New Hardy Boys TV series coming!

Started by SDLagent, October 02, 2010, 08:58:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VLoneWolf

MacGyver

"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

tomswift2002

Quote from: MacGyver on January 10, 2013, 03:23:22 PM
I found this quite by accident today- I wasn't really looking for it, but stumbled across it and it is very interesting indeed.
Is this possibly the start of casting for the new Hardy Boys show? I am somehow getting the impression that this is a fanbased thing and not the new show from Nelvana- but I am not totally sure. Anyway, just out this site with an audition call for a new Hardy Boys Mysteries series and the main site with further casting information and location pictures. From what I read on the main site, the goal is to film a number of episodes like for a television series and the first one is an adaptation of The Tower Treasure. There are characters listed that don't appear in the book though, so I guess they will be used in later episodes. I also noticed some of the characterizations seem to be based on aspects added to the characters later on in the book series' life (like some Casefiles characterizations for Phil Cohen being computer smart, for example.)

Well from the list that I saw, all the characters did appear in the 1927 version that Leslie McFarlane wrote.

As for the legality, considering that they mention that they are going to be seeking sponsorship in the future, I think this is probably a legal thing, and Spike Industries might be the major production company behind it, with Nelvana acting as a co-production company and as the distributor for the series.  You know, it might be like Bad Robot with "Fringe" and "Star Trek", with Bad Robot producing both, but Warner Brothers handles the distribution for Bad Robot of Fringe, while Paramount co-owns the Star Trek copyright and acts as distributor for the Star Trek films.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

Okay then- it's been a while since I read the 1927 original- I didn't recall Phil Cohen and some of the other chums being in there beyond Chet Morton, but I guess some of them were then.
      And you're right- I hadn't thought about those kinds of partnerships- that may be the case. It just seems like Nelvana would've been mentioned on there somewhere- but maybe this is the group that they commissioned to work on the project and there wasn't any need to acknowledge it.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

tomswift2002

Don't forget that sponsorship would also refer to product placement.  So if they were going to seek out Pepsi or Coca-Cola to contribute money by showcasing their products n any potential series, the producers would need to make sure that their series was legal.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

VLoneWolf

That makes sense about them coproduceing the series.

Judah-Ben-Hur

Here's  the producer's site : http://spikeindustries.moonfruit.com/
To me I'm starting to doubt the legitimacy of this project, though the title logo shown is professional in the casting call. I just can't see S&S selling the Hardy Boys cheap (though obviously they aren't marketed nearly as much as Miss Drew *grumbles*), and I don't see Nevada (or whatever their called) going with such a small studio---unless it's a shell.

the 1927 text includes Biff, Phil, Jerry and Chet. Though Chet , Phil and Jerry have the most presence in my memory. Part of the reason they are missing in the revision is that many of the after school baseball games, and what not are eliminated and such things as finding Chet's car is done as a group of boys not just Frank and Joe.
Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.~ Joshua 1:9

MacGyver

Thanks for the link, Judah Ben-Hur. (Great user name, by the way. Classic novel by Lew Wallace and of course, at the movies- Best Picture of 1959! :) 8)  I love the full title of the book though: Ben-Hur: A Tale of The Christ :D - it's all about Him and the change He brings to our lives when we let Him.)

The studio doing the show is Nelvana and I am also not sure how legitimate this deal is- but we'll see. It's the first evidence I've seen that Nelvana is actually moving forward on a new Hardy Boys TV show- if they are truly involved with this.
     Thanks too for the rundown on the chums in the Original Text. It's been a while since I've read it, but I do recall them now that you and others have mentioned it.
And welcome to the forums! Glad to have you here. Have fun and God bless. :) 8)

Judah-Ben-Hur

Ben-Hur is my favorite book ;) And yes Best Picture winner, though I personally think it only a so-so adaptation (and Heston as good as he is , is TOO OLD!! XD)

That's them! I thought there was an L in there somewhere.

thanks ;)
Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.~ Joshua 1:9

VLoneWolf

MacGyver

QuoteBen-Hur is my favorite book  And yes Best Picture winner, though I personally think it only a so-so adaptation (and Heston as good as he is , is TOO OLD!! XD)

That's them! I thought there was an L in there somewhere.

thanks
It's been a while since I've seen it, but I thought it was a great movie myself. I've got the book at home but haven't gotten around to reading it yet. I will have to give it a try when I get a chance.

MacGyver

QuoteI hope it is a legmite show.
Time will tell.