much for UB. They should write a different series. That's my vote.  :)

mystery chick 901

some are good, some aren't, so I said they are okay. :)

Jokerette

>:( >:(you guys are wild!! ???wake up and smell the coffee! :ohow could you guys not love 'em??
I know that all you need is love, but I believe an Xbox Kinnect is pretty essential too, am I right?

Olivia

I put just okay. Of course I wouldn't mind a rewrite though. It seems like they are improving and then other times it's like they are taking two steps back.

tomswift2002

Yesterday I was rereading part of Leslie McFarlane's autobiography, Ghost Of The Hardy Boys http://hardyboys.wikia.com/wiki/Ghost_of_the_Hardy_Boys, McFarlane mentioned that it took him only three weeks to write one of the early Hardy Boys stories, with an average of 210 pages and 23-24 chapters.  When you compare those books that contain all sorts of spelling and grammatical errors, next to the books that are being put out now, the Hardy Boys Undercover Brothers series pales in comparison.  And we're guessing that it only takes the authors maybe two or three weeks to write the books, plus add another couple of weeks of editing and revision writing, and you end up a lot of times with books that are not even worth the price that you paid for them.  I started #18 Pushed back when it first came out in September/October 2007, and I dropped it after I had read almost 6 chapters and I haven't picked the book up since, and yet I've read the three books after it. 

If I was given the option of picking between the two most recent stand-alone Hardy Boys volumes 18, A Killing In The Market (1988) and Pushed (2007), I would take A Killing In The Market over Pushed.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 

nick123456789

Most of the books are pretty good. Some are stupid, but overall I think they're pretty good.

Jokerette

if you don't like 'em, dn't badmouth 'em! so you don't like 'em, dosen't mean we all hate 'em! >:( >:(
I know that all you need is love, but I believe an Xbox Kinnect is pretty essential too, am I right?

SDLagent

I voted for ''they should write a new series'', because while I don't mind the series, I know how much better the Hardys can be (even the Graphic Novels are better, these days).

On the other hand it probably wouldn?t be the best idea to start a whole new series, maybe just a revamp.

In a perfect world cut back on ATAC, but if S&S didn't want to cut back on ATAC, then take it another direction. Maybe make like MI6 in the Alex Rider series, because I wouldn't mind ATAC that much, if it meant that Frank and Joe could go up against big organizations. What?s with the one man shows ATAC always has the boys investigate? Please that?s see some GANGS, as in a group of more then one or two people! It would be great if they brought WARD into the series, but I don't think they will, since it is Scott Lobell's creation.

tomswift2002

I agree with the gangs.  In the UB's it seems that the Hardy's are always battling one man shows who only want to murder other contestants or kill for some other reason. I mean, reading a murder mystery can be great but in the UB's S&S is just beating the murder story to death.  Will they ever stop flailing a dead horse?  Even the new trilogy appears to be 3 different murder crimes committed by 3 different people and are connected by another overused plot: they all take place on the set of a reality TV show.

What the UB's need is a group like the Assassin's from the Casefiles, and even then, gangs that are not even connected to the Assassin's (WARD) or The Network (ATAC), but are stand-alone and last for 3 volumes like the Phoenix gang did.  And each book was about a different crime Phoenix was involved in - Poaching and animal smuggling (#1), environmental crimes and weapon smuggling (#2), people smuggling and slavery (#3).  Sure smuggling was the main crime, but there were also crimes that were minor plots in the books: attempted murder, murder, break and entry, terrorism, molotov cocktail explosions, etc.